[OTTD] NML Category System (GRF List Organizer) NOW ON BANANAS!

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

[OTTD] NML Category System (GRF List Organizer) NOW ON BANANAS!

Post by NekoMaster »

*UPDATED WITH TAR FORMAT FOR EASY DOWNLOADING!*
(Download at the bottom of this first post)

NOW ON BANANAS FOR DOWNLOADING INGAME VIA THE CONTENT DOWNLOADER!
(AS OF APRIL, 21, 2020)

So I was looking around for a NewGRF Separator GRF so I can clean up and manage my loaded GRF list, but I couldn't find any that worked (one wouldn't show, while the other didn't have all the categories I wanted)

So I whipped up a quick GRF pack that contains simple NewGRF Separators, all coded from NML. I even colored the names of the GRF's green to make finding them easier among all that grey text.

Its a bit crude, and may have spelling mistakes in the descriptions, but for now the main part of NML-CS has been dealt with. If there are any problems, major and minor, you can report them in this thread or drop me a private message and I'll get back to you when I can.

[Installation]
1. Download to your computer and move the file to your newgrf\data folder, alternatively you can just download the TAR file to your newgrf\data folder directly.
For most users it will probably be in your user account folder (Eg. C:\Users\Neko\Documents\OpenTTD) or for linux users > (/home/Neko/.OpenTTD)
For other users it will probably be in your OpenTTD Install (Eg. C:\Program Files\OpenTTD)

*OpenTTD will load tars as of 0.6.3 (as far as I know), so extraction wont be necessary unless you need to do something special with the grfs!*

2. Use OpenTTD's ingame NewGRF Menu to load up the Category GRF's. Their names are colored green for quick access.

3. Enjoy a organized NewGRF List! Don't forget you can click and drag GRF's in modern OpenTTD builds (I think its been like this since the new NewGRF window)
Attachments
NML-CatSys-Screenshot.png
Version 1 Alpha (SCREENSHOT!)
(29.97 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
NML-CategorySystem-v1.1a.tar
Version 1.1 Alpha (TAR ARCHIVE!)
(46.5 KiB) Downloaded 1936 times
Last edited by NekoMaster on 21 Apr 2020 13:19, edited 5 times in total.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Kraks
Engineer
Engineer

Re: (OpenTTD) NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!)

Post by Kraks »

And what about GRF order? How will category system take into account that one GRF can influence other and in different situations need to be placed before or after specific GRF?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Suggestion: bundle this in .tar format instead of .zip so it can be dropped into your newgrf folder without having to unpack before using.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Kraks wrote:And what about GRF order? How will category system take into account that one GRF can influence other and in different situations need to be placed before or after specific GRF?
I find most GRF's behave properly even in the order I have in that screen shot, but players are free to use any order they feel like. Infact 2 GRF's I know of that will freak out if in the wrong order is NuTracks and DB Set XL (Nutracks must be loaded after DB Set XL)
kamnet wrote:Suggestion: bundle this in .tar format instead of .zip so it can be dropped into your newgrf folder without having to unpack before using.
Done :)
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
Nite Owl
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nite Owl »

Have a look at THIS. Perhaps a combination of the two would be best. Both Grfs contain categories that the other does not have. By combining them you would get the best of both in terms of categories. I do also like the fact that your Grf has the categories in another color. Nice work. Keep going.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet
------------------------------------------------------------
Brevity is the soul of wit and obscenity is its downfall
--------------------------------------------------------
Good Night And Good Luck - Read You Soon
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

I forgot about somethings, but I can add more separators.

So far I'm thinking of adding a category for New Objects, but if theres any others that I didn't see, let me know :p

EDIT : Updated with new category, and updated Readme, can't believe I forgot to update the install instructions for the tar download :\
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: (OpenTTD) NML Category System v1.1 (Organize your GRFS!)

Post by Supercheese »

Ooooh, you can use color codes in GRF titles? GRF authors should [ab]use that feature more. :twisted:
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Supercheese wrote:Ooooh, you can use color codes in GRF titles? GRF authors should [ab]use that feature more. :twisted:
Yup, in NML language files, for STR_GRF_NAME you can put a color code in the name like {GREEN}THIS_GRF_WILL_BE_GREEN

Perhaps it could be used as a way to organize new NML sets, having a color for each type like Stations, Trains, Road Vehicles, etc
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

In my experience, NewGRF's with names colored like that will always get sorted to the bottom of the NewGRF list since the game seems to factor in the color code brackets when arranging them alphabetically. So, something which one would expect to fall under the letter 'R' for example, instead gets sorted to the very bottom of the list because of the "{" at the beginning of the name in the language file, screwing up the natural sort order. It's not a huge deal, especially for a set like this, just something to be aware of.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Andrew350 wrote:In my experience, NewGRF's with names colored like that will always get sorted to the bottom of the NewGRF list since the game seems to factor in the color code brackets when arranging them alphabetically. So, something which one would expect to fall under the letter 'R' for example, instead gets sorted to the very bottom of the list because of the "{" at the beginning of the name in the language file, screwing up the natural sort order. It's not a huge deal, especially for a set like this, just something to be aware of.
Actually its kinda good that way so that all you have to do is go to the bottom of your Unloaded GRF's list and find the separators.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Yes, for this instance it is a good thing, but my point was that for regular NewGRFs this could be seen as a disadvantage. (I was replying to your idea of coloring other NewGRF names this way, sorry if I wasn't clear on that. :oops: )
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Andrew350 wrote:Yes, for this instance it is a good thing, but my point was that for regular NewGRFs this could be seen as a disadvantage. (I was replying to your idea of coloring other NewGRF names this way, sorry if I wasn't clear on that. :oops: )
Oh, ok then, though if that starts happening I'll make sure my grfs are easy to find (i'll find some other way to keep them together, in a bunch)
hanadi51
Engineer
Engineer

Post by hanadi51 »

Thanks for this one. This is very interesting and useful. I like it this way as adding colors make it more organize. Keep it up!
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

hanadi51 wrote:Thanks for this one. This is very interesting and useful. I like it this way as adding colors make it more organize. Keep it up!
Thanks, the NML for this was pretty easy so I was like "Meh, Ill give it a shot". now If i can learn to code train sets and stuff :p
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
Location: Catch the Fox if you can... Almost 20 years and counting!

Post by Digitalfox »

Hi NekoMaster :)

Would you mind posting and sharing the Source code?

Thank you.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Um, I actually lost the source code since I didnt think to back up my OpenTTD Projects last time I reformated my computer

What I did isn't very hard, I just coded each GRF's title and details/description to make them the NML categories. As for the green text, you can color text in GRF names and details by using tags like [GREEN] [RED] [BLUE] etc, I believe its limited to each company color.
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Digitalfox »

NekoMaster wrote:Um, I actually lost the source code since I didnt think to back up my OpenTTD Projects last time I reformated my computer

What I did isn't very hard, I just coded each GRF's title and details/description to make them the NML categories. As for the green text, you can color text in GRF names and details by using tags like [GREEN] [RED] [BLUE] etc, I believe its limited to each company color.
Thank you.

Would it be ok if created a NewGRF based on your idea and create a topic to share it with others, sharing the source code + instructions on how to compile and change to everyone taste? :D
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

I have very similar grfs with sources available: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 77#p972477

Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Digitalfox »

Supercheese wrote:I have very similar grfs with sources available: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 77#p972477
My idea is to explain step by step on how to compile the separator, so you're not limited by characters chosen or language, just compile at your own taste. Of course nothing breathtaking :)
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

Digitalfox wrote:My idea is to explain step by step on how to compile the separator, so you're not limited by characters chosen or language, just compile at your own taste. Of course nothing breathtaking :)
Sure, go for it. 8)

Return to “Graphics Releases”