Aviators Aircraft Set (av8) v2.2 25/02/2013

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Swoop
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Aviators Aircraft Set (av8) v2.2 25/02/2013

Post by Swoop »

Same question then; how do I get and use an older version?

edit: Apparently I've got both v2.2 and v1.81....but can only select v2.2 in GRF settings......
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

Either locate the version 2.2 on your hard drive and remove it, or follow the instructions to show old versions of grfs.
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Look in your openttd.cfg in your "My Documents" or your installation folder and look for a line in the config file

newgrf_show_old_versions = XX

XX is either true or false, it will most likely be false if you can't see all the old versions. set it to true to enable the old newgrfs
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Le_Cram
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Le_Cram »

Hi all,
at first thank you for great job with this set!! :bow:

But I have similar idea as Swoop - Czech republic small country and one Boeing can't fly across max 700km distance? :lol:

Then I (forgive me PikkaBird) try to change all range to double (only for me, I respect your work on it!), not problem for my and my basic skill with editing newGRF files, but:

How can I change range for aircraft that have update in time?? :?: (DC3, 737 and 747 etc.) I delete last rows with range setting and this aircraft still untouched and have range limit, but rest of plane is unlimited...

Thank you :wink:

PS: Sorry for my English
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Read my post at the end of the last page very carefully. :)
Le_Cram
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Le_Cram »

PikkaBird wrote:Read my post at the end of the last page very carefully. :)
You thing
PikkaBird wrote: or modify the grf for your own use.
I would like to modify, but I can understand only basic construction in GRF... :(
Now it is secret for me, construction which change parameters in time for planes :)

And I would like to keep range limit- small, medium planes, helicopter etc.
Is It possible to reveal example which row in NFO file set range parameters for planes which I mention? Then I will use dokumentation from wiki pages and try to change it myself.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Hmm... since the Boeing 787 "dream liner" has been screwing up in real life, will it ever make it into the set now? XP
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Le_Cram wrote:Is It possible to reveal example which row in NFO file set range parameters for planes which I mention? Then I will use dokumentation from wiki pages and try to change it myself.
You could search out the action 4s ("04 03 7F 01") to get the vehicle IDs, I suppose...
NekoMaster wrote:Hmm... since the Boeing 787 "dream liner" has been screwing up in real life, will it ever make it into the set now? XP
Someone didn't get the memo. ;)
Ailure
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Ailure »

Regarding the aircraft ranges, the only aircraft that felt too "short" rangewise was the helicopters, which I feel would be more interesting to use if their range was doubled. But admittedly, I am playing on a huge 1024x2048 map. :P

The range does help to minimize aircraft gameplay consisting out of connecting one corner of the map to another. ;)
whitejosh200
Engineer
Engineer

Post by whitejosh200 »

First off I would like to thank you so very much for this amazing NewGRF. :bow:
I agree with you and various others on the forum that the range adds a very interesting feature. :)
But I have one minor complaint. I would like to be able to have the range of the Boeing 377 to be at least the same range as the Airship, more would be nice. Could you provide a link to a tutorial or some way I can change this in the NewGRF settings?
SquireJames
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SquireJames »

Why would a B737 need the same range as an Airship? Airships have virtually unlimited range, and regularly crossed the Atlantic. Boeing 737s well, don't.
whitejosh200
Engineer
Engineer

Post by whitejosh200 »

I was not talking about a jet for a little Boeing 737, but the 377 Stratocruiser. Furthermore, I was not talking to you anyway, but to the creator of this NewGRF. Anyway if I wanted one airplane's range extended (or shortened for that matter) I should be able to customize the setting for my own personal usage. I promise not to use it for anything else than my own personal entertainment anyways. Flights were made with the 377 to Hawaii so the Atlantic is not out of the question. Read before you write.
SquireJames
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SquireJames »

whitejosh200 wrote:I was not talking about a jet for a little Boeing 737, but the 377 Stratocruiser. Furthermore, I was not talking to you anyway, but to the creator of this NewGRF. Anyway if I wanted one airplane's range extended (or shortened for that matter) I should be able to customize the setting for my own personal usage. I promise not to use it for anything else than my own personal entertainment anyways. Flights were made with the 377 to Hawaii so the Atlantic is not out of the question. Read before you write.
Firstly, apologies for misreading 377 and 737. Was tired.

Secondly, stop being such a jumped up little s*** when all I did was inquire why you wanted those changes. Honey catches far more flies than vinegar.
whitejosh200
Engineer
Engineer

Post by whitejosh200 »

SquireJames wrote:
whitejosh200 wrote:I was not talking about a jet for a little Boeing 737, but the 377 Stratocruiser. Furthermore, I was not talking to you anyway, but to the creator of this NewGRF. Anyway if I wanted one airplane's range extended (or shortened for that matter) I should be able to customize the setting for my own personal usage. I promise not to use it for anything else than my own personal entertainment anyways. Flights were made with the 377 to Hawaii so the Atlantic is not out of the question. Read before you write.
Firstly, apologies for misreading 377 and 737. Was tired.

Secondly, stop being such a jumped up little s*** when all I did was inquire why you wanted those changes. Honey catches far more flies than vinegar.
SquireJames, I would like to apologize for sounding like an insensitive wart in my last post. I suppose the Daylight Saving Time starting (I have to get up early for Sunday Service) made me tired and cranky.

Anyway, now that we have this cleared up, I would like to be able to have the airplane in question be able to traverse the distance of an entire 512x512 map. Also as it is the only real profitable airplane to be able to have all cargo in the early stages of the game, more flight range would be nice.
Swoop
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Swoop »

Gentlemen, there is one very good reason for allowing the range property to be optional.....and one that I hope may sway the opinion of the creator of this excellent mod: The AI doesn't understand ranges. If you allow AI companies to operate aircraft you'll find they mostly go bankrupt due to their aircraft sitting in the hanger with the error "Unable to reach next destination"....or whatever the error is.
TehPlaneFreak
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TehPlaneFreak »

+1 bravo
TehPlaneFreak!
aantono
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aantono »

Is there a way to find information about loading speeds and cargo decay for the aircrafts in this set?
Might be a good enhancement to include this information into the Plane Info details screen when buying from the Hangar.

Thanks!
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

One thing I don't like about the ranges is I find them too short for my game play. Sometimes when I just want to cross a short distance (like say a coastal island or crossing a great lake sized lake or ocean) I find that even mid-range planes can't fly that far, which makes servicing islands and places across lakes nearly impossible.

If anything, it might be nice if, since the ranges are here to stay, if a parameter or something could be done to allow double the range or having planes cost more to fly longer ranges (more fuel and wear). Hell, when I went down to Florida for Disney land, me, my sister and a friend of mine flew strait from Pearson Intl. in Toronto Ontario all the way down to Orlando, with out any stops. A Boeing 737 in this set won't even let me fly that kind of distance because of the ranges.
Ogre
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ogre »

Maybe the range could be modified by the size of the map it is used on? While the current ranges might be useful on smaller maps, they are more than restricting on 2kx2k maps. The modification itselfs might be controlled by a parameter.
The pessimist sees the darkness in the tunnel.
The optimist sees the light at the end of the tunnel.
The realist sees the light coming closer...
The engineer sees three fools in front of his train on the track in the tunnel.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

I usually play on 512x512 and 1024x1024 maps because anything bigger is usually too big for me on vanilla OpenTTD unless I have a daylength patch (and I've yet to see a modpack thats up to date with a daylength patch)

I was also thinking, there could be a Service range and a Max Range which the plane would run out of fuel at that point, where the service range is what the aircraft was designed to fly. Anything further then the service range means burning more fuel and putting more wear on the plane.

Perhaps though Larger Jets should be penalized for short trips by making them more expensive and cause more wear and tear? Some companies use things like 747's and Airbus A380's for short hauls frequently, as regional liners, so those constant short trips put stress on the plane that can break them faster then if they flew for long range missions like they were designed for

Return to “Graphics Development”