Fake Airport Anthology - Development & Test Release Thread

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Fake Airport Anthology is a soon-to-be-released NewGRF Station and NewObject collection of airport-themed artwork which can be used to enhance the appearance of functional airports in TTDPatch and OpenTTD, or create fantastic, non-functional airports which serve only as eyecandy.

The project is both inspired by and directly draws upon the original Fake Diagonal Airports set that was drawn by RSpeed Tycoonfreak and coded by Jezulkim. The initial releases will address some issues in both the code and artwork of the original project, and work towards making as much of RSpeed's artwork and mock-ups available and playable. Some art will be modified and improved upon, some lost and discarded art will be re-introduced, and new works of art inspired by RSpeed's graphics will be introduced.

Later planned versions of the project will expand to make use of additional artwork from other projects such as OpenGFX+ Airports and Combined Airport Set, and will also introduce new, original artwork as time goes on (and permits).

The initial project has the blessing of RSpeed Tycoonfreak, whom has allowed me to use the graphics and code as I wish. I have also secured the same blessing and use of the Combined Airport Set by Skidd33. As OpenGFX+ Airports is released under GNU Public License, the work may be re-purpose and adapted, with thanks be to all of the developers and artists who contributed to it.

----------
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Can aircraft use these tiles?
No, these are not usable airport tiles. They are eyecandy NewGRF Station and NewObject tiles. Aircraft cannot use them at this time.

Why code these as NewGRF Stations? Shoudn't these be NewObjects?
As of this time the majority of the project will be coded as NewGRF Stations due to the shortage of NewObject IDs available. Other NewObject sets such as MariCo, ISR/DWE NewObjects and VAST already use a significant number of sprites and layouts. By comparison, there are thousands of Station IDs available.

Why can't I land my planes on the runway tiles?
No, these are not usable airport tiles. They are eyecandy newGRF Station and NewObject tiles. Aircraft cannot use them at this time.

If these are NewGRF Stations, can trains use them?
As of this time, no. Rail station add-ons to complement airport-themed graphics may be created in the future, though.

HELP! I built this great airport, and I have thousands of passengers, but no planes can visit! What happened?
You did it wrong. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.
Last edited by kamnet on 07 Oct 2013 08:02, edited 2 times in total.
kamnet

Fake Airport Anthology - Pavement Test Release

Post by kamnet »

To get an idea of where things are going, I am releasing a test/taster set of some of the planned airport pavements for the set. These tiles come either directly from, or adapted from Fake Diagonal Airports v2.2 beta. NOTE: This is not a final release, and should not be expected to work with future releases from the project.

Changes:
  • The ground sprite displayed when using OpenGFX base set showed cleared forest. The base ground sprite now shows temperate grass. Future versions may add code which allows for variable ground sprites based on the environment, either automatically or by a configurable option.
  • Addition of full-tile asphalt diagonal runways, taxiways and diagonal runway markers. Some of this was available in the original Fake Diagonal Airports v1.0 release, but was removed in subsequent revisions. Entirely new graphics were created in order to match the asphalt color.
  • Correction of runway lights on diagonal runways. In the last release, the top-half and bottom-half of the diagonal runway lights ran in opposite directions. these lights now run in-sync in the same direction. NOTE: The runway lights are not in-sync on the diagonal runway markers, this will be corrected in a future version.
  • Touch-up on the edges of the straight runways to make them more flush. Similar touch-ups are still needed on some of the diagonal runways and taxiways.
  • Introduction of new pavement artwork. New NE/NW diagonal taxiways, blast pads and closed runway markers are now introduced. Some adjustment may be needed on sprites, depending on feedback.
All feedback is appreciated, please enjoy this test release!
Attachments
faa-pavement-screenshot.png
faa-pavement-screenshot.png (35.92 KiB) Viewed 6131 times
faa-pavement.grf
(23.15 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
SkiddLow
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: Fake Airport Anthology - Development & Test Release Thre

Post by SkiddLow »

Also aircrafts can run this
jvassie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jvassie »

SkiddLow wrote:Also aircrafts can run this
Assuming you mean 'Can aircraft use these eextended tiles?', the answer is no, as Kamnet stated in the OP:
Kamnet wrote:non-functional airports which serve only as eyecandy.
(British) Modular Stations Set - Thread: | Website:
Swiss Set - Thread: | Website:
Route Map Creator
My Screenshot Thread
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Excellent! :bow:

Couple of suggestions:

- Try to make the yellow markers a bit more gritty, they look too clean.

- I imagine you will add some fake parkingspots (where in actual airports the planes would stop to load/unload), maybe include some that have airplanes from various GPL-licensed planesets on them. That could make big airports a bit more interesting.

- Either a seperate GRF or included in this GRF (via parameter), change the graphics of actual airports to match them with fake tiles. So for example change the grey landing strips into the blue-ish/purple-ish color. And/or remove buildings to blend in the actual airport even more. I have done this for my personal games a long time ago (allthough with a couple of different GRF's) and it looks a lot better IMO:
Schiphol02.png
(408.86 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Quast65 wrote:Try to make the yellow markers a bit more gritty, they look too clean.
I'll try, but it goes against my nature ;-)
Quast65 wrote:I imagine you will add some fake parkingspots (where in actual airports the planes would stop to load/unload), maybe include some that have airplanes from various GPL-licensed planesets on them. That could make big airports a bit more interesting.
If I add any planes other than what RSpeed already included (and I'm not sure where he got them from), I'll probably stick to either OpenGFX (or OpenGFX+ Airplanes, if it ever gets started).
Quast65 wrote:Either a seperate GRF or included in this GRF (via parameter), change the graphics of actual airports to match them with fake tiles.
If you have some code that can make that happen, then we might actually be able to do a whole lot more.

My next release will most likely be the entire sprite library of RSpeed Tycoon, with buildings, objects etc. There are some things I would like to clean up and improve upon. For example, the underground parking entrance/exit tiles look dreadful. :-)
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

kamnet wrote:
Quast65 wrote:Either a seperate GRF or included in this GRF (via parameter), change the graphics of actual airports to match them with fake tiles.
If you have some code that can make that happen, then we might actually be able to do a whole lot more.
It would probably be easier to change the fake airport tiles. For the actual airport tiles to change it's tiles the code would have to be in the actual airport's GRF. A better strategy would be to design this set to be consistent with the default airports. Then an airport GRF author could design his own graphics and substitute them into this file.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

isn't there already a GRF with lots of airport skins?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

wallyweb wrote:
kamnet wrote:
It would probably be easier to change the fake airport tiles. For the actual airport tiles to change it's tiles the code would have to be in the actual airport's GRF. A better strategy would be to design this set to be consistent with the default airports. Then an airport GRF author could design his own graphics and substitute them into this file.
Yep, that strategy is outlined in my first post. :mrgreen:
Eddi wrote:isn't there already a GRF with lots of airport skins?
Combined Airport Set, but it is quite broken in OpenTTD these days.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

kamnet wrote:
Eddi wrote:isn't there already a GRF with lots of airport skins?
Combined Airport Set, but it is quite broken in OpenTTD these days.
I think he means: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 8#p1061666
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I'm pretty sure he was referring to Combined Airport Set, which lets you select seven different style of pavements and buildings via parameter. One of the first styles added actually came from RSpeed Tycoon.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Here's an updated test release of the pavements. I've closed some of the noticeable gaps on the diagonal runways and taxiways, I cleaned up the runways so that they look more straight and uniform. I toned down the yellow color and tried to make it more "gritty", I dunno if anybody will like it but I'm satisfied with it. I may add another pavement tile or two, but I think I'm pretty much done with this phase.
Attachments
faa-pavement.grf
(23.28 KiB) Downloaded 108 times
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Oh, so these are actually station tiles ?

Actually, I'd like them more if the lines are thinner - the frst yellows were actually more better and realistic :o
IRL these lines are fairly thin (from pilot perspective) but they're bright enough to be seen...
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Working on some of the buildings this morning, here's some slightly reworked RSpeed Tycoon sprites mixed in with OpenGFX+ Airport Objects.
Attachments
faa-rst-2013-10-09.png
faa-rst-2013-10-09.png (20.66 KiB) Viewed 5560 times
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

kamnet wrote:Working on some of the buildings this morning, here's some slightly reworked RSpeed Tycoon sprites mixed in with OpenGFX+ Airport Objects.
Looks very good. Beautifully :)) .
[OpenTTD] STD screenshots
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[OpenTTD] STD saved games - My finished scenarios and saves from the game
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

After a couple of days, here's a sprite sheet for most of the completed buildings.
Attachments
faa-building.png
faa-building.png (34.44 KiB) Viewed 5377 times
frosch
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by frosch »

FYI:
r25831: -Change: Increase the object class limit from 32 to 255. (sbr)
r25834: -Change: [NewGRF] Lower the limit of object types per NewGRF from 256 to 255 to prevent usage of ID 0xFF in Action3, and thus allowing it to become an extended byte somewhen.
r25835: -Change: Increase the total number of object types from 256 to 64000.
r25844: -Change: Increase maximum number of object instances on the map from 64k to about 16M.
For comparison: Stations have the same limit of 255 per NewGRF. And global limits of 255 classes, 256 types per class, and 255 parts per station.
⢇⡸⢸⠢⡇⡇⢎⡁⢎⡱⢸⡱⢸⣭⠀⢸⢜⢸⢸⣀⢸⣀⢸⣭⢸⡱⠀⢰⠭⡆⣫⠰⣉⢸⢸⠀⢰⠭⡆⡯⡆⢹⠁⠀⢐⠰⡁
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

That is most excellent news!!!!!
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Some new screenshots!
Attachments
buildings2.png
buildings2.png (40.06 KiB) Viewed 5091 times
buildings1.png
buildings1.png (17.82 KiB) Viewed 5091 times

Return to “Graphics Development”