Graphics Needed for American Trains

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Ruiluth
Engineer
Engineer

Graphics Needed for American Trains

Post by Ruiluth »

So basically I recently picked up NML and I want to do some newgrfs, but unfortunately I'm really bad at drawing sprites. I'm planning these like add-ons to NARS, but that is subject to change. If anyone is interested, here are the sets I am planning to make at some point:

Southern Pacfic Set:
Will include iconic SP engines like the GS-4, Cab Forward, DD35, and other SP engines like pacifics and black widow diesels.

Union Pacific Set:
Will include iconic UP engines like the FEF-3, Big Boy, Challenger, Gas Turbine, Union Pacific class 4-12-2, DD40, etc.

Old West set:
Will include old locomotives like 4-4-0s, 4-6-0s, 2-8-0s, 2-6-0s, etc. Also some other engines like Central Pacific El Gobernador 4-10-0.

Passenger set:
Will include sets of passenger engines and cars like the Daylight train, with a variety of red and orange engines and cars, and the Hiawatha with a 4-4-2 and a 4-6-4, and of course the Super Chief, with warbonnet F7s and silver cars.
Link to the release thread: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=68439

If someone would help me out with any or all of these, that would be really great. I haven't done any newgrfs before so the first iterations might be a little clunky, but I'm sure that if someone can provide me with sprites I can code them. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: here is a list of locomotives and cars I want to make:

Milwaukee class A Atlantic (done) (graphics by me)
Milwaukee class F7 Hudson (done) (graphics by me)
SP GS-4 Northern
SP Mt-4 Mountain
SP P-14 Pacific
SP A-6 Atlantic
NYC Hudson
UP FEF-3
GN S-2 Northern
N&W class J Northern

That seems like a fairly good list, so I'll start with that.
Last edited by Ruiluth on 16 Nov 2013 02:22, edited 5 times in total.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Graphics Needed for American Trains

Post by Purno »

An add-on for NARS, does that mean your sets are gonna be in dual company colors too?

Either way, you might want to make a tracking table to make a list of all the trains you plan to include, as well as any technical data and pictures artists can use. Our adminstrator, orudge, may be able to give you a place to host a TT-related website.

Additionally, there's a few sets who already have some American Trains included, such as the US Set, 2ccSet and the Canadian set. You may want to check their licenses or ask their authors to see if you can use any of it.

And it's quite possible no artists comes around to help you draw the trains. You may have to do some artwork yourself. But if you start developing this set, it's likely eventually someone tags along to help. Most projects take several years to develop, so patience is required :P
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

It's very easy to draw, just do something basic first (not so detailed, no realistic shading, maybe as placeholders), then try to do the whole coding. Maybe you could finish the correct graphics lastly, or some people will draw and you can convert it to GRFs quickly. :wink:
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
TinyMusic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TinyMusic »

YNM wrote:It's very easy to draw
I wish that was true :|
Formerly known as UseYourIllusion.
Java Scenario Found Here - Version 2 out
[tweɪ̂ pû tɕʰì wɔ̀ mǐlɤ lû tɕʰìŋ nì pɑ́ŋmɑ̌ŋ]
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

UseYourIllusion wrote:
I draw a locomotive from a traincar turorial. really.
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

YNM wrote:
UseYourIllusion wrote:
Some may say coding is easy as well. I say it really depends if you got any feeling with it. Same with graphics. For some it's easy, for some it's difficult.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

YNM wrote:
UseYourIllusion wrote:
It is easy if you try :D
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
Ruiluth
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ruiluth »

YNM wrote:It's very easy to draw, just do something basic first (not so detailed, no realistic shading, maybe as placeholders), then try to do the whole coding. Maybe you could finish the correct graphics lastly, or some people will draw and you can convert it to GRFs quickly. :wink:
That was a good idea. Here is a preliminary version of the Passenger Set. I drew my own graphics for the Milwaukee class A 4-4-2 and matching passenger cars. They turned out a lot better than I expected, but I still think they could use a once-over by someone more skilled than me. Couldn't figure out how to balance the running costs with NARS; theirs are ridiculously high (about 4 times the maximum). Tell me what you think and leave suggestions everybody!
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Uh... you forgot to attach it.
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

You didn't upload anything.

To upload a file to the forums, you need to click choose file, then add file then submit.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
Ruiluth
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ruiluth »

Uh.... oops...

I was going o recompile it again before I uploaded it, but I guess I forgot :? . Fail on my part. Unfortunately I'll have to wait till tomorrow to get back to my computer. Maybe by then paulicus25 will have gotten back to me about his gs4 sprite and I can include that too.
Last edited by Ruiluth on 16 Aug 2013 00:11, edited 1 time in total.
Ruiluth
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ruiluth »

Heres the .grf
Attachments
passengerSet.grf
Only the Class A
(6.28 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
paulicus25
Engineer
Engineer

Post by paulicus25 »

You can use my graphics and/or distribute them as long as you accredit me. :). Just promise you'll eventually have a go at the rest.

I might try and have a go at drawing some more sprites for you at the weekend.

Also one thing I have noticed while testing your grf file. It may be realistic but I would suggest avoiding the "you may only put x carriages on this loco and of a specific type" thing. Probably best to leave the decision up to the person playing the game as to what the locomotive hauls. That way they can still choose to haul the correct configuration if they like, but could swap it around instead i.e. run multi headed engines etc.
Ruiluth
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ruiluth »

paulicus25 wrote:You can use my graphics and/or distribute them as long as you accredit me. :). Just promise you'll eventually have a go at the rest.

I might try and have a go at drawing some more sprites for you at the weekend.

Also one thing I have noticed while testing your grf file. It may be realistic but I would suggest avoiding the "you may only put x carriages on this loco and of a specific type" thing. Probably best to leave the decision up to the person playing the game as to what the locomotive hauls. That way they can still choose to haul the correct configuration if they like, but could swap it around instead i.e. run multi headed engines etc.
Awesome! That will save me so much time :D . The thing with the nine-car limit was left over from before I figured out a better way to do the observation car. I'll probably fix that up soon. Double heading right now would mess up the graphics, and I think coupling other cars to it would too. I'll probably fix it eventually. The GS-4 and Mt-4 have this problem too, but I didn't restrict them because they were dual-service engines. The I can't figure out why the pacific doesn't want its tender, so I put it in as a separate car. Anyway, here is the latest version. Thanks again!
Attachments
passengerSet.grf
(26.16 KiB) Downloaded 253 times
Ruiluth
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ruiluth »

Fixed up some graphics issues and gave the pacific the long tender because I couldn't get the short one to work. Anyway, this version is much better than the last.
Attachments
passengerSet.grf
(25.87 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
TinyMusic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TinyMusic »

Can you show some screenshots? I don't have access to a PC right now.
Formerly known as UseYourIllusion.
Java Scenario Found Here - Version 2 out
[tweɪ̂ pû tɕʰì wɔ̀ mǐlɤ lû tɕʰìŋ nì pɑ́ŋmɑ̌ŋ]
Ruiluth
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ruiluth »

I can probably do that soon but I'm going somewhere till Monday. Next in line is probably the class F7 and a single passenger car which changes appearance rather than multiple passenger cars.
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Glad to see someone making more Americann graphics.

Check out the RUST project someone started a while back:
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=56583

I repainted a couple items from the old US Set, repainted an Amtrak car for Phase 2 striping, and did a trial of a Soo Line GP9. No idea what can be done with those, as I basically repainted someone else's graphics.

Tried out your Hiawatha class A and cars. The locomotive seems underpowered, too slow to accelerate with even three empty cars, and obviously the train needs texture and lighting. But so far seems to be a very good start!
Without Trains America Stops

paulicus25
Engineer
Engineer

Post by paulicus25 »

Tested the grf files.

Firstly I said you could use my graphics, not change them. I probably would of said yes but at least ask me before you edit things.

Secondly, you should either set the southern pacific colour option as a refit option rather than separate loco to save on purchase list space. Either that or the player can set their company colours to orange and red :)

Thirdly, I provided animated wheel sprites for my loco. I guess you probably haven't got round to that sort of stuff yet but might be a good idea.

Fourth, the diagonal sprite lops of the bottom corner of the front of the train???

Fifth, I may decide to have a go at redrawing for that smaller loco if you want if I have time, rather than simply squishing the loco.

Lastly, i suggest having a go at rounding the top of the carriages. They look a bit flat at the moment. Try and find some online images of the carriages or use some print screens of other carriages to give you an idea.

However yes I understand that this is an early stage WIP. But it was good to see what I have drawn alive (mostly) in game. Some good first steps. Round of applause.
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Having a hard time reading the entire thread because of a headache. I assume you don't mean my drawings in the RUST thread? Those were modified from the US Set.

May pick up drawing/repainting again. Sort of let it go because the RUST thread generated no interest.
Without Trains America Stops

Return to “Graphics Development”