Dutch stations set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

shampie
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Dutch stations set

Post by shampie »

You're assumption is correct.
My apologies, I should not have posted that screenshot in this topic.
Got side-tracked (no phun intended).

The stations look excellent;
Would it be possible to make an 'underground' style station? (so you can either build on it or make it look that there's buildings on top?)
It'd be cool for subway style.
I've seen stations in the past that sort of have the 'buildings on top' but not the option to actually build on top.
To express moral judgments about good and evil, you must posit that good and evil exist
If good and evil exist, you must posit a moral law by which we can distinguish between good and evil
If a moral law exists, a moral law giver must exist.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Sadly you can't build anything over stationtiles.
There are some underground/subway station tiles in the Dutch Station Addition Set though, with entrances and flowerbed/tree graphics.
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Quast65 wrote:I dont really like pylons on stationtiles.
But it's the most realistic thing to do. Real life platforms are full of catenary pylons as well.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

shampie wrote: Would it be possible to make an 'underground' style station? (so you can either build on it or make it look that there's buildings on top?)
It'd be cool for subway style.
I've seen stations in the past that sort of have the 'buildings on top' but not the option to actually build on top.
Well, theres an underground - alike tracks in the Metro Track Set already, and I have tried to make some underground enterance stations here...

Maybe if Quast want to take over... (I did plan to draw 4 types) EDIT : and add it to his addition set...
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

But it's the most realistic thing to do. Real life platforms are full of catenary pylons as well.
I'll see how the addition set will look with pylons on. Is there absolutely no way that there could be different catenary graphics for non-pyloned stationtiles?
Maybe if Quast want to take over... (I did plan to draw 4 types) EDIT : and add it to his addition set...
I like what you are working on, however for the Addition set I'm looking for more recognisable Dutch entrances. Like these:
MetroWaterlooPlein.png
(2.4 MiB) Downloaded 5 times
MetroWeesperPlein.png
(2.08 MiB) Downloaded 5 times
MetroLeuvehavenRdam.png
(1.48 MiB) Downloaded 5 times
Leuvehaven is very close to what you are working on by the way...

All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Quast65 wrote:
I like what you are working on, however for the Addition set I'm looking for more recognisable Dutch entrances. Like these:

Leuvehaven is very close to what you are working on by the way...
Well, those are clearly some more unique enterance... the last is quite near, I'm not drawing that station.
Maybe I'll try in the coming months... or I'll send you the main graphics.
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Quast65 wrote:Sadly you can't build anything over stationtiles.
You mean to say, you can't build anything over station tiles YET... :mrgreen:
Quast65 wrote:There are some underground/subway station tiles in the Dutch Station Addition Set though, with entrances and flowerbed/tree graphics.
There is also FreakNL's abandoned Subway Stations Disguised As Parks, which I suspect Quast65 can easily improve upon. :D
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

kamnet wrote:
Quast65 wrote:Sadly you can't build anything over stationtiles.
You mean to say, you can't build anything over station tiles YET... :mrgreen:
I thought its already possible for a long time, but the devs haven't finished all problems...
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Purno wrote:
Quast65 wrote:I dont really like pylons on stationtiles.
It looks better than I thought :D
DSAset66.png
DSAset66.png (40.99 KiB) Viewed 5135 times
Pylons will be on in the next version of the Addition Set.
Maybe one of the developers of the original Dutch Station Set can give turning them on a try too.
There is also FreakNL's abandoned Subway Stations Disguised As Parks, which I suspect Quast65 can easily improve upon.
That set was actually one of the inspirations for me to experiment with overlapping tiles for the ISR/DWE-style objects GRF ;-)
But I was not really charmed by the way the overlapping looked/worked for hiding tunnel entrances. Especially the need of an overlapping tile on the non-stationside of a tunnel entrance. That is why I recommend using a GRF that provides a full tile tunnel entrance.
You mean to say, you can't build anything over station tiles YET...
May still take some time, but would be very welcome!

kingrein
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kingrein »

I know it may sound weird, but could you try to make the old station building of the town Hattem, nearby zwolle. The building was demolished around 1960. So there aren't pictures of it in colour. Maybe some paintings. I thought my parents said the colour was red.
Maybe you should try something else, or at least, think in a different way. like someone with autism, it could be usefull.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

kingrein wrote:I know it may sound weird, but could you try to make the old station building of the town Hattem, nearby zwolle. The building was demolished around 1960. So there aren't pictures of it in colour. Maybe some paintings. I thought my parents said the colour was red.
According to this website, http://www.stationsweb.nl/station.asp?station=hattem , the old station was a KNLS-1. That type is in the Dutch Station Addition set ;-)
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 0#p1065406

kingrein
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kingrein »

all right, thanks.
Maybe you should try something else, or at least, think in a different way. like someone with autism, it could be usefull.
suburbansky
Engineer
Engineer

Post by suburbansky »

Hello everybody

I use the Dutch Station and Additions Set very often - really one of the best! :bow:

There is one thing, however, I don't seem to understand: If I would like to build a station with platforms on a lower level, is there any way to connect the footbridge directly to this "upper" level, e.g. to a station square or a station building (see image 1). The only start and end pieces available are stairs going down to a platform. The only way around this seems to be the one pictured in image 2, but I don't find this very satisfying.

Am I overlooking something?

Oh, and another question/suggestion: You can either have roofs or platform "furniture" such as CTA, benches etc. - wouldn't it be nice to have roofs including these things, i.e. benches and CTAs and ticket vending machines under the roof? (see image 2)
dutchstation1.jpg
dutchstation1.jpg (156.7 KiB) Viewed 550 times
dutchstation2.jpg
dutchstation2.jpg (175.61 KiB) Viewed 550 times
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

suburbansky wrote:Hello everybody

I use the Dutch Station and Additions Set very often - really one of the best! :bow:

There is one thing, however, I don't seem to understand: If I would like to build a station with platforms on a lower level, is there any way to connect the footbridge directly to this "upper" level, e.g. to a station square or a station building (see image 1). The only start and end pieces available are stairs going down to a platform. The only way around this seems to be the one pictured in image 2, but I don't find this very satisfying.
Am I overlooking something?
That is one of the tiles I'm also missing, there are only stairs to footbridges on tracktiles, while there might be instances where I want it to be on a non-tracktile.
Oh, and another question/suggestion: You can either have roofs or platform "furniture" such as CTA, benches etc. - wouldn't it be nice to have roofs including these things, i.e. benches and CTAs and ticket vending machines under the roof? (see image 2)
Problem with that is that NewGRFs only can introduce a limited number of tiles, maybe with some really hack-ish stuff it might be possible, but even then you get too many combinations to keep stuff workable.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Transportman wrote:
Problem with that is that NewGRFs only can introduce a limited number of tiles, maybe with some really hack-ish stuff it might be possible, but even then you get too many combinations to keep stuff workable.
It may be too much of a hassle for somebody to code, but it is possible to have certain sprites pseudo-randomly display different types of graphics, and you can just continually overbuild on that tile to cycle through the graphics.
rbos86
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by rbos86 »

kamnet wrote:Antwerp's Arnherm Station. Just thought I'd share.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_eye/2015 ... _that.html
I visit that station nearly everyday. Amazing how big it became compared to what it was. Although Central Station Arnhem took nearly 20 years to rebuild, with all the passengers suffering a terrible condition meanwhile, it became one of the Netherlands finest, designed for the future.

Bright, wide, and very quick terminal (quick to travel by foot through) it doesn't create any 'unsafe feeling'. Which is good, or even better.
rbos86' Screenshots thread is here
rbos86' Unrealistic Dutch games -thread, on the other hand,is this button
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

kamnet wrote:Antwerp's Arnherm Station. Just thought I'd share.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_eye/2015 ... _that.html
Its just Arnhem station, Antwerp is a city in Belgium ;-)
Arnhem is on the east side of The Netherlands, maybe better known for the "A bridge too far"-fiasco of Operation Market Garden in World War 2.

Lovely station indeed!

EDIT: To make it even more interesting, the wires you can see in front of the main entrance are for the trolleybus system that Arnhem has.
The only trolleybus system in the Benelux-area (BElgium_NEtherlands_LUXembourgh) and one of the largest in Western Europe.

Strawbs89
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Strawbs89 »

in what directory do i put the dutchstatw.grf
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by piratescooby »

Strawbs89 wrote:in what directory do i put the dutchstatw.grf
https://wiki.openttd.org/NewGRF , should have all the answers for you .

Return to “Graphics Development”