Cannot find your screens, saves, or scenarios: a solution

Got problems with Locomotion? Find assistance here!

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

Spacek531
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Cannot find your screens, saves, or scenarios: a solution

Post by Spacek531 »

If you are running Windows 7 and you are not able to find the screenshots that you take, the saves that you save, or the scenarios that you make, there is a simple problem and a simple solution.

The problem: Windows 7 User Account Control, which makes the program files folder read-only, meaning that it cannot write in the program files folder or subfolders.

The solution: First, to make your job easier, change loco.exe to compatability mode: Windows XP Service Pack 3. If you open the game up you will find that all of your precious saves and scenarios are GONE! Not to worry, you can find them easily here: C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Atari\Locomotion

There you will find your screenshots, saved games, custom scenarios, and locomotion config files. (this stores your resolution, as well as whether or not you embed mods in the scenarios) To use them just copy and paste the files into the appropriate locations.

Also, running Locomotion in Windows XP Service Pack 3 allows you to record using Hypercam with no problem!

Alternatively, you can follow this path to turn the UAC off (which will restore all the files) Action Center -> Change User Account Control settings -> Never Notify -> OK (thanks to Strongbow)
Last edited by Spacek531 on 31 Aug 2011 17:25, edited 5 times in total.
Help for Windows 7
RELEASED: Amtrak Cascades
Give me train ideas, they and their babies just might turn into a mod.

emergency pony link

By the way, ponies.
strongbow
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Cannot find your screens, saves, or scenarios: a solutio

Post by strongbow »

Or, turn User Account Control off altogether and screenshots, saves, etc. will be where they should be - in the Program Files\Locomotion folder. Windows doesn't recommend this, but I just couldn't be bothered confirming twice every task I did. :wink:
Spacek531
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Spacek531 »

Yeah, then Windows believes that you still might want it turned back on so it bugs you a lot about it.
Help for Windows 7

emergency pony link

By the way, ponies.
strongbow
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by strongbow »

Control Panel -> Action Center -> Change Action Center settings -> Uncheck User Account Control, press OK. :wink:
Opan
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Opan »

I followed Strongbows direction to turn off my User Account control, but my screenshots are still missing :? Any suggestions?
Spacek531
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Spacek531 »

Did you look in the Virtual Store?

C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Atari\Locomotion

if they aren't there then I guess you will have to retake them.
Last edited by Spacek531 on 31 Aug 2011 17:26, edited 2 times in total.
Help for Windows 7

emergency pony link

By the way, ponies.
strongbow
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by strongbow »

What I wrote above isn't the way to turn off UAC. It's how to turn off the notification about UAC being turned off in the system tray. Meaning, you need to turn off UAC first, then the annoying notification if you wish. UAC is turned off also in the Action Center -> Change User Account Control settings -> Never Notify -> OK. All the new screenshots, saves, etc. will appear in Program Files\Atari\Locomotion now.
Opan
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Opan »

Sorry to keep pestering you guys, but I tried searching for the Virtual Cache and I received an error screen. My disk is in the drive and I am connected to the internet. And I did what Strongbrow said, by turning User Account Control and turning it to never notify. My screens and saves are still missing. :? Thanks for your patients though guys, I do appreciate the help.
Attachments
The error screen I get when searching for the Virtual Cache
The error screen I get when searching for the Virtual Cache
Error screen.PNG (78.57 KiB) Viewed 8265 times
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

It could be that the path is incorrect, try %appdata% (in your explorer/startmenu search thing.) then it shows your appadata folder. Try to look further after that.

also if i am correct, the already made screenshots will stay there. tried to make new ones? And are those in the Locomotion folder where they should be?
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...
Spacek531
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Spacek531 »

DOH!

It should have been /VirtualStore/

not /VirtualCache/
Help for Windows 7

emergency pony link

By the way, ponies.
Opan
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Opan »

Alright well it seems as though it has fixed itself, though I lost my saves and screenshots. I restarted my computer a couple of times and the screenshots seem to be going where they are supposed to be, but anything I had prior to that has been lost unfortunately. Just a note too, I did search %appdate% with nothing to be found, and the link Spacek is giving, keeps getting the same error, though I don't know why. Nevertheless my problem has been fixed. Thanks again guys.
APDAF
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by APDAF »

Type %appdata% into the run thing.
Visit my screenshot thread--> http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=54118
If you want to have a go at War Thunder, PM me, I have an invite code.
Opan
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Opan »

That is what I did, with nothing to be found.
APDAF
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by APDAF »

It should be %AppData%
Visit my screenshot thread--> http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=54118
If you want to have a go at War Thunder, PM me, I have an invite code.
Spacek531
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Spacek531 »

When you type in %AppData%, it should transport you to the "Roaming" file. If it does, go back up a level and click on "local", which is where the Virtual Store is.
Help for Windows 7

emergency pony link

By the way, ponies.
Opan
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Opan »

Ahhh, that did it. My save files! Thank you sir!

Here is the correct link: C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Atari\Locomotion
Spacek531
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Spacek531 »

thanks Opan, I had it written as Roaming rather than local :oops:

the main post is fixed.
Help for Windows 7

emergency pony link

By the way, ponies.
strongdude123
Engineer
Engineer

Post by strongdude123 »

Spacek531 wrote:If you are running Windows 7 and you are not able to find the screenshots that you take, the saves that you save, or the scenarios that you make, there is a simple problem and a simple solution.

The problem: Windows 7 User Account Control, which makes the program files folder read-only, meaning that it cannot write in the program files folder or subfolders.

The solution: First, to make your job easier, change loco.exe to compatability mode: Windows XP Service Pack 3. If you open the game up you will find that all of your precious saves and scenarios are GONE! Not to worry, you can find them easily here: C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Atari\Locomotion

There you will find your screenshots, saved games, custom scenarios, and locomotion config files. (this stores your resolution, as well as whether or not you embed mods in the scenarios) To use them just copy and paste the files into the appropriate locations.

Also, running Locomotion in Windows XP Service Pack 3 allows you to record using Hypercam with no problem!

Alternatively, you can follow this path to turn the UAC off (which will restore all the files) Action Center -> Change User Account Control settings -> Never Notify -> OK (thanks to Strongbow)
Could you try to help with windows 8? http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=63940
Hello to all! I play locomotion quite often, but it is not working on my windows 8 machine :( Working on it though!!!

Return to “Locomotion Problems, FAQs and Tutorials”