Changing town names

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

mgal
Engineer
Engineer

Changing town names

Post by mgal »

Sorry, but my searching has failed to turn up any solutions to a problem I'm having. I dislike the regular town names, Little Flunnpool Ridge and suchlike, so was testing a few of the new town name grfs, but I can't seem to get them to work.

I load the newgrf, but in the Game Options before starting a new game, I can only select from a set list that doesn't change based on the newgrf loaded. After starting a game, the Game Options does show the newgrf names I loaded, but everything is greyed out (which makes sense once a game has been started). So can I only use new town name grfs with scenarios or something?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Changing town names

Post by Eddi »

i'm not entirely sure what exactly you did. the "proper" way to use town name grfs:
  1. download a GRF (e.g. from ingame content, or from a website. or write your own)
  2. activate the GRF in NewGRF settings
  3. select the town names in Game Settings (usually at the bottom of the list, below the builtin names)
  4. start a new game (existing games or scenarios cannot be changed)
Vinnie_nl
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Vinnie_nl »

1. In the main menu. load your newgrf's including town names.
2. In the main menu go to the Game Options
3. In Game Options change town names
4. It is the top of the list. above the empty line to seperate newgrf from default town names.

This worked for me

edit: i type to slow
Last edited by Vinnie_nl on 08 Aug 2013 22:21, edited 1 time in total.
mgal
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mgal »

Huh. I was literally just printing out screenshots to show the steps I was following and that I'm not a crazy person, when it started working exactly as you described, and now I can't stop it working as normal. Maybe I need a lie down. :oops:
happysmash27
Engineer
Engineer

Post by happysmash27 »

I'm not sure if I just didn't notice it before, but when I enabled a different set the city name sets started appearing in the list, and when I disabled it they still did.

Return to “General OpenTTD”