VAST Development

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: VAST Development

Post by Quast65 »

:bow:
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
zero.eight
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by zero.eight »

I really need to release things more often.

Here are two betas:

VAST+ Infrastructure 0.1.0 Beta 1
This is a small collection of graphics that have been lying around for way too long.
This version contains:
  • 5 Foundation replacements
  • 1 road depot replacement (brick)
  • 1 fifth stage HQ replacement (modern)
You need to set this NewGRF's parameters in order to use any of these graphics.

VAST+ Fences 0.3.0 Beta 1
Updates since 0.2.0:
  • More varieties of fences in different positions per fence type (e.g. middle of tile, middle to edge)
  • Added brick wall.
  • Added parameter for coastal sprite handling:
    By default you'll get a normal ground sprite on a coast if the fence would look like it were floating in the water
    Otherwise change the parameter to always draw a normal coast sprite.
  • Added 2 "checkpoints" per fence type.
  • Added parameter for removal behaviour. It's set to "owned-land" by default so you can build over existing fences with having to dynamite them first. Towns can't build over these objects in the scenario editor so feel free to build stuff everywhere.
  • Full snow/desert awareness.
  • Added parameters for construction and removal cost multipliers.
  • Not officially compatible with earlier versions.
Known issues:
  • The 2 brick wall checkpoints are the same as the chainlink ones. I'll change them.
  • There are some rare cases where coastal tile detection fails. Not yet sure if fixable.
You will need OpenTTD r23166 or newer.

Tars are attached. Put them in OpenTTD's newgrf folder and activate ingame. No need to unpack.

Projects are GPLv2. Source is at http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/vast.

If you think you've found a bug or think something looks wrong, please let me know.
vast-fences_0.3.0_b1+infrastructure_0.1.0_b1.png
vast-fences_0.3.0_b1+infrastructure_0.1.0_b1.png (83.19 KiB) Viewed 5341 times
Attachments
VASTfences_0.3.0_beta_1.tar
(310 KiB) Downloaded 357 times
VASTinfrastructure_0.1.0_beta_1.tar
(220 KiB) Downloaded 401 times
OpenTTD: VAST - station tiles and objects | MICS - urban monorail graphical conversion | Universal Rail Type - easier train replacement
Bob_Mackenzie
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Bob_Mackenzie »

Excellent, the fences are one of the most useful GRFs
Nite Owl
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nite Owl »

Very nice work on all of the fences. I also very much like the road vehicle depot. The HQ is a bit too tall should it show up too early in the game but that is always a problem. I have always wished for a way to make the HQ time dependent (as in the year) as opposed to how well your company is doing. The foundations are nice but do not fit in with the much used ISR New Objects. Perhaps an all-inclusive foundation NewGrf is in order. I also appreciate the well thought out manner with which you have coded these NewGrfs by making nearly everything in them a choice via a parameter. Please do keep up the great work, it is very much appreciated.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet
------------------------------------------------------------
Brevity is the soul of wit and obscenity is its downfall
--------------------------------------------------------
Good Night And Good Luck - Read You Soon
zero.eight
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by zero.eight »

Thanks for having a look.
Nite Owl wrote:HQ time dependent (as in the year).
Can be done, with the downside that (IIRC) you need to reload the game in order to see the result of a transition (see: road style changes with year in TTRS).
Nite Owl wrote:The foundations are nice but do not fit in with the much used ISR New Objects. Perhaps an all-inclusive foundation NewGrf is in order.
ISR object sprites include the foundations in the overlay sprite so they don't draw the same sprites as those used in the baseset (or those that replace the baseset). Either ISR objects needs to reference the baseset sprites or include the VAST foundation graphics in its sprites. The former is probably best: it's simpler and works for any NewGRF that supplies foundation sprites.
OpenTTD: VAST - station tiles and objects | MICS - urban monorail graphical conversion | Universal Rail Type - easier train replacement
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

Sorry to dig this up. Which is the most updated version of VAST? The various threads here seem a little confusing.

It was my impression that there was a released version that was snow-aware? Maybe I dreamt that? :P
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
zero.eight
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by zero.eight »

The latest version of VAST Stations is 0.2.0 which is on BaNaNaS. It's outdated in many ways though. I want to update the graphics at some point, but it probably won't get any new features for a while.

The latest version of VAST Objects is 0.2.25 which is only attached to this post viewtopic.php?f=26&t=48763&start=40#p905659
There isn't a public snow-aware version of either, but it is planned for Objects 0.3.0 along with numerous other improvements including animation-based seasonal changes, use of the views property and zoomed sprites.
partially complete snow-awareness
partially complete snow-awareness
sno.png (395.62 KiB) Viewed 4680 times
Objects 0.3.0 is incomplete but playable. It makes no sense to sit on it for another three years until "it's done", so since the 8th August is the project's 3rd birthday, albeit two months late, whatever is ready at that point will be released as 0.3.0. It won't be backwards compatible and will require OpenTTD r25230. I'll try to do much faster updates afterwards, which should be possible because the codebase is no longer a monolithic mess.
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

Looks just fine :)) . Really looking forward to the next version of this set. With great pleasure I play with VAST :)) .
[OpenTTD] STD screenshots
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[OpenTTD] STD saved games - My finished scenarios and saves from the game
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017
arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by arikover »

Hello there !

I like this set, really beautiful! Nice work!

I have a question though. Seeing your last post (with screenshot), I noticed the sloped path going up the mountain. In game, I don't manage to build them (0.3.0 on Bananas). Are these yet implemented, or are they planned for a future release?

Another question (suggestion) : would it be possible to select either the 8bpp graphics or the 32bpp ones? I really like your 32bpp tiles, but I also like the 8bpp ones, and it would be great to be able to choose between them with a parameter.

Thank you for this amazing work, and keep going!
zero.eight
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by zero.eight »

arikover wrote:Hello there !

I like this set, really beautiful! Nice work!
Hello and thank you :D
arikover wrote: I have a question though. Seeing your last post (with screenshot), I noticed the sloped path going up the mountain. In game, I don't manage to build them (0.3.0 on Bananas). Are these yet implemented, or are they planned for a future release?
Yep, they're in 0.3.0. You need to build the Aligned Slope. It adapts to the slope if built on one of the \ or / slopes regardless of the selected view, or it looks like the selected view if built on flat land. It cannot be built on other slopes, although you can make it glitch by building on flat land and removing a corner. The Raised Slope (top left of the screenshot) always has a foundation and is always aligned along the selected view.
arikover wrote: Another question (suggestion) : would it be possible to select either the 8bpp graphics or the 32bpp ones? I really like your 32bpp tiles, but I also like the 8bpp ones, and it would be great to be able to choose between them with a parameter.
I tried this a while ago and the 32bpp sprites were always used, so I've asked it here.
arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by arikover »

It works! Thank you for your quick answer!
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

zero.eight wrote:although you can make it glitch by building on flat land and removing a corner.
i'm fairly sure there is an option to disable terraforming under objects (like the transmitter)
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

Eddi wrote:i'm fairly sure there is an option to disable terraforming under objects (like the transmitter)
Yep, there is:

Code: Select all

graphics {
		autoslope:					CB_RESULT_NO_AUTOSLOPE;
	}
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
zero.eight
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by zero.eight »

Unfortunately that doesn't work as desired when OBJ_FLAG_ANYTHING_REMOVE is set; you aren't prevented from terraforming around the object. Not sure if it's supposed to work like that.

I could just fix it by supplying additional sprites to cover up the glitches.

Return to “Graphics Development”