[OpenTTD] NuTracks - Dev Thread

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OpenTTD] NuTracks - Dev Thread

Post by FLHerne »

oberhümer wrote: - Removed the metro tracks
Does that include the third-rail tracks at various speeds? Hopefully not... :?
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

No, they're conceptually closer to the core tracks, so they're definitely staying.

Edit: Junction glitches fixed.
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

oberhümer wrote:No, they're conceptually closer to the core tracks, so they're definitely staying.
That's good :D
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Fenris
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Fenris »

oberhümer wrote: Edit: Junction glitches fixed.
So fast? Many thanks! :bow:
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

Well, it only took two minutes...
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
Fenris
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Fenris »

oberhümer wrote:Well, it only took two minutes...
And it took me about 1 year to report... :wink:
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

So, by removing the metro tracks, does that mean above ground and faux underground 3rd rail will be removed? I've never gotten the metro track set to work with anything, even the 2cc set (which hasnt been updated in ages)

Also, will this set include graphics and a parameter to select between narrow, standard, and broad gauge rails? I know the setting is there but I dont think it does anything right now.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
coalroads artist
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by coalroads artist »

Things are going well with drawing. Finished all views today for low speed track and now the rest will be easy. Will be interesting to see how that new catenary supports will look with the tracks ;)

Nekomaster: I don't know about oberhümer's interest in different gauges but I was doing some narrow gauge tracks earlier, not the ones currently being worked on as they are for standard gauge use. They are standard gauge, just a finer scale that's all. I think just trying to have a standard gauge set is a goal for now...
Attachments
nutracksjnc.PNG
nutracksjnc.PNG (165.8 KiB) Viewed 4369 times
Original AUSSET graphics artist.
-Mr squiggle was my mentor!
Tracking table-Ausset
coalroads artist
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Also a small change to very low speed with dirt. The very low speed can be seen at the station and the siding.
Attachments
vlandlownutrack.PNG
vlandlownutrack.PNG (114.28 KiB) Viewed 4367 times
Tracking table-Ausset
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

imho the tracks look too red (rusty), maybe you should try to use a more grey/metal colour?
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

NekoMaster wrote:So, by removing the metro tracks, does that mean above ground and faux underground 3rd rail will be removed?
Any set that provides regular third-rail-running trains will continue to work with only NuTracks, the Metro Track Set will only be necessary for true metros. The "faux underground" tracks will indeed be removed, and reimplemented in the Metro Track Set if necessary.
NekoMaster wrote:I've never gotten the metro track set to work with anything, even the 2cc set (which hasnt been updated in ages)
I've tested the newest NuTracks in combination with the Metro Track Set 2.1.0 (bananas version) and the newest or rather least old 2cc set nightly (r756), and everything works perfectly.
NekoMaster wrote:Also, will this set include graphics and a parameter to select between narrow, standard, and broad gauge rails?
Especially narrow gauge is a long-term goal, yes, but not right now. Still would be nice to also have some graphics for non-standard gauges (hint...).

The rails also look a little too brown to me, but it looks like a simple select-all+fill job that could be done anytime, so no need to worry about that.
ed: Almost forgot to praise the new very low speed tracks - well, here you go :)

Ogre
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ogre »

Fenris wrote:
oberhümer wrote: Edit: Junction glitches fixed.
So fast? Many thanks! :bow:
Well, parts of the glitch are still present.
NuTracks_Track_Glitch.png
(78.43 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
It seems that there are two pixels missing on both the brighter and the darker grey lines of the rails. Note that these pixels are missing on all railtypes, but they are less apparent on other railtypes than very slow tracks with its brown dirt. While this is a rather small issue, is this fixable, too?

Edit: Simple diagonal (in other words, horizontal) tracks are not affected, they must be built as a switch to "cut out" these pixels.
The pessimist sees the darkness in the tunnel.
The optimist sees the light at the end of the tunnel.
The realist sees the light coming closer...
The engineer sees three fools in front of his train on the track in the tunnel.
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

Another query: Will the current (non-'finescale') track graphics still be available? I'm not (personally) a particular fan of the small ones - to me, it makes the gap between tracks look rather too large relative to the tracks themselves...

Those do look rather nice, though. :)
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

If real-looking tracks have too large gaps between them, is that my department? :wink: What I'm tempted to do at this time is simplify things even more by not actually coding any graphics into the main NuTracks GRF. They would instead be provided by separate "adapters" that could be chosen by personal preference, I think Swedish Rails already has an option to do something of the sort.
I wouldn't be messing around with loads of extra parameters, and there only would need to be a single boilerplate for tracks, depots, fences and possibly signals that everyone could use to add their personal graphics.

Edit: Release of the "new" unintrusive catenary GRF.
Attachments
uicw.grf
GPL v. 2+, based on work by uzurpator placed in the public domain.
(2.38 KiB) Downloaded 266 times
uicw_source.zip
(12.02 KiB) Downloaded 145 times

coalroads artist
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Thanks for the praise oberhümer, haha. There's even more of the original dirt now to distinguish the very low speed...
I think the idea of just having some base tracks that can be changed is a great idea, especially if other infrastructure is included.

I toned down the red/ brown one level for everyone. I won't be doing anything much different as in real life most rails are a shade of brown due to the high iron content, except the head of the rail, which in most cases is cleaned each day..

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 00&nseq=81

First three speeds knocked over, just the last two which should be easier...
Attachments
nutracks3types.PNG
nutracks3types.PNG (180.99 KiB) Viewed 9095 times
Tracking table-Ausset
jonnie47
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonnie47 »

having a problem with the new grf. it keeps telling me theres a sprite messing. wondered if anybody else has this problem
Everton F.C The pride of merseyside
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

oberhümer wrote:If real-looking tracks have too large gaps between them, is that my department? :wink: What I'm tempted to do at this time is simplify things even more by not actually coding any graphics into the main NuTracks GRF. They would instead be provided by separate "adapters" that could be chosen by personal preference, I think Swedish Rails already has an option to do something of the sort.
SwedishRails allows to select the railtype label which its graphics shall be provided for. By default the two default railtypes, RAIL and ELRL are replaced. The other options were basically only provided so that it could work well together with NuTracks and be shown instead of any of the rail and electrified railtypes it provides. These options might meanwhile be outdated a bit, so that it doesn't work properly any longer with new(er) NuTracks due to railtype label changes therein.

For NuTracks I'd not advise to actually become only an empty railtype NewGRF as there's no real point for such set. But it's moderately easy to provide a parameter for each tracktype as to what label it shall replace. But on the other hand NuTracks tracks are unique enough so that this approach makes not much sense either: it provides several rail and several electrified rail types which necessarily need to be distinct.

My personal suggestion for a nice configuration of NuTracks would be (I've always been overwhelmed by its huge amount of tracktypes):

parameter for railtype label scheme:
- default: use of a railtype scheme as also discussed in the context of CETS like http://dev.openttdcoop.org/issues/2763 or https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... li=1#gid=9
- legacy: use of the old railtype label scheme

parameters for the amount of railtypes where 'simple' means few and 'advanced' means more detailed distinction:
- rail:
* simple (default) (2 types)
* advanced

- erail:
* advanced

- 3rdrail:
* none
* advanced

- maglev:
* none
* MGLV (default)

- Narrow gauge:+
* none (default)
* simple (2 types: normal + electrified)
* advanced (?)

- other:
* none (default)
* rack

Something like this would give 7 railtypes by default and could end up using all again when all adv. options are used.

Make it easy for yourself: screw backward compatibility to OpenTTD <= 1.2, it's of little gain. People with older versions can use the existing NuTracks after all. Start with the "simple" option only and add that additional parameter only when "done" :-)
Keeping it GPL you definitely should take a look at the railtype support of the DutchTrainSet code by FooBar - it's IMHO the prototype implementation for good railtype support on the vehicle side and uses the advanced track classification scheme as discussed for CETS.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

planetmaker wrote: parameter for railtype label scheme:
- default: use of a railtype scheme as also discussed in the context of CETS like http://dev.openttdcoop.org/issues/2763 or https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... li=1#gid=9
I'm not sure if the railtype scheme as discussed in those links is entirely up to date, the wiki shows the current state of things (and is also the way it is implemented in the Dutch Train Set).
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

The following code does not allow steam/diesel "low speed" trains (ID: RAIL) to run on medium speed electrified tracks (SCAE, position 26) and some others specified afterwards. Might the list be too long? There's no mention of a limit in the NML or NFO specs, but...

Code: Select all

compatible_railtype_list: ["RAIL", "RLOW", "RMED", "RHIG", "SAAN", "SABN", "SACN", "SBAN", "SBBN", "SBCN", "SCAN", "SCBN", "SCCN", "SDAN", "ELRL", "3RDC", "ELOW", "CLOW", "EMED", "CMED", "EHIG", "HSTR", "SBAE", "SBBE", "SBCE", "SCAE", "SCBE", "SCCE", "SDAE", "SEAE", "3RDR", "3LOW", "3MED", "SAA3", "SAB3", "SAC3", "SBA3", "SBB3", "SBC3", "SCA3", "SCB3", "SCC3", "SAAZ", "SABZ", "SACZ", "SBAZ", "SBBZ", "SBCZ", "SCAZ", "SCBZ", "SCCZ"];
Besides that, no trains at all are purchasable on electrified very low speed track (ID: SAAE) even though the same compatibility list is included.
Last edited by oberhümer on 25 Dec 2012 18:58, edited 1 time in total.

Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

oberhümer wrote:Besides that, no trains at all are purchasable on electrified very low speed track (ID: SAAE) even though the same compatibility list is included.
You also need to include "SAAE" in the powered_railtype_list of "ELRL" and there I don't see it in the list. Now your code says that "ELRL" trains are not powered on "SAAE", so then OpenTTD thinks that it doesn't make sense to allow buying the "ELRL" train in a "SAAE" depot.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML

Return to “Graphics Development”