Martian Industries

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Martian Industries

Post by oftcrash »

31 March 2014
I disappeared about a year ago due to crazy life events, and then posted a month or so ago that I wouldn't be finishing this. Well, the funny thing about having an infant is that you are up at ridiculous times of night and you sometimes get time on your hands. So, no promises on fully finishing, but I can at least state some incremental progress.

This is a modification of the industries in the toyland world to match the graphics in the Toyland to Mars conversion done by George (I don't actually know his last name). This Mars is more of a Jules Verne or Steampunk version of the planet, but its goofy fun.

This grf requires George's Toyland to Mars Conversion (download page) be loaded first.

source code (may not be up to date right away):
https://github.com/oftcrash/martian-industries

Build: 453
martian-industries.zip
Martian Industries Build 453
(10 KiB) Downloaded 481 times
Like a fine wine, I also recommend Martian Town Names to compliment Martian Industries.
martian_names.grf
Martian Names
(4.94 KiB) Downloaded 391 times
Minor fixes to ensure production of all cargos so it is at least playable.
  • 31 March 2014 - Production now based on delivered cargos. I haven't fully QAed this yet. The baby finally fell asleep, so I'm going to go do this same.
  • Fixed refinery so it now produces both deuterium and chemicals
  • Fixed colony landing pod so it produces colonists and supplies
  • A couple additional layouts for xeno-arboretum and hydrochemical drills
  • Towns support colonists and supplies
  • News - this might be fixed. I haven't had a chance to verify if the News has the correct text now or not.
To Do:
  • industry animations
  • Add in error message requiring Toyland to Mars
  • Refine Cargos (maybe)
  • Refine Industries (looking for feedback on balance)
  • Change the Xeno-Arboretum trees to local flora.

Martian-Industry.png
    Martian-Industry.png (77.85 KiB) Viewed 14319 times
Last edited by oftcrash on 31 Mar 2014 06:53, edited 8 times in total.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Martian Industries

Post by Supercheese »

Great efforts, definitely a better industry & cargo theme than cotton candy and the like! :D
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

I quite like what I see here.

From a code POV, I'd strongly recommend to separate the industry and the vehicle part into two separate NewGRFs, though. That would allow much greater playing flexibility without loss of any functionality. E.g. I can well imagine to play these industries along with NUTS trainset - and many vehicle sets offer support
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

planetmaker wrote:From a code POV, I'd strongly recommend to separate the industry and the vehicle part into two separate NewGRFs, though. That would allow much greater playing flexibility without loss of any functionality. E.g. I can well imagine to play these industries along with NUTS trainset - and many vehicle sets offer support
That's a good idea. I was using NUTS for my original testing and the engines fit well - way more detail than I was planning to try myself.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

Well, having an all-in-one grf option would be nice, as the total number of grfs that can be loaded at once is limited...

... but playing with a Mars landscape probably precludes the use of many other grfs, so it might not be a problem.
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

I'm not planning to do a massive vehicle thing. Mostly its just to fix the cargos and names to get rid of the candy stuff. I may still keep a basic rename in there. I think I will do that separately in testing for now to minimize problems, then I can integrate it back in after. If there's enough request to leave the vehicles as-is, I could shut them off with a parameter I guess.
Jacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Jacko »

Very nice!

Is something I must try when the time comes about...
"O2 is for noobs, real people breath O3" ~ said sometime by Me

All comments from me may or may not be true and do not take them word-for-word

Feel Free to join me and some other people in The Nations Game - its actually quite fun.

1000th Post at Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:43 am
2000th post at Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:22 am
MinchinWeb
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by MinchinWeb »

I'm excited to see what comes of this. I took a look at your code and compiled a GRF from it. A couple of things to add to the to do list:
  • town building still list the original toyland cargos as the accepted cargos. As a by product, there doesn't seem to currently be anyplace to take colonists.
  • the original T2M conversion does not seem to include sloped river tiles
Keep up the great work!
Alberta Town Names - 1500+ real names from 'Acme' to 'Zama City'
MinchinWeb's Random Town Name Generator - providing 2 million plus names...
WmDOT v13 - An AI that doubles as your highway department
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

MinchinWeb wrote:I'm excited to see what comes of this. I took a look at your code and compiled a GRF from it. A couple of things to add to the to do list:
  • town building still list the original toyland cargos as the accepted cargos. As a by product, there doesn't seem to currently be anyplace to take colonists.
  • the original T2M conversion does not seem to include sloped river tiles
Keep up the great work!
I'd consider both of these issues worth a separate NewGRF: the Mars landscape and the Mars houses one :D
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

"Automated Manufactury" sounds very... oxymoronic...
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

Just a quick update. I've been wanting to pick up Python for a while, so I got a little sidetracked writing a basic build script. When I realized I was starting to move beyond a simple script, I decided to hold up. I think I'm at a comfort level now where I'll be able to take a closer look at hopefully implement the one from openttdcoop.

By the way, thank you Andythenorth for the templating guide! It was handy as I got going.
V453000 :)
President
President

Post by V453000 :) »

I intend to support your industry set with at least proper precise support of cargoes and eventually new sprites for NUTS once your industry set is on bananas and after I get to play with it to see what is needed to draw :)
ImageImageImage
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

I'm looking at the town cargo name issue now. Looking through the specs, I can't see where that gets set. My cargos have new names, but the labels are the same:
Colonists (PASS)
Colony Supplies (GOOD)

I understand that in regular industries, you set the acceptance and subsequently the cargo name, in the industrytile (thank you Pikkabird for the explanation). I'm looking through the NML and newgrf specs on towns, but can't find anything similar. In fact, the only thing i can find is the impact of cargo on town growth. Can someone point me in the right direction?

By they way, thank you for all the supportive comments and the assistance. This is a great community!
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Cargos have a town effect property (those cargos which are needed to allow town growth in arctic or tropical climate). The other acceptances are defined by the individual houses (see property 'accepted_cargos' (acceptance) and population and mail_multiplier (cargo supply).
Some, but not all default houses accept GOOD or FOOD. They all supply a fraction of passengers, most supply mail. Check OpenTTD's source for details
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

Ah, I see. Ok, that makes sense - each house is kind of like a mini industry. Is there a shortcut to override the cargo across a bunch of house IDs, or does each one need a separate block? Same for industrytiles?

edit: I created a simple script to loop through all the IDs and create the necessary overrides for each house ID.
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

I posted an alpha release at the top of this thread. I've been working mostly on build scripts, not so much for the benefit of this particular project but as a way to dive into Python for some background research I'm doing for work. Still, I managed to make a few updates :)
  • Towns are now accepting the correct cargos.
  • Trains, road vehicles and the single cargo ship all accept refits and have non-candy-ish, though uninspired, names. I don't plan to do much with this, just wanted to get the basics converted.
  • Updated some industry layouts
  • Disabled the 12th cargo slot for now (I'm only using 11)
  • Tweaked the cargo settings a tad, but this will require more testing.
  • Added a little town growth to Deuterium (untested) - everyone likes electricity after all, plus its used to thaw out frozen colonists in the landers.
Let me know what enhancements / bugs / suggestions you have. Work and life are going to get busy for a while starting tomorrow, but I'll check in when I can!
V453000 :)
President
President

Post by V453000 :) »

I had a quick look,

- it looks like all of the secondary industries produce their stuff without being supplied anything

- the hydrochemical refinery does not produce chemicals

Looks interesting so far but I will need to have a deeper look into it; perhaps if you put the newGRF on bananas, we could test it on a server which brings a lot more testing than just what a quick look does ;)
ImageImageImage
AMX
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AMX »

V453000 :) wrote: perhaps if you put the newGRF on bananas...)
Sorry for butting in like this, but, at the risk of looking dense - how would that help, considering this newGRF requires Toyland to Mars, which is not on bananas?
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

Its definitely my intent to put it in Bananas, but I was going to wait until I had ironed out the major issues. I didn't realize T2M wasn't on there - I had downloaded it so long ago I hadn't thought to look for it again. I could at least reference the link to the T2M download on George's site in the readme.

Return to “Graphics Development”