[Patch] Convert all rail depots and their trains r8 (r26360)

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

MJP
Engineer
Engineer

[Patch] Convert all rail depots and their trains r8 (r26360)

Post by MJP »

Hi!

Here is a patch that allows the player to convert a rail depot to another rail type (parts of the code are taken from other files of OpenTTD, especially the autoreplace system). Since it adds a new internal command, it breaks multiplayer compatibility (but if all players applied the patch, it should work).

To fully convert a rail network:
  1. First you send all your trains to depot.
  2. Then you use the classic convert tool (the depot containing trains are not modified).
  3. Here is the new part: you open and upgrade the remaining depots:
    new_button_in_depot_window.png
    new_button_in_depot_window.png (15.29 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
  4. A conversion window appears (see autoreplace? the same). You may choose a specific rail type with the dropdown in the bottom left corner. For each item on the left, you choose a replacement. If there is at least one train still moving in/out of a depot, an error message will appear (in that case, close the window, wait all your trains stop and retry).
    convert_window.png
    convert_window.png (10.04 KiB) Viewed 2645 times
  5. That's all.
Patch:
convert_depot_r8_for_r26360.patch
(43.13 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
[r8]
- fix data transfer in multiplayer (require Packet::Send/Recv_binary() provided with enhanced viewport)

[r7]
- Fix compilation with gcc.
Last edited by MJP on 22 Feb 2014 20:01, edited 7 times in total.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [Patch] Convert a rail depot and its trains

Post by Eddi »

and how would repeating the replacement scheme for each of the 500 depots on your 2kx2k map be easier than using the universal railtype?
MJP
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [Patch] Convert a rail depot and its trains

Post by MJP »

I didn't know about this GRF which seems to be a great solution.
It should be more advertised, maybe integrated to the game and enabled by default.
Anyway, thanks for the tip!
MJP
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [Patch] Convert all rail depots and their trains r2

Post by MJP »

I can't add a NewGRF to an already existing savegame so I still need this patch for the time being (and it's fun to do too).
Repeating the process once per depot is clearly unacceptable so I've extended the patch functionality: one ctrl-click, one mapping of replacements and that's all (although the universal rail type is still much easier to use).

The patch r2 is quite functional but I have no clue concerning the 3 known bugs...

Edit: For the bug of the cost, I left a TODO uncoded :( The paid price is certainly right while the estimation is wrong. I need to get some sleep...
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: [Patch] Convert all rail depots and their trains r3

Post by Zuu »

MJP wrote:upgrade a rail depot to the next rail type
How is this "next" rail type determined? In some rail NewGRFs and/or train NewGRFs there may not be a clear "next" rail. Also if there is a high maintenance cost of some rail type, it may be cases when users want to downgrade even in cases when "next" and "previous" type is possible to determine automatically.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
MJP
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [Patch] Convert all rail depots and their trains r4

Post by MJP »

The r3 is indeed an upgrade tool based only on the enum RailType. I took a deeper look at _railtypes and extended the GUI to take into account all 16 possibilities. The next available rail type is now determined according to the sorting_order and a new dropdown let the player change that value. Downgrading is now possible but there are limitations (cargo decrease of wagons). Concerning NewGRF compatibility, I checked very quickly with NuTracks and it seemed OK.

However I don't know how to dynamically rebuild the list of a dropdown, how could I do that? (it's just to remove the selected rail type from the other choices)
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

MJP wrote:However I don't know how to dynamically rebuild the list of a dropdown, how could I do that? (it's just to remove the selected rail type from the other choices)
It would be better to mark that option as disabled. That is more transparent for users than hiding the option.

IIRC there is a solution in the GUI framework to always (re-)build the drop down when it is opened. There you can specify these things if you are not able to modify the drop down content without rebuilding.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
MJP
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MJP »

Zuu wrote:IIRC there is a solution in the GUI framework to always (re-)build the drop down when it is opened. There you can specify these things if you are not able to modify the drop down content without rebuilding.
How embarrassing :oops: I had it working at a time, I thought I was doing it wrong for obviously no good reason and I commented the check. OK, so the dropdown's rebuild function is called from OnClick() and there we can build[+store] a list or provide a previous one (it was my first time using a dropdown in ottd). At least, following your advice, I had to review that part and got it working.

But seeing how it looks, this is not easy to "read". The other dropdown are on the scheme "title that introduces items"+list, that gives "Change type into" and the full rail types list. Looks good to me.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”