[OTTD] The Vactrain Set

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

kamnet

Re: [OTTD] Vacuum Tube Train (Vactrain) Set

Post by kamnet »

Andre_ wrote:Hi! Thanks for the great addition to the game! Could you please implement cargo transportation possibilities? If you don't have enough time for the graphics, please just have one generic look for the cargo trailers, but having them would be awesome!
Emperor Jake wrote:Yes, the Vactrain is limited to passengers and express cargos, and will probably remain that way. The reasoning is that in the future, something like coal (if it still exists, which it always will in OTTD) will still be transported by long and slow freight trains. In short, it's realism :twisted: However, if anyone really wants to carry the heavy cargoes, draw a cargo vactrain and I will gladly code it as an extension set. Or I might consider it when I have more time.

- Jake
lekkimsm2500
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lekkimsm2500 »

So a quick question here. what GRF pack is this? The one posted on the first page

I'd love to get my hand on the station GRF

Now im thinking about it. I'd also like to get the trucks he has

Can anyone name these? :)
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Which station grf? I see at least three.

The greyish curved roofs are NewStations. The monorail station is from OpenGFX. The one in between looks to be Japanese stations. The bit of park you see is from VAST I believe. The platforms with the yellow line may belong to anything, but I guess that's also Japanese.
lekkimsm2500
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lekkimsm2500 »

FooBar wrote:Which station grf? I see at least three.

The greyish curved roofs are NewStations. The monorail station is from OpenGFX. The one in between looks to be Japanese stations. The bit of park you see is from VAST I believe. The platforms with the yellow line may belong to anything, but I guess that's also Japanese.
Neat, thanks!

What about the trucks/vehicles?
FlameSing
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by FlameSing »

lekkimsm2500 wrote:What about the trucks/vehicles?
(e)GRVTS and Ikarus busses I believe.
Sorry for my awful English.

My modest screenies.
sss
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sss »

I like it, but only one thing,
THE FACT THAT IVE STARTED A NEW GAME!!!! AND I CANT ADD IT INTO THAT GAME!! ARG!
:evil:
but anyway, nice GRF.

SSS
Colonel32
President
President

Post by Colonel32 »

Just enter the debug mode to add the Vacuum Trains to an existing game. I did the same.

Btw, there is a discussion going on weather to make the trains available to carry other cargo as well or not. My opinion is, that this decision should be left on the player - to let him play the way he wants. I don't think it is necessary to draw all new types, just use the mail one default graphics and make it refitable to all cargo types.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Colonel32 wrote:Just enter the debug mode to add the Vacuum Trains to an existing game. I did the same.
Keep in mind that the second you enable the scenario developer mode, your game may become unstable to the point of not being playable, or being able to be shared with other users or in a multiplayer game.
Colonel32 wrote:Btw, there is a discussion going on weather to make the trains available to carry other cargo as well or not. My opinion is, that this decision should be left on the player - to let him play the way he wants. I don't think it is necessary to draw all new types, just use the mail one default graphics and make it refitable to all cargo types.
Where is this "ongoing discussion"? Not in this thread, where the author made his stance clear nearly a year ago. Although, I suppose that if one wanted, one could make their own NewGRF which modifies Emperor Jake's work and enables all cargo in his vehicles.
LordNokon
Engineer
Engineer

Post by LordNokon »

Andre_ wrote:Hi!

Thanks for the great addition to the game!

Could you please implement cargo transportation possibilities? If you don't have enough time for the graphics, please just have one generic look for the cargo trailers, but having them would be awesome!
any luck on this?
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

LordNokon wrote:any luck on this?
Your question is already answered by nobody posting about it. If it were successful someone would have posted about it and/or created a new release with the feature.
LordNokon
Engineer
Engineer

Post by LordNokon »

Alberth wrote:
LordNokon wrote:any luck on this?
Your question is already answered by nobody posting about it. If it were successful someone would have posted about it and/or created a new release with the feature.
Its been a year since the author posted about an update. I was wondering if any other person who does coding maybe by any change made there own custom cargo vehicle which could be use with the Vacuum tube train set.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I'm sure that if they had, they would have either posted it here, or in there own thread and had a pointer to it posted here.

Lots of talk from people who WANT this to change, but not enough want to actually make it happen.
LordNokon
Engineer
Engineer

Post by LordNokon »

Question I think is how much more must one beg for someone just to complete that one cargo set.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

LordNokon wrote:Question I think is how much more must one beg for someone just to complete that one cargo set.
Begging doesn't help usually.

Generally, iIf everyone waited or begged for someone to do what anyone could do, noone will do it.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

You could learn how NML works and edit the set yourself, just change the refittable cargo classes so, say, the mail van can refit to any cargo.

The source code is here: http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/vac ... y/show/src
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

LordNokon wrote:Question I think is how much more must one beg for someone just to complete that one cargo set.
An old phrase from where I come from, "You can want on one hand and [wish] on the other." :mrgreen:
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

I realise there is a high demand for this set to support all cargo types, and I wouldn't mind implementing it now. However, since I started university I haven't had much time to work on my NewGRF projects. However, I'll have lots of free time over the end of year break (November to Febuary) so you might be able to expect some progress then :)
LordNokon
Engineer
Engineer

Post by LordNokon »

Emperor Jake wrote:I realise there is a high demand for this set to support all cargo types, and I wouldn't mind implementing it now. However, since I started university I haven't had much time to work on my NewGRF projects. However, I'll have lots of free time over the end of year break (November to Febuary) so you might be able to expect some progress then :)
Thanks Emperor Jake that would be greatly appreciated :bow:
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Emperor Jake wrote:However, I'll have lots of free time over the end of year break (November to Febuary) so you might be able to expect some progress then
I hope that applies to the 2cc set too... hehehehe... :mrgreen:
Leon

Image Image Image Image
"... all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by..." - John Masefield
goldobsidian
Engineer
Engineer

Post by goldobsidian »

I love the set, its interesting, beautiful to look at, and rather fun to use. I just have a little constructive feedback.
I know you probably know this one allready but cargo cars would make this set complete and a step up from maglev in everyway.
I dont know if it was a bug with another patch but building costs for track, and running costs for engines where huge. single tile track pieces where 3.5 million and growing every year, engines running 6 million running cost a year. if this was intentional please consider lowering, Maglev engines at 2054 had just broken the 1 mill a year running cost mark depending on the engine.
Consider adding your own bridge, with no custom other modded bridges, the highest speed bridge I have is 380 MPH, compaired to the 1500MPH of the slowest engine offered, its actually more effecent speed and time wise to build around lakes and rivers or level them, then to build a bridge.
Other then these things which arent a true problem just nitpicking on my part, I love the mod and the idea, and from what iv seen your off to a awesome start and a memorable mod.

Return to “Graphics Releases”