Concept: Fake Bridge

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

zooks
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Concept: Fake Bridge

Post by zooks »

Playing around with this concept for a while. The idea is to place objects so that foundations look like bridges. The newgrf can be found inside the banana.

Any ideas or suggestions, post them here. This is just a proof of concept as my drawing skills are horrible. Source is at http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/fake-bridges, license GPL2.

Examples:
http://www.tt-forums.net/download/file. ... &id=173652

Underwater tunnel examples:
http://www.tt-forums.net/download/file.php?id=173775

cheers,

Zooks
Attachments
example.png
example.png (377.68 KiB) Viewed 1951 times
menu.png
menu.png (10.16 KiB) Viewed 19947 times
Last edited by zooks on 05 Sep 2013 18:01, edited 3 times in total.
Jacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Concept: Fake Bridge

Post by Jacko »

that's actually a really cool idea

although I'm thinking different sprites would be needed for different textures (i.e. OpenGFX vs TTD gfx)
"O2 is for noobs, real people breath O3" ~ said sometime by Me

All comments from me may or may not be true and do not take them word-for-word

Feel Free to join me and some other people in The Nations Game - its actually quite fun.

1000th Post at Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:43 am
2000th post at Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:22 am
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I see a whole new range of possibilities for this terrific idea. If clipping doesn't ruin the fun you can design different railings to allow even more bridge types. I'm loving it already.

PS: it kind of feels like Simcity 4's ploppable water arrived in OpenTTD.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Mh, some neatly water-weathered foundations seaside foundations would be awesome ...

I once again hope NewObject placing will be improvement at some point, as playing OpenTTD gets more and more tedious as more of these nice GRFs appear. Build a complex train network - few minutes. Place eye-candy - some hours. ;)

Aside from that, yeah, clipping seems like the biggest concern.
Katve
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Katve »

This is pretty interesting concept. I hope that some GRF artist takes idea and we will see full set of these.
tazzy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tazzy »

Well thank you for reading my mind, I was thinking about how useful bridges for pedestrians would be for one city in my new game about a week ago :D
tasmania devil.
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

tazzy wrote:Well thank you for reading my mind, I was thinking about
+1

I have wondering if it's possible to use two bridge ID's for almost same/similar looking bridge (highways, two way railways) to look as a one? Or is there much clipping expected?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

zooks wrote:Any ideas or suggestions, post them here. This is just a proof of concept as my drawing skills are horrible. Source is attached here, license GPL2. I can ask for a repository over at coop if someone is willing to provide better sprites.
Doesn't that make sense regardless whether anyone draws additional sprites or not, and if it's only on grounds that it's found there much easier than a single tar in a single thread in a huge forum?
zooks
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by zooks »

planetmaker wrote:
zooks wrote:Any ideas or suggestions, post them here. This is just a proof of concept as my drawing skills are horrible. Source is attached here, license GPL2. I can ask for a repository over at coop if someone is willing to provide better sprites.
Doesn't that make sense regardless whether anyone draws additional sprites or not, and if it's only on grounds that it's found there much easier than a single tar in a single thread in a huge forum?
You're right. But I didn't want to spam that place with stuff nobody wants, so I wanted to poll the forums first. BTW, this specific thread is linked to from bananas, so it is not entirely that hard to find the source.
Clipping issues
As long as you're not drawing higher than the foundations, there is no clipping. But yeah, if you want railings and stuff, there could be clipping

cheers!
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

ISA wrote:I have wondering if it's possible to use two bridge ID's for almost same/similar looking bridge (highways, two way railways) to look as a one? Or is there much clipping expected?
there should be no serious problem with that. just nobody has done it yet. and there's generally a shortage of bridge IDs.
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

Eddi wrote:
ISA wrote:I have wondering if it's possible to use two bridge ID's for almost same/similar looking bridge (highways, two way railways) to look as a one? Or is there much clipping expected?
there should be no serious problem with that. just nobody has done it yet. and there's generally a shortage of bridge IDs.
Yes, ID's are the main cause and most important thing I think! If I don't forget it before end of the month, when I have my week off, I should try it out some fairly easy brige and see how it looks! Hope the best and I also hope that someone can beat me on that idea!
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

ISA wrote:
Eddi wrote:
Yes, ID's are the main cause and most important thing I think! If I don't forget it before end of the month, when I have my week off, I should try it out some fairly easy brige and see how it looks! Hope the best and I also hope that someone can beat me on that idea!
I have actually done that already: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 0#p1078538 :wink:

It works just fine, but as Eddi says, it's very impractical due to limited bridge id's. Zooks' approach is better in that respect, unfortunately though it only works on one height level.
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

That what I was imagine exactly! It's also possible with railroads? Or the cap between goes too big? As seen on the picture flat brige seems fine, what about large/higher ones (catenary bridge and other similar ones?)
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

ISA wrote:That what I was imagine exactly! It's also possible with railroads? Or the cap between goes too big? As seen on the picture flat brige seems fine, what about large/higher ones (catenary bridge and other similar ones?)
Although I never tried any other types of bridges, there's no reason for it to not work in those situations as well. It's a fun concept, but again, with only 13(?) id's available and having to use two of them for each bridge, it eats up your options pretty quickly. :)
zooks
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by zooks »

Update with some more fancy stuff. Included are now GRFs for working underwater tunnels :)

See the example. It's a bit tricky to build them though.
Attachments
Gordon & Co., 3001-11-27.png
Gordon & Co., 3001-11-27.png (165.67 KiB) Viewed 1951 times
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

SimCity mods ported to OpenTTD :mrgreen:
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Can I make a request to have this available from Year 0? Thought they'd be useful in a 18th century game but they're not available.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

You probably know that, but with the source available and in nml it's really a simple enough change:

Code: Select all

introduction_date:      date(1911,1,1);
to whatever else you want.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Of course I can, but unless I want to create a fork of the project (I don't), I thought it better to make the request here (as suggested in the opening post) for inclusion in the main distribution.

Return to “Graphics Development”