Suggestions commonly asked for

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

kamnet

Re: Suggestions commonly asked for

Post by kamnet »

(In other words - anybody can edit the wiki. If you think this would be an improvement, feel free to add to it. You don't need permission, but a post someplace announcing your edits might be helpful also.)
OliTTD
Engineer
Engineer

Post by OliTTD »

For the servers list in multiplayer mode, to have the possibility to filter out the unnecessary servers by ticking a series of checkboxes:
[ ] locked/unlocked
[ ] green dots - [ ] orange dots - [ ] red dots
[ ] years in game [< = >] [value]
[ ] map size [< = >] [size]x[size]
[ ] language (flag) : [value]

In addition to that, or alternatively, the possibility to have a multilevel sort: first click on a column header to set the primary sort criteria, then shift-click on another column header to set secondary sort criteria, then shift-click again on a third column header to set tertiary sort criteria.

The whole idea is to make it easy to find a server suitable to your needs, according to the connection quality, game version, max map size your pc can handle etc.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

go ahead, it's a wiki ;)

just try to avoid sixty pages with six lines each. Then it's best to add the explanations to the current page. Overview at the top, all expanations below that.
yanno
Engineer
Engineer

Post by yanno »

the only thing than TTD don't have is Renting rail track to competitor
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

yanno wrote:the only thing than TTD don't have is Renting rail track to competitor
There's a patch for that: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 54#p771366
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
Dr1fty
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Dr1fty »

Maybe Game Mode types? Like:

City Builder Gamemode

Income Gamemode (How much cash can you earn in 5 ingame years)

Classic

All that I can think of.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Why not make a game script for that?
Tzoli
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tzoli »

Hello!

Is there a Topic Somewhere when can I ask/request Trains to be made for TTD?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Tzoli wrote:Hello!

Not exactly. You have looked at the graphics development (sub-)forum and through the zillions of existing train sets whether your idea maybe even exists already?
Tzoli
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tzoli »

planetmaker wrote:
Tzoli wrote:Hello!

Not exactly. You have looked at the graphics development (sub-)forum and through the zillions of existing train sets whether your idea maybe even exists already?
I doubt my idea exists because I think of a train set from a game from 1993 which is not well known:
Transarctica
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Tzoli wrote:Hello! Is there a Topic Somewhere when can I ask/request Trains to be made for TTD?
Well, you CAN technically ask... but there's almost no guarantee that any artist will draw it, or any coder will take those graphics and release a NewGRF. There are tons more requests for certain trains to be drawn than there are actual NewGRFs featuring trains. Most artists tend to focus on trains that actually exist and were commonly used, although we do have some fantasy train sets out there including the original & recently-released NUTS, as well as the Razor Train from Half-Life.

It's highly encouraged that if you wish to see it, that you participate in helping to make it happen, by either learning how to draw the sprites and seeking a coder to help finish it, or by learning how to code and encouraging others to contribute sprites. Simply making a post of "Can somebody please create the trains from Transarctica" will most likely get very few views, few responses and no action.
Illioplius
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Illioplius »

(I don't want to create new topic for this and I think this might be the right place, so...)
I'd like to see water tunnels (no, not underwater tunnels, but water tunnels – like water canal, but underground) and perhaps some bascule bridges, if this is possible. Water tunnels would be great to connect two lakes/seas if you have a mountain in the middle, for example. Bascule bridge, I imagine, could work like a level crossing, allowing cars to go through if no ship is coming, and stopping the cars otherwise. It is kind of annoying to "kill" three squares if you need to cross one thin canal – bascule bridge would simply go just at water surface level... However, this probably wouldn't work for trains (but maybe it could). And it would have fixed length (one to two squares, for example).
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Illioplius wrote:(I don't want to create new topic for this and I think this might be the right place, so...)
I'd like to see water tunnels (no, not underwater tunnels, but water tunnels – like water canal, but underground) and perhaps some bascule bridges, if this is possible. Water tunnels would be great to connect two lakes/seas if you have a mountain in the middle, for example.
You don't have to create a new topic, if you had scrolled down a dozen or so posts, you would have found the current discussion.
Last edited by kamnet on 16 Jan 2013 14:08, edited 1 time in total.
Illioplius
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Illioplius »

kamnet wrote:You don't have to create a new topic, if you had scrolled down a dozen or so posts, you would have found the current discussion.
Yes, I would. So please ignore the tunnel idea and just consider the bascule bridge.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Illioplius wrote:(I don't want to create new topic for this and I think this might be the right place, so...)
I'd like to see water tunnels (no, not underwater tunnels, but water tunnels – like water canal, but underground) and perhaps some bascule bridges, if this is possible. Water tunnels would be great to connect two lakes/seas if you have a mountain in the middle, for example. Bascule bridge, I imagine, could work like a level crossing, allowing cars to go through if no ship is coming, and stopping the cars otherwise. It is kind of annoying to "kill" three squares if you need to cross one thin canal – bascule bridge would simply go just at water surface level... However, this probably wouldn't work for trains (but maybe it could).
Railway swing bridges are quite common in America. I think this would be a great idea, also to prevent large ships from glitching under low bridges, especially the sailing boats.
Illioplius
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Illioplius »

Perhaps this is possible, but I just cannot find out how to do it: I'd like to rotate Helistation by 90°, but it'd be nice also in case of Small Airport, Commuter Airport and Intercontinental Airport — as they are not square-shaped — and in case of HQ as well, although it is square-shaped.
If this is not possible in current version and is not hard to code, I suggest to add it to the next version of the game.
Katve
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Katve »

OpenGFX+ Airports include rotated airports. You can found it from the ingame content downloader.
Illioplius
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Illioplius »

Katve wrote:OpenGFX+ Airports include rotated airports. You can found it from the ingame content downloader.
Thank you. However, it'd be useful as a default feature. Also the HQ rotation (by 90° clockwise)...
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

it cannot be a default feature, because the original graphics set does not contain the necessary sprites, and OpenTTD cannot include modified original graphics.

same reason why rotating the whole map is not possible
Illioplius
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Illioplius »

Eddi wrote:it cannot be a default feature, because the original graphics set does not contain the necessary sprites, and OpenTTD cannot include modified original graphics.

same reason why rotating the whole map is not possible
I understand about HQ and Small Airport, but neither Commuter Airport, nor Interncontinental Airport, nor Helistation are present in the original game, so it wouldn't be modified original graphics, would it?

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”