WSF Ferry Set [WIP]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Re: WSF Ferry Set [WIP]

Post by Andrew350 »

Good news and bad news today. I've been working on the third ship for a few days now, and I've finally got a solid picture of it (see below). It's only the one view so far, since I've been busy, but I'm working on the rest. They should go slightly faster now that I have a base to draw the other views ;)

Bad news is, I may be moving very soon (within the week), and will likely lose my permanent computer, which means basically no way to continue this project :( Maybe I can get some bits done here and there, but most likely for the time being progress will be next to zero. That is, unless I can find a solution to that situation. Many other things in life are more important right now though, so no guarantees.

So, yeah, it's kind of sudden, and I don't really have much choice. But, I may still get a few days after work and such to make some headway until then, but we'll see. I'm not calling it quits just yet... :twisted:
sstacoma.png
sstacoma.png (5.24 KiB) Viewed 5312 times
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

You could just attach all of your current project files on here in a zip folder and then download them again later on your new machine, or offer the project to someone else to pick-up? These ships are just too good to leave like this :) .
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Oh, I've got everything on a flash drive just in case, so no problems there ;) Once things are down to the wire and for sure going to happen, I'll archive everything here on the forum for download. It'll all be GPL too, so if things got real bad and I couldn't continue at all, then someone else could pick it up at will.

I've got a few days left though, so I'll post any updates as they come in :)
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Okay, the move is happening tomorrow (well, today technically), so I'm posting everything on here just in case. I haven't gotten anything done in the last few days really, so nothing new. I will have a computer to continue with however, so if all goes well I can keep chugging along on some new sprites once the move is done. :)

Although, it takes a LONG time to draw these ships, so with the weather getting nicer etc., I wouldn't expect anymore 1-day ships anytime soon ;) I'm too distracted with tracing old railroad routes right now...

So, yeah, in case anyone wants the source stuff, it should all be in here. :)
Attachments
wsfferryset.zip
(35.99 KiB) Downloaded 227 times
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

After a very long and tiresome 2 weeks, I'm back in the mood for drawing :) I've been reworking my first two sprites to correct the lighting mistake, and working a little more on the 'Tacoma' ship.

I've also roughed in a new ferry, bonus points for you if you know what it is ;)
ship4rough.png
ship4rough.png (1.67 KiB) Viewed 5064 times
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

The new NASA-spaceshuttle carrier? (because of cutbacks they had to let the Boeing go and now use ferries to carry the Spaceshuttles) ;-)

Joking aside, nice to see that you are back on the drawingboard!
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Quast65 wrote:The new NASA-spaceshuttle carrier? (because of cutbacks they had to let the Boeing go and now use ferries to carry the Spaceshuttles) ;-)

Joking aside, nice to see that you are back on the drawingboard!
Haha, that reminded me of another time a while back when I had this crazy idea of transporting helicopters by train:
ottd base3.png
(661.25 KiB) Downloaded 2 times

Anyway, the actual answer is the Kalakala, not that I actually expected anyone here to get it. ;) Speaking of which, I'm having a little trouble deciding how I should shade it. Currently it is very minimal, to try and keep the flat streamlined look. The real ferry was painted silver and was very smooth, which makes it very shiny (just look at some photos of it), so it should look a little different from most other vehicles in the game. I'm unsure that the way I've been shading the ferries will be suitable for the Kalakala, so I was wondering if anyone might have some input on this. :) Keep it similar to this, or just stick to the usual?
Kalakala1.png
Kalakala1.png (1.89 KiB) Viewed 4939 times
Dave

Post by Dave »

This is all very nice Andrew, well done.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Any idea why this wouldn't load in the latest ChillCore Patch Pack? I'm getting an error that this set isn't compatible.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Probably because it requires a newer version than Chill's Patchpack uses, although I don't really see why. I don't think I've used any 1.2.0-only features yet. At any rate, pretty soon I should have an update ready, and I'll make sure to include a version check to disable itself, since it will be using 1.2 features and won't work anyway (unfortunately).
Michi_cc
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Michi_cc »

Andrew350 wrote:I don't think I've used any 1.2.0-only features yet.
Are you using GRF version 8 or container version 2? (You do if you use NML nightlies instead of 0.2) Both are 1.2.0+ only.

-- Michael Lutz
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Yes, I guess that would be it then, thanks for letting me know :)
Michi_cc
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Michi_cc »

Well, it is mentioned first thing in the manual: http://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/NM ... troduction

-- Michael Lutz
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Sorry, it's easy for me to miss a one-line technical note like that in the scope of everything. I'm still trying to absorb it all, so I'm a little slow ;)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Michi_cc wrote:
Andrew350 wrote:I don't think I've used any 1.2.0-only features yet.
Are you using GRF version 8 or container version 2? (You do if you use NML nightlies instead of 0.2) Both are 1.2.0+ only.
Took a peek under the hood, yep it's using GRF v8. If you change it to GRF v7, it loads in CPP and appears to run fine, I haven't thoroughly tested that, however.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Update!

I've finished drawing the Tacoma ship, and the Rhododendron now looks MUCH better with the lighting corrected. The difference is like night and day ;) I've actually been done with that for almost a month now, what's really held me up is getting another last-minute idea ready. A Submarine :D I know it doesn't exactly fit with the set, but I had the idea and had to do it, and I think it turned out great. Plus it gave me a reason to learn some more code stuff. It's only activated through a parameter, and isn't necessarily meant for normal games, but what the heck :P Hopefully someone will have fun with it.

I haven't played with this very much, so if anyone happens to find any issues please let me know. Here's the ships included so far:
currentset.png
currentset.png (44.63 KiB) Viewed 4478 times
And of course the working GRF and the source (This should now also disable itself if trying to use it with anything less than 1.2.0):
Attachments
wsfferryset.grf
(32.79 KiB) Downloaded 223 times
wsfferryset 7-3-2012.zip
(56.95 KiB) Downloaded 192 times
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

Andrew350 wrote:A Submarine
Awesome :bow: Does it submerge when moving/loaded? That would be even more awesome... :P

The other ferries are amazing too, I'll stick them in my next game :D
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

The ferries are great!

And the sub is really fun! Can finally build the Den Helder Sub base in my Dutch games ;-) Is it possible however to have different graphics when it moves through rivers? It would be cool if it is half submerged in rivers and not fully submerged as rivers are not as deep as oceans.

Frigates, minesweepers and battleships would be nice too....
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

I would make the submarine bit more in water... if You understand what I mean. At the moment the submarine lower side is dark in / view that means its lower roundish shape is seen, but normally it isn't so (see picture). I would leave the end as is but make it bit taller and lower it into water two or 3 pixels or recolor so that it looks like on the picture.
But very very nice set You got there :)

Return to “Graphics Development”