Zimmlocks creations develoment thread

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

keoz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Zimmlocks latest creation

Post by keoz »

FooBar wrote:Ideally this grf should get a complete recode to support TTRS houses in OpenTTD before 1930, but that's an awful lot of work that I don't particularly fancy.
Would that be a such great amount of work ? (In case it isn't, I could/would myself try to do the job, but I can't figure out what it represents now).

Now, I'm nearly perfectly sure that I used to play with TTRS (version 3.02) in OTTD (version 1.0.3, and there around) and that I actually could play before 1930. What am I missing ?
Patch - Let's timetable depot waiting time with the Wait in depot patch.
GameScript - Searching a new way to make your cities growing ? Try the Renewed City Growth GameScript.
My screenshots thread.
keoz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Zimmlocks creations develoment thread

Post by keoz »

For people interested in using TTRS before 1930

Well. I finally decided to try to solve that issue. I changed the intro dates of the earliest houses in the set, all those one which had 1930 as starting date. So, The major part of the buildings starts now in 1800, while only some (skycrapers, firehouses with cars, cinema ...) start later, to let it realistic (the Lenin statue only starts in 1921 :D ). Their ending availibility is kept unchanged (mostly 1950 or 1980, depending of the buildings). At a first sight, it seems to work fine, but I still didn't tested it on a long play.

I don't know if I can post here the modified final GRF, so I just give here a link to the patches that you can apply to the source files (the modified files are ttrs/sprites/nfo/ttrs3w.pnfo and ttrs/sprites/nfo/banks.pnfo). You can find the patches as attachments on http://dev.openttdcoop.org/issues/4507.

If you eventually find any issue with the modifications, just let me know and I'll try to solve it :P

Have a good game !
GameScript - Searching a new way to make your cities growing ? Try the Renewed City Growth GameScript.
My screenshots thread.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

For all I know, TTRS has four or five distinct eras. Did you also change the introduction date for the houses which are supposed to be part of the later eras?

Or is it solved in TTRS such that the house IDs are re-used and only different graphics are displayed, depending on the construction date?
keoz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by keoz »

planetmaker wrote:For all I know, TTRS has four or five distinct eras.
Yes, there are different eras: theorically 1920-1950 (actually 1930-1950 in the code), 1950-1980, 1980-2010, 2010-ever. But it is still a little bit more complicated. In the original version, some houses are available to build in the time period 1920-1980, other only until 1990 (the hospital), etc.
planetmaker wrote:Or is it solved in TTRS such that the house IDs are re-used and only different graphics are displayed, depending on the construction date?
No: each house has its own ID. So, you have differents ID's for houses in the different eras.
planetmaker wrote:Did you also change the introduction date for the houses which are supposed to be part of the later eras?
No. Here is what I *exactly* did:
- I firstly selected all the houses that had as starting date 1930 (low byte 0A in the property 0A of action 0). So, only the houses which started in 1930 are affected by my changes.
- For each of them, I changed the introduction date (using long format dates: feature 21), giving for most of them 1800 as starting date. For the ending date I followed the original date. For example, a house which had as starting date 1930 and ending 1950 (0A 0A 1E in action 0), it becames "21 \w1800 22 \w1950". For a house that had as dates 1930-1980 in the original (0A 0A 3C in action 0), I changed it in "21 \w1800 22 \w1980". Obviously, I also had to change the field 3 of all the affected actions 0, since they define the number of feature, and the change implies adding one feature (the long system date needs two feature, while the old system needs only one).
- For some of those one, I decided arbitrarily to give a different starting date as 1800, to ensure some historical coherence. The Lenin statue, for instance, had (originally) as starting-ending date: 1930-ever (0A 0A FF). I changed it to 1921-ever ("21 \w1921 22 \w9999"). Same thing for Firehouse (there are trucks in the picture ...), for some high building, for the kino.

In the results, there are far enough houses (including hotels, libraries, hospital etc) starting in 1800 to have a coherent (and pretty) game, even when playing only with TTRS houses. Progressively new houses become available in the XIX century (the Stock Exchange around in 1850, modern buildings, firestation, cinema around 1900, etc). For the time after 1930, everything is just exactly as it was in the original.
My screenshots thread.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

keoz wrote:For people interested in using TTRS before 1930

Well. I finally decided to try to solve that issue.
I am very interested in pre-1930 TTRS, and I thank you for your effort! :)
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

keoz wrote:I don't know if I can post here the modified final GRF
TTRS is licensed under a Creative Commons license that allows for adaptations so you should be able to release the GRF. planetmaker and/or FooBar should be able to help you with the process as they both contributed updates to TTRS.
De Funes
Engineer
Engineer

Post by De Funes »

Well. I finally decided to try to solve that issue...
This is excellent news. My games begin in the twenties of the nineteenth century, and if your treatment will really work the way you write about it, it's literally fulfilled wishes :)

What about compiling to GRF package? Although I watched the forum if I could make it myself, with my experience (or inexperience) and time possibilities certainly not reach goal (GRF package).

btw: TTRS3 bugs report here?
Tubular Steel (515km/h) and Tubular Silicon road bridges using road surface (graphics) from OpenGFX base graphics set.

De Funes
Attachments
Sedlec Transport, 2nd Mar 2164.png
Sedlec Transport, 2nd Mar 2164.png (106.42 KiB) Viewed 1479 times
Transport Tycoon player since 1997
keoz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by keoz »

De Funes wrote:

Well. I finally decided to try to solve that issue...
This is excellent news. My games begin in the twenties of the nineteenth century, and if your treatment will really work the way you write about it, it's literally fulfilled wishes :)

What about compiling to GRF package? Although I watched the forum if I could make it myself, with my experience (or inexperience) and time possibilities certainly not reach goal (GRF package).
I'm glad you appreciate :P

I packaged the compiled GRF, see the attachment.

If you find any bugs, just report it. I had not so many time to try it out, so I hope everything works fine.
Attachments
ttrs3w-pre1930patch.zip
(1.67 MiB) Downloaded 1001 times
My screenshots thread.
De Funes
Engineer
Engineer

Post by De Funes »

keoz wrote:If you find any bugs, just report it. I had not so many time to try it out, so I hope everything works fine.
Thank you very much. Finally, the nineteenth century, as it should be :)
I have only one comment to it, look at the attached picture.

Compare the form of cities in the pictures 1, 2 and 3 (nicely fit into his time) and on the opposite side pictures 4 to 6. Building in Land area information tool named simply "Flats" - my opinion is, that these buildings into the nineteenth century is not well suited. Architecture of the building, where they are used glass panels from floor to floor ceiling is not a typical characteristic that would belong to the nineteenth century. What do you think?

Whether you agree or disagree wit me, once again many thanks for your work and attached GRF package.
Equally big thanks to Zimmlock and team of people around him.

De Funes
Attachments
1820 screens3.png
(1.33 MiB) Downloaded 10 times
Transport Tycoon player since 1997
keoz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by keoz »

De Funes wrote:Compare the form of cities in the pictures 1, 2 and 3 (nicely fit into his time) and on the opposite side pictures 4 to 6. Building in Land area information tool named simply "Flats" - my opinion is, that these buildings into the nineteenth century is not well suited. Architecture of the building, where they are used glass panels from floor to floor ceiling is not a typical characteristic that would belong to the nineteenth century. What do you think?

Whether you agree or disagree wit me
Thank you for your suggestion.

Well I do agree, this building is probably to modern for the early 19. century. But when setting dates, there is another aspect to consider: each building can be used only in some city zones (there are five zones). When setting new dates, we need to be sure that each city zone can be filled with different buildings in each era. So, we need a compromise between historical accuracy (on one side) and the amount of buildings pro zone and pro era (on the other side).

Now, I'm maybee wrong about what I say about city zones. I just have read something really fast about that (in the GRFspecs wiki), and I need to look better at that problem. I also need to check which buildings are available in which city zone. Anyway, I promise to have a look at this particular building when I have time to watch/change again the code.
My screenshots thread.
Matvey
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Matvey »

Hi there to all!

this is my first post since I regestered long time ago.

I just wondering is it possible to remove buildings from this GRF? especially I would like to remove V-tiped skyscraper because of its flickering. Do I have to decompile GRF? or is it enought to edit this file?

Please help me with that.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Hiya,
I think this is the right thread for TTRS, so I'll post this here:
I have made some modifications for a drive through cargostop based on the non-drive through stops. Hope you like it and feel free to include it in the set.
Drivethroughcargostops.png
Drivethroughcargostops.png (3.87 KiB) Viewed 10795 times
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
blitzkrieg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by blitzkrieg »

Nice graphic!! :] Would be useful for loading/unloading near industries!! :D
Twyster
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Twyster »

Hey, I've got a question; How exactly would one go about changing buildings to not be demolished by anything except players? The reason I ask is because skyscrapers, prisons, schools, gas stations and fire halls all get demolished as a city expands.

Some of them are a good place to make a station next to it, give it a name and then transport passengers (like schools, prisons and hospitals, the latter of which seems to stick around fortunately). And the gas stations have those fake roads that you can "connect" to the normal street, but then they disappear and I have to remove the connections again. So can anyone point me in the right direction?
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Twyster wrote:Hey, I've got a question; How exactly would one go about changing buildings to not be demolished by anything except players? The reason I ask is because skyscrapers, prisons, schools, gas stations and fire halls all get demolished as a city expands.

Some of them are a good place to make a station next to it, give it a name and then transport passengers (like schools, prisons and hospitals, the latter of which seems to stick around fortunately). And the gas stations have those fake roads that you can "connect" to the normal street, but then they disappear and I have to remove the connections again. So can anyone point me in the right direction?
Isn't 1 topic for your question enough?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Well, I did suggest he bring the discussion here, since he had questions specific to TTRS.
Chris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Chris »

Yes, I think you'll find that the discussion is much more relevant in this thread, as the problem is most easily solved through altering the TTRS code.
Screenshots

Formerly Class 165
Twyster
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Twyster »

kamnet wrote:Well, I did suggest he bring the discussion here, since he had questions specific to TTRS.
Class 165 wrote:Yes, I think you'll find that the discussion is much more relevant in this thread, as the problem is most easily solved through altering the TTRS code.
That pretty much sums it up. I know better than to start multiple topics for the same problem.

Come to think of it, I should probably ask for that other topic to be locked...
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Twyster wrote:
kamnet wrote:Well, I did suggest he bring the discussion here, since he had questions specific to TTRS.
Class 165 wrote:Yes, I think you'll find that the discussion is much more relevant in this thread, as the problem is most easily solved through altering the TTRS code.
That pretty much sums it up. I know better than to start multiple topics for the same problem.

Come to think of it, I should probably ask for that other topic to be locked...
I can merge that topic with this one if you like.
Octopuss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Octopuss »

Could you update the first post please? I haven't played OpenTTD for a few years, and can't remember what was this thread about apart from the impression it was something really cool I liked then.

Return to “Graphics Development”