Version 2.0 - Look to the Future

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Engineer
Engineer

Re: Version 2.0 - Look to the Future

Post by 2457 »

andythenorth wrote:
v2.0 needs needs needs:

a train driving mode. This would be available to all players in multiplayer (up to 65536 players). Each player would drive one train. It is not necessary to drive other transport types, only trains. In this way we can compete with Trainz and suchlike.
removal of other transport modes which are not trains. The things like ships are just a nasty hack, because the game was made for trains, and the other types are kind of just a perversion of the codebase (noobs won't understand this, but I have read at least 9,000 lines of the actual codez so I know wot I discourse about). Removing ships, airplanes and road vehicles will allow the codebase to be cleaned up, unblocking lots of very important features like underground building mode.
hovercraft. Hovercraft would be totally awesome.
I should be able to buy extra content, but also get refunds on it if I don't like it. Not with Paypal.
There should be a way to use OpenTTD for bitcoin mining, like I build a big network, then it mines bitcoins or something
Vote mode. If a feature is missing, I should be able to vote to have it.
Lemmings mod. I type cheat code into a sign window, and I can play original lemmings. That would be awesome
Automatic mode. If I'm like bored of playing and crap, I can just press 'auto' button and the computer will play the game for me.
Combined ECS, FIRS, and Pikka's basic industries, without newgrfs. Devs should put all these newgrfs into basic game, all at once. It's crappy that I can't have all these turned on, and that I have to load newgrfs. The game will never take off and be truly popular if stuff like this isn't fixed.

I have talked a lot about stuff like this with devs on irc, and I can tell you for sure that they have strong thoughts about doing it.

Can't wait for v2.0.

sick, but some of this is allready in the game.
remove other than trains. it can be done.
hovercrafts are there , just check the newgrfs. hoverbus, for example.
bitcoin mining.. weeeel, someone build a 7 segment display with ottd, basic logics can be made. i would not be surprised if it was possible to replicate the calculations used in bitcoin mining.
automaic mode is there, just build yor self an AI.

maybe you are not that far off with those requests :D
:bow:
The Prophet -thx Pikka-
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

2457 wrote:hovercraft. Hovercraft would be totally awesome.
Not that can travel over both water and land (there was an old patch for that).
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
wkdboi
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wkdboi »

2457 wrote:andythenorth wrote:
v2.0 needs needs needs:

a train driving mode. This would be available to all players in multiplayer (up to 65536 players). Each player would drive one train. It is not necessary to drive other transport types, only trains. In this way we can compete with Trainz and suchlike.
removal of other transport modes which are not trains. The things like ships are just a nasty hack, because the game was made for trains, and the other types are kind of just a perversion of the codebase (noobs won't understand this, but I have read at least 9,000 lines of the actual codez so I know wot I discourse about). Removing ships, airplanes and road vehicles will allow the codebase to be cleaned up, unblocking lots of very important features like underground building mode.
hovercraft. Hovercraft would be totally awesome.
I should be able to buy extra content, but also get refunds on it if I don't like it. Not with Paypal.
There should be a way to use OpenTTD for bitcoin mining, like I build a big network, then it mines bitcoins or something
Vote mode. If a feature is missing, I should be able to vote to have it.
Lemmings mod. I type cheat code into a sign window, and I can play original lemmings. That would be awesome
Automatic mode. If I'm like bored of playing and crap, I can just press 'auto' button and the computer will play the game for me.
Combined ECS, FIRS, and Pikka's basic industries, without newgrfs. Devs should put all these newgrfs into basic game, all at once. It's crappy that I can't have all these turned on, and that I have to load newgrfs. The game will never take off and be truly popular if stuff like this isn't fixed.

I have talked a lot about stuff like this with devs on irc, and I can tell you for sure that they have strong thoughts about doing it.

Can't wait for v2.0.

sick, but some of this is allready in the game.
remove other than trains. it can be done.
hovercrafts are there , just check the newgrfs. hoverbus, for example.
bitcoin mining.. weeeel, someone build a 7 segment display with ottd, basic logics can be made. i would not be surprised if it was possible to replicate the calculations used in bitcoin mining.
automaic mode is there, just build yor self an AI.

maybe you are not that far off with those requests :D
:bow:
I sincerly hope they don't take out any of the other forms I transport, ITS called TRANSPORT TYCOON, Not TRAIN TYCOON... Sorry but you are mad if you belive it is built just around trains
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Bitcoin mining: If not for the fact that this industry is about to collapse with the advent of new Bitcoin-dedicated GPU cards, I wouldn't be adverse to this as a means of raising development & hosting funding for OpenTTD.

32bpp: The celebration of OpenTTD going to 1.0 isn't because we got OpenGFX, but because the game could finally be distributed without a dependency on the old TTD files, and we didn't have to encourage piracy in order to grow our community. I would have been supportive if a goal of 2.0 was to include support for 32bpp NewGRFs, but we're already there now. :-)

3D/360-degree views: I think this would be worthy of a jump to 2.0. Somebody feel free to get to re-writing the map array! I don't think that this would
ruin OpenTTD or the TTD experience. Especially if enabling those modes would be optionally enabled.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

wasn't the idea of bitcoin-mining that any short-term tech boost will be quickly eaten up by the increased complexity of finding new coins? (Moore's law states that processing power follows an exponential growth, so all bitcoin has to do is to stay slightly ahead of this growth, then technological development will have no influence asymptotically)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Eddi wrote:wasn't the idea of bitcoin-mining that any short-term tech boost will be quickly eaten up by the increased complexity of finding new coins? (Moore's law states that processing power follows an exponential growth, so all bitcoin has to do is to stay slightly ahead of this growth, then technological development will have no influence asymptotically)

What I meant was that the new GPU-processing add-on cards are going to make it so that an individual computer, especially those that are mainly relying on CPUs for mining, are going to become obsolete. Bitcoin mining is about to become the domain of expensive, specialized equipment.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

... so computers become obsolete when new and more advanced computers are invented. SHOCKING NEWS...
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Eddi wrote:... so computers become obsolete when new and more advanced computers are invented. SHOCKING NEWS...
No, Bitcoin mining clients on general-use PCs becomes obsolete when dedicated mining boxes become the standard.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

andythenorth wrote:v2.0 needs needs needs:
  • a train driving mode. This would be available to all players in multiplayer (up to 65536 players). Each player would drive one train. It is not necessary to drive other transport types, only trains. In this way we can compete with Trainz and suchlike.
  • removal of other transport modes which are not trains. The things like ships are just a nasty hack, because the game was made for trains, and the other types are kind of just a perversion of the codebase (noobs won't understand this, but I have read at least 9,000 lines of the actual codez so I know wot I discourse about). Removing ships, airplanes and road vehicles will allow the codebase to be cleaned up, unblocking lots of very important features like underground building mode.
  • hovercraft. Hovercraft would be totally awesome.
  • I should be able to buy extra content, but also get refunds on it if I don't like it. Not with Paypal.
  • There should be a way to use OpenTTD for bitcoin mining, like I build a big network, then it mines bitcoins or something
  • Vote mode. If a feature is missing, I should be able to vote to have it.
  • Lemmings mod. I type cheat code into a sign window, and I can play original lemmings. That would be awesome
  • Automatic mode. If I'm like bored of playing and crap, I can just press 'auto' button and the computer will play the game for me.
  • Combined ECS, FIRS, and Pikka's basic industries, without newgrfs. Devs should put all these newgrfs into basic game, all at once. It's crappy that I can't have all these turned on, and that I have to load newgrfs. The game will never take off and be truly popular if stuff like this isn't fixed.

Can't wait for v2.0.
Uh wow. Sure most of this should be done in Transport Empire. :mrgreen:
(well, apart from the modified industries, which is nice)

Oh, and also, I don't think that we should remove road, water and air transport, instead we should develop them further :D
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

andythenorth wrote:v2.0 needs needs needs:
  • a train driving mode. This would be available to all players in multiplayer (up to 65536 players). Each player would drive one train. It is not necessary to drive other transport types, only trains. In this way we can compete with Trainz and suchlike.
  • removal of other transport modes which are not trains. The things like ships are just a nasty hack, because the game was made for trains, and the other types are kind of just a perversion of the codebase (noobs won't understand this, but I have read at least 9,000 lines of the actual codez so I know wot I discourse about). Removing ships, airplanes and road vehicles will allow the codebase to be cleaned up, unblocking lots of very important features like underground building mode.
  • hovercraft. Hovercraft would be totally awesome.
  • I should be able to buy extra content, but also get refunds on it if I don't like it. Not with Paypal.
  • There should be a way to use OpenTTD for bitcoin mining, like I build a big network, then it mines bitcoins or something
  • Vote mode. If a feature is missing, I should be able to vote to have it.
  • Lemmings mod. I type cheat code into a sign window, and I can play original lemmings. That would be awesome
  • Automatic mode. If I'm like bored of playing and crap, I can just press 'auto' button and the computer will play the game for me.
  • Combined ECS, FIRS, and Pikka's basic industries, without newgrfs. Devs should put all these newgrfs into basic game, all at once. It's crappy that I can't have all these turned on, and that I have to load newgrfs. The game will never take off and be truly popular if stuff like this isn't fixed.

Can't wait for v2.0.
  • Multi-Track Drifting. I don't understand how on earth could CS forget about it while coding the game. Note: This actually needs to be implemented in the next update.
  • Assault Rifles. Every modern game needs those.
  • Hats. See above.
  • Vehicle modifications. Carbon hoods, wheel rims, nitrous oxide, paintjobs.
  • Tiberium. Everything is cooler with giant tiberium crystals growing everywhere.
  • This (to compensate for aircraft).

With these things in, OpenTTD would become a strong, modern game with a large (albeit a bit young) fanbase.

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
Pingaware
Director
Director

Post by Pingaware »

Zephyris wrote:I think zBase is less of a milestone than OpenGFX, after all OpenGFX was the first time ever that OpenTTD really was completely free software. zBase is just eyecandy :)
I have to agree with Zeph here. 1.0 wasn't just OpenGFX after all, it was also OpenSFX, which was in some ways a harder project to complete as far as I remember. zBase won't really be a major addition in the same way they were.
Chris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Chris »

It all ends in tears. Turns out joy riding Japanese suburban trains isn't a good idea.
Screenshots

Formerly Class 165
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

Zephyris wrote:I think zBase is less of a milestone than OpenGFX, after all OpenGFX was the first time ever that OpenTTD really was completely free software. zBase is just eyecandy :)
Exactly why OpenGFX was properly supported in 0.7.0 and zBase in 1.2.3. Hmm... zBase has a much nicer support version than OpenGFX.
SquireJames
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SquireJames »

Bitcoins sound like a load of rubbish anyway :P

As for my idea for Version 2, well it would be nice if some kind of "height" awareness could be added, akin to Locomotion. For example, making it possible to build bridges across railway platforms, or even build viaducts across houses and such if there is sufficient height. That would be just as complex as an underground system though wouldn't it? Given the map array and everything.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

SquireJames wrote:As for my idea for Version 2, well it would be nice if some kind of "height" awareness could be added, akin to Locomotion. For example, making it possible to build bridges across railway platforms, or even build viaducts across houses and such if there is sufficient height.
It will likely be here before we get to 2.0: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=63890
SquireJames
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SquireJames »

Ah nice :) Call me stupid but I hadn't seen that topic :D Well it's nice to know I had a sensible idea! (and as usual, if it's an idea thats any good, someone else has already had it long before me)
Robbedem
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Robbedem »

What about rails to be only half a tile wide, or (almost) everything else double in size.
Altough it might be way to much work...
Eisenbaehr
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Eisenbaehr »

real curves!
http://www.wdr.de/tv/kopfball/sendungsb ... 6_a_xl.jpg

22.5° switches/junctions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SunsetTracksCrop.JPG

cars that does not go to the mountain like a funicular and rounded portions (english word??)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ufberg.png

various slopes (22.5, 45, 67.5, 90°)

2 tracks on 1 tile (like tram)

shunting

better ratio between tiles/km (1 tile = 100 meters would be much better), trains with 30 cars are longer than some cities

peoples on the road, in cars (city ​​life, traffic jam)

trains crashes at the end of a track (like Locomotion)

day/night

Thank you! :) OpenTTD is a sunshine in my life.
SniperDJ
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by SniperDJ »

I have read this thread, I do not know if it has been mentioned before.

Improve the usage of CPU because OTTD only uses 1 core, please make this a goal for v2.0

e.t. when i have a 1000 vehicles running, they are running very slow and there is no difference between fast and normal speed (the forwarding option).
this while my CPU (a quad-core) is running at less than 26% of it's maximum usage.
ImageImageTake a look at my Australia Scenario (work in progress)Image Proud citizen of The Netherlands
recently aquired the FCE
jostor
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jostor »

SniperDJ wrote:I have read this thread, I do not know if it has been mentioned before.

Improve the usage of CPU because OTTD only uses 1 core, please make this a goal for v2.0

e.t. when i have a 1000 vehicles running, they are running very slow and there is no difference between fast and normal speed (the forwarding option).
this while my CPU (a quad-core) is running at less than 26% of it's maximum usage.
I would also like to second this. Most modern computers today are quad-cores, and even not-so-good computers are have dual-core processors. For performance reasons it would be really nice with OpenTTD running on multiple cores, if you have a game with 1k+ vehicles, a large map and many timetables/signals and other things to keep track of, it gets heavy quite fast.

Eisenbaehr wrote:real curves!
http://www.wdr.de/tv/kopfball/sendungsb ... 6_a_xl.jpg

22.5° switches/junctions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SunsetTracksCrop.JPG

cars that does not go to the mountain like a funicular and rounded portions (english word??)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ufberg.png

various slopes (22.5, 45, 67.5, 90°)

2 tracks on 1 tile (like tram)

shunting

better ratio between tiles/km (1 tile = 100 meters would be much better), trains with 30 cars are longer than some cities

peoples on the road, in cars (city ​​life, traffic jam)

trains crashes at the end of a track (like Locomotion)

day/night

Thank you! :) OpenTTD is a sunshine in my life.
Yes, yes and yes! :)

Return to “General OpenTTD”