Showing Off My Heightmap: "Star Continent"

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
vtk
Engineer
Engineer

Showing Off My Heightmap: "Star Continent"

Post by vtk »

First of all, I hope it's not improper to do a thread like this, and I hope it's in the right place.

I've created a 1024×1024 heightmap featuring a star-shaped continent, with interesting yet gentle hills. Canyons allow (most) rivers of the interior to flow to the sea, and also provide opportunities for dramatic bridges.

This was created by combining output of a few runs of a custom noise generator I created, then cutting the canyons manually in an image editor. It went through a few rounds of testing to fix some river basins where the game failed to find paths for rivers.

This heightmap is available on Bananas as "Star Continent".

Preview-size images below; see attachments for full-size screenshots.

Attachments
Star Continent Screenshot 1.png
A shallow valley near the sea.
(842.08 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
Star Continent Screenshot 2.png
A deep canyon.
(867.94 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
Star Continent Minimap.png
Entire continent minimap. Your rivers, towns, and industries may vary.
(209.43 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Showing Off My Heightmap: "Star Continent"

Post by Redirect Left »

That's actually pretty good looking. I'd love to play on a scenario like that at some point, well done.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Dave

Post by Dave »

This will need moving as we have a heightmap section, but it looks pretty sweet. Love the canyons.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

I really like the look of that - the problem with the 'realistic' heightmaps is that the conversion squashes them flat so that even huge mountain ranges tend to be almost indiscernable slopes in-game. You've made one with terrain that could actually have a real input on network design, which is awesome. :bow:
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.

Return to “Scenarios and Saved Games”