No Difficulty button on Startup Menu with 1.3.2

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Branes51
Engineer
Engineer

No Difficulty button on Startup Menu with 1.3.2

Post by Branes51 »

I just downloaded Open TTD 1.3.2 for the first time. My startup menu has no button to set difficulty and some of the advanced configurations
seem to be missing. For example: I can't find the setting to determine how many spaces to set signals when dragging them over a distance.
It should be in the Construction area, under Signals in Advanced settings but it's not.

If this has been mentioned or answered before, I'm sorry, but I searched under menu and startup and nothing appeared about it.

Edit later: I forgot to search under "difficulty." I did and discovered that difficulty settings were merged into the advanced settings.
Personally, I like the choice of Easy, Normal, Hard or Custom. Having to dig through many levels of advanced settings just to find what you
want is a big pain.

However, I still can't find the setting to change the distance for signals.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: No Difficulty button on Startup Menu with 1.3.2

Post by Supercheese »

That setting has been moved to the signals menu itself, which seems to make a lot more sense to me.
Attachments
Signal density.png
Signal density.png (8.18 KiB) Viewed 3347 times
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
Branes51
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Branes51 »

Thanks, I didn't notice that. Yeah, it makes much more sense.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Regarding advanced settings, there is now a selector to select Basic, Advanced or All settings:

http://wiki.openttd.org/File:Settings_select.png

The reason why Easy/Medium/Hard no longer exist is that those profiles only reflected a few settings. In advanced settings there exist several more settings out of which several has a large impact on the difficulty. Add a NewGRF and you will also alter the difficulty of the game.

At some point "Advanced settings" should probably be renamed to "Settings" or "Game settings". However there is already "Game options". It has been discussed some sort of setting presets similar to the NewGRF presets but for advanced settings.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
fabca2
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by fabca2 »

Zuu wrote: The reason why Easy/Medium/Hard no longer exist is that those profiles only reflected a few settings. In advanced settings there exist several more settings out of which several has a large impact on the difficulty.
Yes, it makes sense, but it was interresting to quickly switch from easy to hard.
It could be possible if we could save (adv-)settings in a kind of template. like we have for newGRF.

For exemple I use a different setting when playing with my children (easy more), when I internet, and when I play alone (hard)...
going to each settings one by one is anoying (that's true that old easy/med/hard was not perfect on that point, because only few settings were available)
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

fabca2 wrote:Yes, it makes sense, but it was interresting to quickly switch from easy to hard.
It could be possible if we could save (adv-)settings in a kind of template. like we have for newGRF.
You can do this today by having several openttd.cfg files, and giving the .cfg file you want with the -c option.
Aphid
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Aphid »

How to do the thing alberth described:

1) Create a copy of openttd.cfg.
2) Rename it to easy.cfg (for example)
3) Alter the settings however you like in the new .cfg.
4) For starting with the command line go to <5>. For starting via a desktop environment, go to <9>
5) Open a command prompt or terminal.
6) Navigate to the openTTD directory.
7) Type openTTD -c easy
8) You're done. However you will have to repeat steps 5-7 every time you wish to start with the new .cfg file.

9) Create a desktop shortcut to openTTD. (In most operating systems you can do this via the right-click context menu in the file explorer)
10) Edit its properties. Among these there should be a link to the program. This will look like /usr/bin/openTTD/openTTD.deb on linux, or C:\\Program Files\OpenTTD\OpenTTD.exe on windows, or /Volumes/MyVolume/Programs/openTTD/openTTD on macOS.
11) Change the line mentioned in <10> by adding '-c easy'.
12) Place your shortcut in your preferred location for starting programs. (A desktop, menu bar, start menu, and so forth), and rename it to something descriptive, for example 'OpenTTD Easy mode'.
13) Use the shortcut to launch openTTD with the new config options.

Note: This may be a useful addition to the wiki with some editing and clarification. Some desktop environments/operating systems may divert from this procedure.
Last edited by Aphid on 19 Aug 2013 06:11, edited 1 time in total.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Aphid wrote: Note: This may be a useful addition to the wiki with some editing and clarification. Some desktop environments/operating systems may divert from this procedure.
It's a wiki. You may edit it.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”