[TTDP/OTTD] Raichase's Official Screenshot Thread

Screenshots of your games! All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [TTDP/OTTD] Raichase's Official Screenshot Thread

Post by Pyoro »

Nice screens - I quite like Bremen between those hills and rivers - but odd ... combination of roads? Did you do that on purpose? :?
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

Pyoro wrote:Nice screens - I quite like Bremen between those hills and rivers - but odd ... combination of roads? Did you do that on purpose? :?
The roads are an unfortunate combination of grf's - I'll figure out the correct order one day to have everything looking right! :lol:
14.png
(343.72 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
It's 1990 (in the screenshots, anyway), and a new S-Bahn line has opened to serve the other side of the lake at Bremen. Here is the junction at Bremen East, showing the first of three new stations to the south, Bremen Heights.
15.png
15.png (315.52 KiB) Viewed 631 times
Another view of the Bremen passenger and freight terminals - note the BR103 hauling an intercity service to Berlin and Hamburg, it won't be long before these are replaced...
16.png
(283.22 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
At Berlin, the S-Bahn station was moved away from the main passenger station (not bad, considering the original station was built to serve trains from Bremen in the 1920's!) to reduce congestion.
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

17.png
17.png (218.2 KiB) Viewed 631 times
Another shot of the new S-Bahn line in Bremen, showing the other two stations. The goods line (another relic from the 1920's) has seen traffic continually diminishing with the introduction of "block trains" as opposed to smaller, more frequent services with less capacity, and part of the alignment was replaced with a light rail system, offering passengers from the new suburb a direct tram into the city centre to connect with passenger trains are the terminal, to avoid having to travel on the S-Bahn to change to a tram to get to the terminal. Always thinking of the people, we are!
18.png
(332.73 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Hamburg continues to grow as a major regional centre. All express services on the western line out of Hamburg have been removed, with a fleet of BR111's offering an all-stations S-Bahn service instead. Travel times are more or less comparable, with the advantage that fast trains don't get "stuck" behind all stations trains.
19.png
19.png (63.91 KiB) Viewed 2379 times
In 1992, a trial "ICE-1" EMU was purchased to operate between Bremen, Berlin and Hamburg. This set would prove to be a success, with a new right-of-way built between Berlin and Hamburg to avoid confliction with freight and local services. By 1994, the existing BR103 fleet had been retired and stored, as a further three train sets were purchased. Here, the first set arrives at Bremen out of the workshops.
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
ImageImage
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

20.png
20.png (112.31 KiB) Viewed 631 times
A look at the revised junction at Hamburg. There will always be conflict between ICE trains are the rest of the mainline traffic in the station yard area, however this is minimised as best that we could!
21.png
21.png (75.75 KiB) Viewed 2377 times
Two ICE-1 trains pass north of Berlin on their new line.
23.png
23.png (71.64 KiB) Viewed 2377 times
As the "final" ICE-1 trains round out at 12-cars long, (as opposed to the standard length of 10-cars, used by previous intercity services), modifications to the historic station platforms were made. Sadly, we did not apply these modifications with any care to the original station design (as is typical for 1990's based companies), hence why it looks a bit ugly! Ah, such is the price of progress, I suppose.
ImageImage
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

Into the 2000's, where most of my games normally "end", as a lack of new locomotives and rolling stock, combined with with loss of a lot of utility locomotives - building new non-electric trains currently gives me a choice of the "Blue Tiger", the BR612 or the ICE-TD. This is fine, except when I want to operate a container trip train from the sawmill to the main freight yard, and the V100 is "getting old", and I've run out of spares*. I just gave up, electrified, and bought a BR140 in this case.

Anyway, I digress! I've phased out all of the older "blue/cream" rolling stock, with all of those cars cycled through the depot for new interiors and a new paint scheme into the current InterCity livery. A trial ICE-3 has been purchased to operate on the ICE line between Bremen and Hamburg. BR612's have been replacing BR614's on regional services, as well as the odd railbus on rural lines. Bremen Yard continually jammed up, not through lack of platforms, but just through congestion. This was rectified in 2003.
24.png
24.png (322.38 KiB) Viewed 630 times
Essen remains the domain of the older BR112 and V160 types, with the BR112's hauling the regional and local services through the town. A pair of ICE-TD trainsets were also purchased to run through the town, although they're not pictured here.
25.png
25.png (138.26 KiB) Viewed 630 times
Magdeburg, on the Berlin to Hamburg line has been simplified slightly. Originally a bypass track was provided for non-stopping trains, but as these are now operated by ICE trainsets on a separate line, there is no need.
26.png
26.png (126.81 KiB) Viewed 630 times
*As some of you might remember, I never sell locomotives off except when their age catches up to them - Just because I don't need it NOW doesn't mean I won't need it in the future. This is especially good for shorthaul trains, when there's no point spending big dollars on a modern locomotive, when any old clunker will do!
ImageImage
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

These have convinced me that my current game has too many towns I think, half as many would be just as good.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Very nice shots, Rai. Only the DB set looks old. :|

regards
Michael
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

michael blunck wrote:Very nice shots, Rai. Only the DB set looks old. :|

regards
Michael
Your fault!
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

Ameecher wrote:These have convinced me that my current game has too many towns I think, half as many would be just as good.
I completely agree with you! I've long since struggled with the "larger maps" since getting OTTD - it just gets too much to manage without simplfying everything - and I'm not about that, I'm about micromanaging the stuffing out of my trains, keeping rolling stock modern, re-allocating old locomotives until they're "expired", etc. I found the only way to do this was to have a "slightly" larger map, and the same number of towns as the old games used to - this ensures nice long distances between towns, making it more of a formality to link them up.

Now that I have remembered how to play (don't laugh), my next game will have "infrastructure costs" switched on. I long for a day when single-track lines with passing loops ARE viable, but I doubt the TTD signalling system would ever support it. I say this, because that's the norm in Australia, we don't have a lot of double-track between cities (even Sydney and Melbourne!)

I realise this is not how it is in Europe (hence my reluctance to electrify), but what would be the point if all games were the same? I take an Aussie mindset into a game with German trains, and it's always interesting to me to make it work.
michael blunck wrote:Very nice shots, Rai. Only the DB set looks old. :|
Please don't assume this is empty flattery Michael, but I completely disagree. I've never felt the DBXL to be "dated" in any way. Obviously I run into limitations that we discuss at length, but graphically, I find it holds up next to "modern" sets quite nicely. I realise it might look dated to you, but that's only because you've since improved upon the original with new/redrawn locomotives (recent discussions about the BR38, for example). I find that, without having played with the "new" graphics, there is nothing lacking about the current set. It always has, and always will be one of my favourites. I've never been able to get into a new trainset as much as this (excepting, of course the UKRS and Canadian Sets, two sets which sit on the same level as the DBXL).

I guess though, I get into a "comfort zone", although who amongst us hasn't? We're all still playing a game that is over a decade old! I think that says it all, really!
ImageImage
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Raichase wrote:
Ameecher wrote:These have convinced me that my current game has too many towns I think, half as many would be just as good.
I completely agree with you! I've long since struggled with the "larger maps" since getting OTTD - it just gets too much to manage without simplfying everything - and I'm not about that, I'm about micromanaging the stuffing out of my trains, keeping rolling stock modern, re-allocating old locomotives until they're "expired", etc. I found the only way to do this was to have a "slightly" larger map, and the same number of towns as the old games used to - this ensures nice long distances between towns, making it more of a formality to link them up.

Now that I have remembered how to play (don't laugh), my next game will have "infrastructure costs" switched on. I long for a day when single-track lines with passing loops ARE viable, but I doubt the TTD signalling system would ever support it. I say this, because that's the norm in Australia, we don't have a lot of double-track between cities (even Sydney and Melbourne!)

I realise this is not how it is in Europe (hence my reluctance to electrify), but what would be the point if all games were the same? I take an Aussie mindset into a game with German trains, and it's always interesting to me to make it work.
Indeed. I like having something to always build to but I like to keep tinkering with an area to improve it. In my current game I just throw down infrastructure and leave it, much less interesting. I also don't like how many stations end up similar as a result. I like each city to have a unique station style. I have 3 main stations that are near clones in my present game :(
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

I too like having something to build to, although I find that in real life, aside from new mineral deposits, new railway lines are the exception rather than the rule. Sure, you get new railway lines within a city (Sydney continues to build one every four years or so), but new lines? Not really a major thing. That said, it is a *game*, and if it loses interest because there are no new railway lines to build, then that defeats the purpose! I personally try to connect all the towns on a map as early as possible, and then "new lines" are those to new coal/iron deposits, or new lines between cities that were otherwise not directly connected. I know what you mean about throwing it down and leaving it - I do this as much as possible, and then revisit it when it gets jammed up, much like railways do in real life (The Sydney Harbour Bridge being a key puzzle over the last decade in regards to railway capacity). Up until the "fixing" of Bremen Yard, I was getting long delays to trains there, simply because the infrastructure had long been left behind by train numbers! If I continue playing the game and adding more trains, I'll need to decentralise substantially, starting some trains at outlying towns, and running connecting services there with longer trains, to ensure more passengers are being moved with the same number of trains!
ImageImage
Michi_cc
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Michi_cc »

Raichase wrote:I long for a day when single-track lines with passing loops ARE viable, but I doubt the TTD signalling system would ever support it. I say this, because that's the norm in Australia, we don't have a lot of double-track between cities (even Sydney and Melbourne!)
You can have that somewhat, even if it is not perfect, as you can only have at most two single-track signal sections between each passing loop:
Prioritized single-track section.
Prioritized single-track section.
pbs_adv_single_track.png (22.5 KiB) Viewed 2205 times
Note that the middle two signals are on two different tiles and the distance from the signals to the function tiles has to be larger than your maximum train length. You can't have more than one such signal construct per section though, or you'd get deadlocks. The result is akin to a prioritized single track, as you can have two trains going in the same direction at once.

-- Michael Lutz
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

Michael, this is something I will have to experiment with! Thanks for the demonstration!
ImageImage
Michi_cc
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Michi_cc »

Small add-on: The signals on the passing loops should probably be one-way path signals and not two-way signals as shown, as otherwise a train could in theory "queue-jump" and slow everything down.

EDIT: If you know German, take a peek at http://www.tt-ms.de/forum/showthread.php?tid=3490.

-- Michael Lutz
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

I experimented with that style of set up, I ended up with a backlog of trains waiting for all the trains to pass in one direction. If you don't have too many trains. You can increase the capacity by adding extra pairs of signals (one on each side of the centre pairing shown by Michi_cc above) but you have a very long signal block to begin with followed by lots of shorter ones.
Another useful set up for that is if you have a 3 track layout with 1 line that is bi-directional.
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

Michi_cc wrote:Small add-on: The signals on the passing loops should probably be one-way path signals and not two-way signals as shown, as otherwise a train could in theory "queue-jump" and slow everything down.

EDIT: If you know German, take a peek at http://www.tt-ms.de/forum/showthread.php?tid=3490.

-- Michael Lutz
Michael, thanks for the link - I'm actually using many of those setups in my game already, although it might be harder to pick them out as there's no shortage of scenery surrounding them. Good to see I'm not so un-advanced as I thought I was! It certainly is refreshing to be able to have junctions with cross tracks without having to worry about building flyovers everywhere!
Ameecher wrote:I experimented with that style of set up, I ended up with a backlog of trains waiting for all the trains to pass in one direction. If you don't have too many trains. You can increase the capacity by adding extra pairs of signals (one on each side of the centre pairing shown by Michi_cc above) but you have a very long signal block to begin with followed by lots of shorter ones.
Another useful set up for that is if you have a 3 track layout with 1 line that is bi-directional.
Mmm, this is something I've been experimenting with recently, three tracks with a centre, bi-di track. Used it to great effect in my last UKRS game, although I've not had much need to in this game. There is a section between Hamburg and Stuttgart like this, although with the separate ICE tracks between Hamburg and Berlin, there's no need to implement it on the original mainline, as the local stopping trains rarely catch up to the freight trains with their station stops.
ImageImage
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

Sadly, as of 2009 (?) I've parked that game up for good. When trains like the BR420 start "getting old" and you've nothing to replace them with (literally, can't rebuild the BR420 as it has expired, nor can I build a "new" EMU to replace them), I lose interest. I could make them all loco-hauled trains, but then that'll only put the inevitable off by a couple of years as other trains get old and need replacement. After generating a good thirty or so maps (don't laugh, I'm not exaggerating), I finally settled on one with a good spread of towns, cities (but not too many) and a decent landscape that will allow networks, without requiring everything jammed into one small corner of the map. Given that I've found my feet again with DBXL, I've turned "Infrastructure Maintenence" on, to help offset the problem of TTD money... having too much of it!
1.png
1.png (57.59 KiB) Viewed 2118 times
To save on money (and space), through trains to the farms at Roshorst pass through the coal loading area at Roshorst Coal Mine. Electric traction is used for the coal traffic, as they are required to climb into the foothills to the east. Steam power suffices for grain traffic, as the grades are minimal.
2.png
2.png (126.77 KiB) Viewed 626 times
A shot of one of the cities, Munich (Roshorst is another nearby city, although I've not connected it up to the passenger network yet). Mostly included as a "this is what it looked like in 1924" type of thing. Especially good to compare when dealing with screenshots from the 1990's.
3.png
(44.61 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Mandatory world map.
ImageImage
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

Raichase wrote: .... After generating a good thirty or so maps (don't laugh, I'm not exaggerating) ....
I do it all the time, the balance has to be "just" right.
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

When I've used Pb_build back in the good ole days I seem to remember that my networks were so heavily influenced by freight in the early days (not necessarily unrealistic) that it ruined it a bit for me, might see if infrastructure costs are less crippling though.
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

I found that too, hence why I stopped using it. Currently I'm using the freight to subsidise the passenger services, which is, surprise surprise, how the real railways did it (in NSW, Australia at least)! Until they privatised the freight, and now the passenger services are a giant drain on the state budget...
ImageImage

Return to “Screenshots”