American Road Replacement Set

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Nite Owl
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: American Road Replacement Set

Post by Nite Owl »

kamnet wrote: TBRS doesn't detect road sets, the set would have to be re-compiled with a specific road set's graphics drawn onto each bridge sprite.
I am aware of that. Which is why I used the phrase "working it into". Sorry if I was misunderstood.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet
------------------------------------------------------------
Brevity is the soul of wit and obscenity is its downfall
--------------------------------------------------------
Good Night And Good Luck - Read You Soon
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Nite Owl wrote:Any chance of working it into the Total Bridge Replacement Set?
I'm sure it's doable, since others have done it. I'd just have to look into getting the source stuff and figure out what it would take to get a new GRF made up.
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

Beautiful work. Wonderful set of roads :)) . Be sure to try it in one of the next games.
In addition to the enormity of the wishes, I would like to see another tunnel for these roads :) . For example, I like tunnels in TTRS and North American Road Set :D .
[OpenTTD] STD screenshots
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[OpenTTD] STD saved games - My finished scenarios and saves from the game
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Thank you :)

Different tunnel sprites are not out of the question, I mainly went with modifying the OpenGFX sprites because it was simpler than trying to design something from scratch. I tend to think of them as a placeholder until something more unique comes along, if/when I get around to it. :wink:
Metrication
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Metrication »

Could we get a Euro version of this? With the road markings as white instead of yellow.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Metrication wrote:Could we get a Euro version of this? With the road markings as white instead of yellow.
I am considering this to be honest but I only want to do it if it comes with decent bridgeset support. I really like the way the roads look.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Even if I make a TBRS version with these roads, a Euro version will still require a completely different bridge set grf, since TBRS doesn't support checking for different roadtypes. It wouldn't take a whole lot of work to make a new set (just copy and paste), but still, it's not automatic. ;)

That is, unless someone wanted to finally make TBRS aware of multiple roadtypes... :twisted:
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Andrew350 wrote:Even if I make a TBRS version with these roads, a Euro version will still require a completely different bridge set grf, since TBRS doesn't support checking for different roadtypes. It wouldn't take a whole lot of work to make a new set (just copy and paste), but still, it's not automatic. ;)

That is, unless someone wanted to finally make TBRS aware of multiple roadtypes... :twisted:
TBRS doesn't check for roadsets. But you could check for TBRS and supply the fitting sprites conditionally. So it's still all in your hands really :-)
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

You mean just including the TBRS road bridges within this GRF? What a brilliant idea. :)

Although wait, how would that work? A simple sprite replacement just gets overridden by TBRS, and NML can't do bridges yet. Is there a way to override specific sprites in another NewGRF so that this would work?

(Or did I misunderstand you?)
Ogre
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ogre »

While comparing this new nice looking set with the good old NARoadset, I feel a bit uncomfortable with the rather bright lines on the road surfaces. They look more like tram tracks in my eyes, than the signs of tires on the roads. This is very perceptible on crossroads. Maybe, you could make them a bit darker to fit the surrounding pixels.

Anyways, I appreciate your work. *thumbs up*
The pessimist sees the darkness in the tunnel.
The optimist sees the light at the end of the tunnel.
The realist sees the light coming closer...
The engineer sees three fools in front of his train on the track in the tunnel.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Unfortunately, the tire marks are only one shade lighter than the surrounding road as it is, so there's no easy way to darken them without removing them completely, which is something I don't want to do.

Once you actually build tram tracks over the roads and look at the difference, the effect might not seem as strong. Otherwise I'm afraid I don't have a solution for you. :)
Ogre
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ogre »

I made a quick recolored screenshot. While this is a simple replacement of pixels, it shows a darker road surface.
20130312_American_Road_Replacement_darker.png
20130312_American_Road_Replacement_darker.png (78.39 KiB) Viewed 790 times
What's your opinion?

EDIT: A scaled version to reflect its appearance ingame:
Attachments
20130312_American_Road_Replacement_darker_025.png
20130312_American_Road_Replacement_darker_025.png (90.12 KiB) Viewed 3595 times
The pessimist sees the darkness in the tunnel.
The optimist sees the light at the end of the tunnel.
The realist sees the light coming closer...
The engineer sees three fools in front of his train on the track in the tunnel.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

While it doesn't look bad per se, it's quite different from how I intended it to look. Drawing in that way looks more like freshly laid pavement, whereas I was going with more of a well-used look. I tried several variations of road surfaces when I first started out, some similar to yours, and out of compromise, this is the style I chose overall. I even contemplated a parameter setting to switch between "fresh" and "used" roads, but I decided that wouldn't really accomplish anything, not to mention the work it would take to re-texture ~500 sprites (It's a lot of copy & paste). :wink:

If we had roadtypes I would be more inclined to do different variations like this, and I do feel like there is a place for it. I think for now however, I'd prefer to keep them as is (or at least, only make minor changes).

You're of course also welcome to adjust the set yourself if you like, you seem to be quite capable of it, and perhaps others will also like those changes?
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

It's an improvement in my view.
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
Nite Owl
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nite Owl »

I agree. The version without the tire marks does look better. However, it is your NewGrf so do as you see fit. I will use it in either case.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet
------------------------------------------------------------
Brevity is the soul of wit and obscenity is its downfall
--------------------------------------------------------
Good Night And Good Luck - Read You Soon
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

It's also under a GPLv2 license, so if somebody wanted to release a version with their own altered graphics, they're more than free to do so.

The only thing that irks me about the graphics is that all the tire markings and wear are just too uniform. I know it can't be helped, but for me it's personally distracting. Not so distracting not to use it, though. ;)

It's quite a nice set. I may have to borrow the code for my own project :D
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Hmm, I see this must be a popular issue of annoyance. That's unfortunate.

On an unrelated note, I've updated the bridge and tunnel graphics to show a double yellow line instead of a single dashed line. The new version can be found in the first post or on the online content.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

If people are complaining about your artistic choices, then you're doing something right ;-) Seriously, it's clearly not stopping anybody from using it. I certainly appreciate having a fresh set of roads to look at in screenshots now.
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

I for one prefer the tire wear.

Return to “Graphics Releases”