[OTTD] OpenGFX+ Airports

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] OpenGFX+ Airports

Post by Emperor Jake »

Awesome! Finally my regional jets and turboprops won't have to use the dirt runway! :D
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

http://dev.openttdcoop.org/issues/3853

If my code passes review, this will make my "No Airport Restrictions" mini-grf obsolete -- freeing up a precious GRF slot can only be a good thing :).
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

PaulC wrote:
small_modern_rotations.png
A full set of sprites is now on DevZone. 8)
I think that the only "weird" thing here is the movement....

Also, how about if we instead not using the bars before landing ? (or just make a small one)
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
LSky
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by LSky »

I've noticed that these airports respond differently than default airports to maintenance costs changes (using basecosts newgrf for example). Is this intended?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

LSky wrote:I've noticed that these airports respond differently than default airports to maintenance costs changes (using basecosts newgrf for example). Is this intended?
Please elaborate: In what way exactly do they behave different?
LSky
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by LSky »

planetmaker wrote:
LSky wrote:I've noticed that these airports respond differently than default airports to maintenance costs changes (using basecosts newgrf for example). Is this intended?
Please elaborate: In what way exactly do they behave different?
I adjusted the maintenance costs using the basecosts newgrf, but now the rotatable airports are 8x more expensive to maintain, while the normal airports still have the normal maintenance costs.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

With "normal" airports you mean the airport in the "normal" way and you pay 8x the cost when you built it 90° or 180° rotated? That is not intended.

Which basecost NewGRF (version thereof?) do you use?
LSky
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by LSky »

planetmaker wrote:With "normal" airports you mean the airport in the "normal" way and you pay 8x the cost when you built it 90° or 180° rotated? That is not intended.

When I play OpenTTD with the OpenGFX+Airports newgrf, I receive additional airport types that I can choose from. They appear exactly like the default airports, except that they're rotatable. So the 'small airports' option gives me the default small airport, the default commuter airport, the rotatable small airport and the rotatable commuter airport. When I build the 'normal' default airport, the maintenance costs are different from rotatable airport maintenance costs, assuming I change the airport maintenance costs in BaseCosts Mod 5.0 to begin with. For my server, I changed the airport maintenance costs to 8x default. The airport costs for the rotatable airports are 8x the normal costs, but the default airport maintenance costs remain the same.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

LSky wrote:
planetmaker wrote:With "normal" airports you mean the airport in the "normal" way and you pay 8x the cost when you built it 90° or 180° rotated? That is not intended.

When I play OpenTTD with the OpenGFX+Airports newgrf, I receive additional airport types that I can choose from. They appear exactly like the default airports, except that they're rotatable. So the 'small airports' option gives me the default small airport, the default commuter airport, the rotatable small airport and the rotatable commuter airport. When I build the 'normal' default airport, the maintenance costs are different from rotatable airport maintenance costs, assuming I change the airport maintenance costs in BaseCosts Mod 5.0 to begin with. For my server, I changed the airport maintenance costs to 8x default. The airport costs for the rotatable airports are 8x the normal costs, but the default airport maintenance costs remain the same.
Hm... *additionally* to the default airports? That should by default not be the case IMHO (as they're functionally equivalent) and only add rotation. However the base set costs should influence both the same way, too. Thanks for bringing it up and explaining in such nice detail; it will help much to figure out what's going wrong and eventually fix it.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

planetmaker wrote:Hm... *additionally* to the default airports? That should by default not be the case IMHO (as they're functionally equivalent) and only add rotation.
He's possibly using Av8, which (optionally) modify the base airports by reducing their maintenance costs.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

PikkaBird wrote:
planetmaker wrote:Hm... *additionally* to the default airports? That should by default not be the case IMHO (as they're functionally equivalent) and only add rotation.
He's possibly using Av8, which (optionally) modify the base airports by reducing their maintenance costs.
Thanks for that hint. I wasn't yet aware of that. That surely would explain a lot.

Why don't you modify airport base costs instead (0x46) and leave airports themselves untouched? Alternatively I have a feature request: try to detect this grf :D

Which physical parameter (0-based counting) in av8 controls this? And from which av8 version (action14 entry) onward?
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

planetmaker wrote:Why don't you modify airport base costs instead (0x46) and leave airports themselves untouched? Alternatively I have a feature request: try to detect this grf :D
Because I am modifying maintenance costs, not construction costs (and modifying maintenance costs non-uniformally). Future versions of the grf will also modify introduction dates. Eventually, if/when newgrf airport state machines are implemented, I will have my own airport grf and this parameter will not be needed any more.

If I detected this grf, people would complain that the parameter doesn't work. :)
Which physical parameter (0-based counting) in av8 controls this? And from which av8 version (action14 entry) onward?
Bit 0 Parameter 5, 2100.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

I can confirm that the duplicate-airports behavior described is indeed a result of using OGFX+ Airports and Av8 with its maintenance-modifying parameter set.
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
LSky
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by LSky »

PikkaBird wrote:
This is correct. I hope these two newgrf sets can be made more compatible with each other.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

LSky wrote:
PikkaBird wrote:
This is correct. I hope these two newgrf sets can be made more compatible with each other.
Easiest solution: don't use av8's maintenance cost parameter. That's what makes the default airports re-appear and there's really nothing I can do about on this grf's side.

What I can imagine to do:
- implement reading av8's parameter and apply the same to these airports
- av8 should check for this grf's presence and not execute the changes the parameter announces when found

If Pikka agrees, I'll implement it that way and communicate the grf version from which on we read that parameter and respect it the av8 way.

I gather that the parameter does 1/8 the maintenance costs but not the same for each? If so: how? Anything else so far? Should we change introduction dates for small airfield and heliport? To which years?
LSky
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by LSky »

planetmaker wrote: Easiest solution: don't use av8's maintenance cost parameter. That's what makes the default airports re-appear and there's really nothing I can do about on this grf's side.
That's probably the best way to proceed for me. Thanks for the help.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Okay, sounds reasonable.

The property 11 values for the 9 default airports are as follows:

Code: Select all

\w1
\w30
\w1
\w45
\w100
\w8
\w2
\w200
\w4
The Helidepot (id 06) is available 0000 FFFF (indefinitely, for airships). The Commuter Airport (id 05) is available 1963 FFFF. These intro date changes are not in the current release version but will be in 2200.

The first av8 version to test for OpenGFX+ Airports and disable its own changes if found will be version 2200.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

PikkaBird wrote:Okay, sounds reasonable.

The property 11 values for the 9 default airports are as follows:

\w1
\w30
\w1
\w45
\w100
\w8
\w2
\w200
\w4
The Helidepot (id 06) is available 0000 FFFF (indefinitely, for airships). The Commuter Airport (id 05) is available 1963 FFFF. These intro date changes are not in the current release version but will be in 2200.

The first av8 version to test for OpenGFX+ Airports and disable its own changes if found will be version 2200.
Nice. I expect then OpenGFX+Airports to implement this from its version 174 onward.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

The changes mentioned above have been implemented, and a lot of other goodies as well. It has been quite some time since the last release, and zero.eight has been very busy in the time since as well:

Version 0.4.0 (02-02-2013)
--------------------------
- Feature: av8 compatibility: implement its maintenance costs and introduction date, if requested by its parameter
- Feature: Parameter for maintenance costs
- Feature: Parameter to disable availability dates of airports
- Feature: new modern look for small airport
- Feature: Full groundsprite climate awareness (desert edge detection, snow grade detection)
- Feature: Preview images uses action colors and are climate aware
- Feature: String with URL to project website
- Feature: Parameter to disable airport noise
- Change: Rename grf to ogfx-airports.grf to be more in line with the other OpenGFX+ projects
- Change: Also ship the changelog
- Change: Update to NewGRF v8 / NML 0.3
- Fix: Runway lights were flashing in wrong order
- Fix: Clipping through SW hangar due to undersize bounding box
- Add: translations for Dutch, German, Russian, Spanish and Traditional Chinese
As usual the NewGRF can be obtained conveniently from the ingame content download or by manual download from the DevZone's bundle server

If you're missing a translation, please feel encouraged to provide us with them. You find the english language file here. Please mind to supply them utf-8 encoded.
Kraks
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kraks »

planetmaker wrote:

- Add: translations for Dutch, German, Russian, Spanish and Traditional Chinese
GRF params are still in English... At least for Russian.

upd:
Here is the translation:

EN	Disable airport noise limits
RU	Отключить уровни шума аэропортов

EN	Disable airport date restrictions
RU	Отключить ограничения аэропортов по датам

EN	Airport maintenance costs
RU	Стоимости обслуживания аэропортов

EN	normal
RU	обычные

Return to “Graphics Development”