Dutch Terraced Houses

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

YSH
Engineer
Engineer

Dutch Terraced Houses

Post by YSH »

I've created a small set with Dutch terraced houses, in which about 60% of the Dutch live. By having a number of different houses with the same dimensions, the idea is that they can link up, making a row. Currently there are only three different types the graphics of which still need a bit off work.
row.png
row.png (4.51 KiB) Viewed 15434 times
However, I already made a grf with these three houses in it.

--
Version 0.1α2: The floorplan is now shown in transparant mode.
Version 0.1α3: New but less graphics, always faces the road.
Version 0.1α4: Variations of the house and construction stages.
Version 0.1.01: First houses complete.
Last edited by YSH on 19 Aug 2013 16:06, edited 4 times in total.
rbos86
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: Dutch Terraced Houses

Post by rbos86 »

I'm a fan of such developments :!:

Although work is in progress this might actually turn out very nice!
rbos86' Screenshots thread is here
rbos86' Unrealistic Dutch games -thread, on the other hand,is this button
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

Good start!

It might be worth looking at the angle of the roof - something doesn't look right in there. Do you know about/are you using the TTD palette of colours?
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
YSH
Engineer
Engineer

Post by YSH »

The angle of the roof and the texture are the two main issues graphics-wise, the texture certainly might take some time to get right. In the meantime however, I've added the proper sprites for the transparant mode to the grf, showing the groundfloor of the house.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

The scale of these looks way off compared with other TT buildings.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

They could use a garden on both sides of the house, and some more details on the roof, like chimneys. Different colors too, not everyone paints his house in the same color :mrgreen:

Overall, good start though. Interesting to see how this develops :))
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
broodje
Director
Director

Post by broodje »

Ameecher wrote:The scale of these looks way off compared with other TT buildings.
Which scale? Compared to the scale of stations, industries, offices, churches, busses, trains or something else?
YSH
Engineer
Engineer

Post by YSH »

Ameecher wrote:The scale of these looks way off compared with other TT buildings.
Certainly when used with the default graphics, the difference is too large. However, in comparison with TTRS for example, the difference is smaller. Also, many recent station sets use buildings that are even larger in scale. So, while I will most likely be making them somewhat smaller, they will remain somewhat large compared to opengfx.

As for variation, I plan on a number of different eras, in which the buildings have the same dimensions and brick colour, other details such as colour of the doors, bays and dormers will differ. In that way, they can be linked up to make a row. The buildings will get a minimum life that is quite long, many decades, to ensure there will be greater historical variation in a town.(I always find it annoying to have a town build a skyscraper, only to have it demolished after a few years).
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

The best that can be done in the way of a unified scale is 2 pixels per meter horizontally and vertically and a little more than 1 pixel per meter diagonally. Compared to that, as well as to houses, road vehicles and trains at least - the things that matter - they're much too big.
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
YSH
Engineer
Engineer

Post by YSH »

After playing around a bit with the scale, I have reduced the height of buildings a bit and added an extra house.

Quick sketch of a smaller scale:
Attachments
Geen naam, 17 Feb 1945.png
Geen naam, 17 Feb 1945.png (202.37 KiB) Viewed 15131 times
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

I think the depth of the houses is a tad big. How about decreasing the depth which frees up space for a garden?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
V453000 :)
President
President

Post by V453000 :) »

I would also try to use a LOOOOT more colour shades
ImageImageImage
jor[D]1
Director
Director

Post by jor[D]1 »

Purno wrote:I think the depth of the houses is a tad big. How about decreasing the depth which frees up space for a garden?
They definitely need a garden at the back, it would make them a lot more dutch.
View my (train)pictures on Flickr
YSH
Engineer
Engineer

Post by YSH »

Indeed there must be:
Attachments
rij30.png
rij30.png (4.19 KiB) Viewed 14928 times
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

These are becoming very recognisable, almost like one I grew up in ;-)

The windows might be a bit too bright though for that view.

Keep up the great work! :bow:
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

Actually, these look quite good - although they do need a lot of texturing indeed. But it's very promising.

Another variation that might be interesting is the one they're now experimenting heavily with in my old and my parents' current hometown of Culemborg, where they decided to spice up the older "rijtjeshuizen" in different colours. The attached image is not the best example, as those are a few new houses in the "eco-wijk" on the border of the town, but imagine those colours applied to the ones you're drawing now. I'll look into a better photo next time I'm there.
Attachments
golfplaatje.jpg
golfplaatje.jpg (68.82 KiB) Viewed 14900 times
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
YSH
Engineer
Engineer

Post by YSH »

Those coloured houses might be an option for some modern houses, since most modern houses are still in the same style as old ones: brick with a pointed roof.

Which is a concern for later date, for now an update to version 0.1a3, which is a complete rewrite of the code into NML allowing more advanced stuff and a major update of the graphics. The houses are now only build facing the road, but in such a way that they don't suddenly shift orientation if the road is changed. (Unfortunately I'm having some issues with more than one house showing up in the game, so only one house is included.)
Only with a road facing the right way:
Only with a road facing the right way:
Eeroever Transport, 23 Nov 1945.png (151.5 KiB) Viewed 14806 times
The grf is to be found in the first post.
Dave

Post by Dave »

You know fair play to you for coming out and releasing something without demanding someone else do it.

I would, however, take on board opinions re: shading and mixing shades to increase realism, but I think you've got the general design down.

Well done.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

Dave W wrote:You know fair play to you for coming out and releasing something without demanding someone else do it.

I would, however, take on board opinions re: shading and mixing shades to increase realism, but I think you've got the general design down.

Well done.
This.

They look good but I think it's the colours that make them look almost too like a carton. Take a look at the other buildings in that screenshot you posted. Perhaps change the white and red colour for grey and dark red?
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects

Return to “Graphics Development”