Hover Vehicles v1

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Hazzard
Engineer
Engineer

Hover Vehicles v1

Post by Hazzard »

Hover Vehicles
Version 1 (05/31/12)

Hover vehicles is a small newGRF created to add a few futuristic hovering vehicles to OpenTTD. It is inspired by the Hover Bus newGRF by Roujin. The GRF currently includes one bus and five trucks.

Download:
Note: This newGRF could eat your hamster; use at your own risk.
hoverv_v1.tar
(82.5 KiB) Downloaded 808 times
You can also download this via the in-game online content.

Installation:
Download the hoverv.tar file and move it to your /openttd/newgrf folder.

Compatability:
This newGRF has only been tested in OpenTTD, but it should work for TTDPatch.

Vehicles:
HZ Hover Bus (2075)
HZ Flatbed Hover Truck (2079)
HZ Hopper Hover Truck (2081)
HZ Hover Tanker (2083)
HZ Hi-Sec Hover Truck (2085)
HZ Refrigerated Hover Truck (2087)

Copyright:
See included license.txt or view the license in-game.

The vehicle sprites used in this newGRF, and the inspiration for this newGRF is from the "Hover Bus" newGRF by Roujin (Manuel Wolf).
The cargo sprites used in this newGRF are based on sprites from the "Extended Generic Road Vehicle and Tram Set" (eGRVTS) by Zephyris (Richard Wheeler).
Following the conditions of the license of eGRVTS, and Hover Bus, and with permission from their respective creators, this newGRF (Hover Vehicles) is released under the GPLv2 licence.
Use and distribute freely crediting me, Hazzard (Mingwei Samuel), Roujin (Manuel Wolf), and Zephyris (Richard Wheeler),
as authors with a link to my Hover Vehicles thread (http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=61161), Roujin's Hover Bus thread (http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=41363), and Zephyris' eGrvts thread (http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=33415).
Modifications and adaptations of this newGRF can be made so long as they credit Hazzard (me), Roujin, and Zephyris as original authors,
and follow all terms of the GPLv2 license.
hoverv_source.zip
(38.01 KiB) Downloaded 504 times
Last edited by Hazzard on 31 May 2012 23:06, edited 2 times in total.
thphwh
Director
Director

Re: Hover Vehicles v1

Post by thphwh »

Wow, this looks amazing. Well done. Will you make this into a full roadset or just keep it like this?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

*run off to create KAMNET'S HOVER CONVERSION EMPORIUM*
"For $4999 Kamnet can make your ride fly!"

Great idea!
Hazzard
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Hazzard »

thphwh wrote:Wow, this looks amazing. Well done. Will you make this into a full roadset or just keep it like this?
Thanks! I will probably keep it as is. These vehicles are already close to the max limits; it would be hard to make a diverse set.
Hazzard
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Hazzard »

It seems there is a bug that removes all airplanes from the game. I am not sure what is causing this. Any help will be appreciated.

Hazzard
Hazzard
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Hazzard »

Nevermind, my settings were incorrect.
DeletedUser17
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DeletedUser17 »

Definitely gonna download. Quality work!
nicfer
Director
Director

Post by nicfer »

Probably hard even when new roadtypes specs are implemented, and very OP for sure, but shouldn't them be able to travel over non-road tiles like grass, water or rails, given they're hovering? But since that's not considering 'flying', they can't go through 'tall' constructions like houses, rail stations, airports, etc. Maybe they should be coded as special 'aircrafts' that don't pathfind thru said buildings.

Not too serious, but it'd be best to explain how can them 'hover' over asphalt but not over grass or water.
Sorry for my english I am argentinian
TTO don't crashes in Windows XP; XP crashes TTO

Formerly known as UnderBuilder.

MyMiniCity
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

nicfer wrote:Not too serious, but it'd be best to explain how can them 'hover' over asphalt but not over grass or water.
Right-of-way issues. You can't just drive over an empty field if you don't know whose property it is; most folk wouldn't take too kindly to a hoverbus flying over their acreage :wink:.
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Current theorized hovering vehicles would be similar to maglev, there would be an electrical current running underneath the surface of where the vehicles should be. I've seen mock-up drawings where you replace lanes and lanes of asphalt with grass. If the vehicle deviates from the circuit underneath it, it safely comes down on the turf.
nicfer
Director
Director

Post by nicfer »

I was hoping that response. Not a good question at all.

But now kamnet mentions that the road would need magnets under the road, should the vehicles require a special roadtype then? That will require new roadtypes to be implemented however, so no worries until at least one year past.

MyMiniCity
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

nicfer wrote:But now kamnet mentions that the road would need magnets under the road, should the vehicles require a special roadtype then? That will require new roadtypes to be implemented however, so no worries until at least one year past.
Why can't you put the electrical field under asphalt? :-) I don't see why you couldn't code this as a separate RoadType with it's own special vehicle and roads, no different than what's currently done with trams. Or, in 2070 just switch all your vehicles over to hover, maybe use a road replacement set to make some new less-road-like driving surface and there ya go. But, we're babbling now...
nicfer
Director
Director

Post by nicfer »

Sorry, I didn't explained it completely. I wanted to say that the 'special roadtypes' are just regular roads with the special 'electrical fields' running underneath, but that'll just make drawing graphics for those difficult. Just imply that after invention of the vehicles all roads adquire magically the electronics there. Problem solved.

MyMiniCity
Beul
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Beul »

Well is stead of saying anything about the (im)possibilities of hover vehicles and road types I will say: Like what I see :bow:

One sugestion though: maybe a line of dark pixels at the bottom will look like some kind of shadow and would increase the 'hovering'effect?
Digitals
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Digitals »

That's good, what's done something futuristic and again in agreement with the Maglev, but I find that the dates appear or vehicles are a little too late ... For once I played a great part I'd put a GRF in this GRF,they have a very fast and powerfull train which appeared after 2050 i think... (maglev of course) and bang my game end in 2050, following a victory (The best company that reaches 2050 or something) ... But it is a great idea :).

Sorry for the inconsistencies of my messages,but im French
JustMoreMemes
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JustMoreMemes »

I love the idea of this mod but my games never extend beyond 2050, so I've been running this NewGRF for years without ever seeing the vehicles. Today I finally dusted off my NewGRF skills to change the starting dates. Now everything unlocks in 2025 (plus 1-2 years) instead of a range between 2085 and 2090.

It's not as balanced, but I don't mind, I like how the game goes all futuristic so early. 8)

If I understand the license right, this is fine under GPL2, but I probably won't put it on Bananas or anything unless I make further additions to the mod.
Attachments
earlyhoverv.grf
Hover Vehicles but everything is unlocked in 2025 instead of 2090
(58.42 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
Revenge_of_KioTheDev
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Revenge_of_KioTheDev »

JustMoreMemes wrote: 03 Aug 2023 21:28 I love the idea of this mod but my games never extend beyond 2050, so I've been running this NewGRF for years without ever seeing the vehicles. Today I finally dusted off my NewGRF skills to change the starting dates. Now everything unlocks in 2025 (plus 1-2 years) instead of a range between 2085 and 2090.

It's not as balanced, but I don't mind, I like how the game goes all futuristic so early. 8)

If I understand the license right, this is fine under GPL2, but I probably won't put it on Bananas or anything unless I make further additions to the mod.
is there nml source code or is only nfo?

Return to “Graphics Releases”