[Univ] GRVTS - Generic Road Vehicles and Trams sets

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Aotrs Commander
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [Univ] GRVTS - Generic Road Vehicles and Trams sets

Post by Aotrs Commander »

Aha.

And, in fact, in a roundabout way, you ended up actually answering my former question, as I didn't even notice that the NewGRFs had configuration parameters - which on some of them do indeed let you modify the running costs, which would mean they can be matched to those of the GRVTs!

Thanks!
bjgttd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bjgttd »

There are "Horse Small Passenger Carriages" and "Horse Mail Carriages" in eGRVTS2-175, but no "Horse Passenger Carriages" from eGRVTS1. :( What's happened?

Also, I think, Power and Max. Tractive Effort should depend of horses number (now it's the same for 1 and for 6 horses), but that's less important.
Attachments
Missing 1, 2, 4, 6 Horse Passenger Carriages.png
Missing 1, 2, 4, 6 Horse Passenger Carriages.png (36.34 KiB) Viewed 15450 times
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

I am playing a game that started in 1810. Seems the small passenger carriages are available from 1700, but the larger carriages are available around 1825-1830-ish. Makes sense, as carriage bodies, like automobiles, evolved too.

Having an American-style stagecoach would be great, as would horse drawn omnibuses. Perhaps in the future...
Without Trains America Stops

Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

It is intentional for the larger horse drawn carriages to only be available later. Imagine the big express mail carriages which were only available later on when roads had improved.

The power of the horse drawn vehicles is not realistic, otherwise they would be unusable. If anything the fewer horse vehicles would, ideally, be less powerful than they are now.
bjgttd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bjgttd »

Zephyris wrote:It is intentional for the larger horse drawn carriages to only be available later. Imagine the big express mail carriages which were only available later on when roads had improved.
This means (almost) no passenger service till 1830, because small carriages are too slow (so are trams) for the steep rate curve. Well, people didn't travel much those days.
Zephyris wrote:The power of the horse drawn vehicles is not realistic, otherwise they would be unusable. If anything the fewer horse vehicles would, ideally, be less powerful than they are now.
The problem is that 6 horse carriage (mail or passenger) never reaches it's 32 km/h maximum speed on a flat road (it cycles 30-31, which means not enough hp). For a sake of playability lets find a plausible excuse to increase the "power" parameter. Here is a quote from Wikipedia:
In 1993, R. D. Stevenson and R. J. Wassersug published an article calculating the upper limit to an animal's power output. The peak power over a few seconds has been measured to be as high as 14.9 hp. However, Stevenson and Wassersug observe that for sustained activity, a work rate of about 1 hp per horse is consistent with agricultural advice from both 19th and 20th century sources.
So 1 hp is a power of an average horse being used in agricultural sector (and eating accordingly). We can assume that good trained quality fed horse can do 2-3 hp, which means 12-18 hp for 6 horse carriage.
Kiffira
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kiffira »

It is a very good GRF i am thinking about adding it to me and my friends co-op lp that we are going to be doing i really like that u can now start in the 1700's it adds more length to the game which is really cool.
De Funes
Engineer
Engineer

Post by De Funes »

Can anyone tell me how and if this GRF solves crossing (overtaking) vehicles? So far I don't understand the rules, when a vehicle may overtake other (slower) vehicle on the road, as well as in case a stopped vehicle or a broken down vehicle.

I'm building a highway network in the belief greater throughput (two lanes) and after all I see that one broken down vehicle stops all vehicles behind it, as well as a slower vehicle brakes faster vehicle.

Why? What is wrong?
Thanks For answering.

De Funes.
Transport Tycoon player since 1997
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

Articulated vehicles are not able to overtake other vehicles. That's not a limitation of this NewGRF, it's part of OpenTTD.
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

I just noticed this minor bug in eGRVS 2.0

Seems the four horse armored carriage displays correctly in the purchase window, but on the road and in the vehicle info window, shows two horses, and two carriages.

Also carries two carriages worth of valuables, though the purchase window shows 24, and the vehicle itself says to carry 18.
Double carriage?
Double carriage?
egrvs armored carriage bus.png (87.13 KiB) Viewed 14293 times

sweoggy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sweoggy »

The download link for GRVTS 1 32bpp seems to be down
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Thanks for the heads up, you can download it here:

www.richardwheeler.net/commissions/grvts32.grf

Mods: I can't edit the post for the 32bpp grf set, why might this be?
LaDoncella
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by LaDoncella »

Railwaymodeler wrote:I just noticed this minor bug in eGRVS 2.0

Seems the four horse armored carriage displays correctly in the purchase window, but on the road and in the vehicle info window, shows two horses, and two carriages.

Also carries two carriages worth of valuables, though the purchase window shows 24, and the vehicle itself says to carry 18.
egrvs armored carriage bus.png
Is this with the version in bananas (r181)?
Last edited by LaDoncella on 13 Feb 2013 21:04, edited 1 time in total.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Zephyris wrote:Thanks for the heads up, you can download it here:

http://www.richardwheeler.net/commissions/grvts32.grf

Mods: I can't edit the post for the 32bpp grf set, why might this be?
New policy that has been in effect for a few months now. You can PM a moderator of your choice with your desired changes.
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

LaDoncella wrote:
Railwaymodeler wrote:I just noticed this minor bug in eGRVS 2.0

egrvs armored carriage bus.png
Is this with the version in bananas (r181)?

Apparently it is version r174.

I can try r181 later.

ACM
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ACM »

Something I've noticed about eGRVTS 2 is that all box trucks only carry half the amount of refitted cargos as they do goods. Which isn't the case for eGRVTS 1. Is this intentional?

By the way. Thanks for producing such a useful set.
LaDoncella
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by LaDoncella »

That is because of how those cargoes are defined. And it's the same with eGRVTS1.
ACM
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ACM »

Ack! My mistake. I checked eGRVTS 1 again and found it to be the case. I could've sworn it wasn't, earlier.
sonaar
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sonaar »

Request: could you please split it into two separate grfs: one for the trams only and other for the road vehicles? I would like to use trams version only.
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

Different request: Is there some combination of parameters (I haven't found one) that enables all freight road vehicles and the passenger horse-carriages, while disabling motor buses and trams?
If not, can I have one? :P
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
Kala852
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kala852 »

Hello,

Sorry if this has already been asked, but, I seem to be having an issue. When I try to upgrade to the Mettler Archer with Mail Trailer or the Edding Articulo with Mail Trailer, they won't go to truck stations.

Thanks for any help!

Edit:

Got it. Seems odd that they need to go to bus stations as opposed to going to truck stations.

Edit again:

When going to replace them, they still will not be replaced due to not being able to go to all stations.

Return to “Graphics Releases”