Forgotten NewGRFs - FEATURED 05/31/2015 - London Underground

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Digitals
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Forgotten NewGRFs - FEATURED 7/1/2012: Zimmlock's Prison

Post by Digitals »

Very nice !

I like the new GRF with new buildings, my list of GRF will still grow :)

Thank :D

Sorry for the inconsistencies of my messages,but im French
Simons Mith
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Simons Mith »

We don't tend to put prisons in towns in England these days; they're just as likely to be out in the middle of nowhere. Is there a way to replace, say 1% of radio transmitters with one of these?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Simons Mith wrote:We don't tend to put prisons in towns in England these days; they're just as likely to be out in the middle of nowhere. Is there a way to replace, say 1% of radio transmitters with one of these?
I doubt it, since the radio tower is only a 1x1 tile.
Lukenwolf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lukenwolf »

Another question is, if some of the authors of the "forgotten" NewGRF's are still around and could maybe give their permission for someone else to finish or upgrade their unfinished products.
The thing that so far keeps me from dabbling with GRF coding is, that I can't draw a sprite if my life depends on it. I've got no problems wading through heaps of code, but give me a paint program and I'm as useless as a one-legged man at an arse-kicking contest :oops: Most of these have the sprites already done, so they could be upgraded to newer GRF specs.
It's a shame that all these great ideas are going to waste. :cry:
Beer is not the answer. It's the question, and the answer is YES.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Lukenwolf wrote:Another question is, if some of the authors of the "forgotten" NewGRF's are still around and could maybe give their permission for someone else to finish or upgrade their unfinished products.
The thing that so far keeps me from dabbling with GRF coding is, that I can't draw a sprite if my life depends on it. I've got no problems wading through heaps of code, but give me a paint program and I'm as useless as a one-legged man at an arse-kicking contest :oops: Most of these have the sprites already done, so they could be upgraded to newer GRF specs.
It's a shame that all these great ideas are going to waste. :cry:
Generally if I come across a NewGRF or a bunch of sprites which appear to be abandoned, I attempt to contact the author to see if they will directly give their permission to have their work re-licensed under GPL v2 so that others can build upon it. Most of the time I actually get a reply and an agreement to re-release them.
Michi_cc
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Michi_cc »

Lukenwolf wrote:It's a shame that all these great ideas are going to waste. :cry:
Indeed, and in fact there's more than one thread in the development forum where a lot of work was apparently done and shown which ends in "xxx went away".

So folks, always push for public development with an appropriate, open license (e.g. GPL, or some of the CC ones), or it will just repeat over and over again.

-- Michael Lutz
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I'm sure George still has it, and I'm pretty sure George is not ever going to release it here, even if the author nor his other collaborator ever finished their work.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

That castle's in ECS Vectors: http://www.tt-wiki.net/wiki/ECSTVTCKarlstein
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
MrZombie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MrZombie »

Nice to see some of the forgotten GRFs, I will be sure to check this thread every once and awhile.
You just lost The Game.
Jacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Jacko »

It seems to be a bit of a forgotten thread too :|
"O2 is for noobs, real people breath O3" ~ said sometime by Me

All comments from me may or may not be true and do not take them word-for-word

Feel Free to join me and some other people in The Nations Game - its actually quite fun.

1000th Post at Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:43 am
2000th post at Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:22 am
Wile E. Coyote
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

Big dig, but I've never spotted this thread before.

I saw there was interest for car factory chain in the past. If people are still interested in that grf, of course you can use graphics and of course credit authors. I did some of them, and I think Siema and George also did some.
Serbian rail set with Serbian scenario (ECS, PBI, FIRS and Tourist set compatible) Website | Topic and download | Latest version: 03.06.2015.
Serbian tram set Tracking table | TTD Patch tram set Latest version: 17.06.2015. | Open TTD Remix Latest version: 11.07.2015.
WIN-DOS GRF Converter Topic and download | Version 0.2.1: 09.01.2005.

Runner-up in "Best avatar Forums award" for years 2006 and 2010!
marqjc
Engineer
Engineer

Post by marqjc »

[quote="kamnet"]ZIMMLOCK'S PRISON

... stumble over Zimmlock's prison. This was the sprite that would kick of what would become Total Town Replacement Set....building replacement, as a random replacement for the stadium, or replace all stadiums.

Is very good and I already joined the game :)

kamnet

Forgotten NewGRFs - FEATURED 11/20/2014 - Kadel's Buildings

Post by kamnet »

I've not found a lot of old things in quite awhile, but here's one that's off the beaten path. For this you have to stray away from the TT-F community and over to our brothers and sisters on Tycoonez.Com:munity.

There on the forums you will find Kadlovy Paintings, which forum member Kadel started drawing in 2008. Initially these were a few houses, and then a few stations. It looks as though these may have been donated to the CS Town Set and Station Set projects.

More uniquely, though, were a pair of buildings that were eventually released as a NewGRF. The first is the Libeňsky Lighthouse building in Prague.

As you can see from this screenshot, it blends in well with some of the modern era buildings from Total Town Replacement Set.

Even more unique, however, is Kadel's drawing of the proposed Czech National Library from 2007. This is very unique because the winning architect designed it to look like a giant mound of slime mold. This unique design drew a lot of praise and criticism from architects, politicians and many others. Kadel managed to capture the spirit of it and include it.

You can find the released NewGRF on page five of the discussion topic, along with a list of parameters for the Lighthouse building. It was later reported that the Library was not being displayed, and unfortunately it appears that Kadel stopped contributing to the community in 2009. Kadel also donated this work to the CS Town Set, but it appears that this set was never finished due to a myriad of issues, and its work is currently idle. Still, you have this one NewGRF that you can now add to your list. Out of respect to the Tycoonez community, please don't jump over there and start new discussions on this, as the author is no longer around to support it. The author, however, did leave behind their NFO and sprites, but no license. One may presume to at least use this for your own personal use.
Marshy
Director
Director

Re: Forgotten NewGRFs - FEATURED 11/20/2014 - Kadel's Buildi

Post by Marshy »

Found anymore older GRFs recently Kamnet?
kamnet

Re: Forgotten NewGRFs - FEATURED 05/31/2015 - London Undergr

Post by kamnet »

Today we're taking a trip not to a finished but forgotten NewGRF, but a promising one that just never saw the light of day. TFL Set . It's quite a short story really, in November 2004 it was quietly announced but several people immediately started contributing graphics, some from one of the BR Sets, some from an S-Bahn set, and some original graphics. The set fell through, though, due to a lack of coding, and after the lead coder announced he had lost everything and was giving up, the set was dead by March 2005.

Oh well, what could have been.
kamnet

Forgotten NewGRFs - FEATURED 5/31/15 - Lachie's SBA Bus/Tram

Post by kamnet »

And to follow that up, here's Lachie's SBA Bus/Tram Set for transport in Sydney, Australia. He and a few others developed a few graphics, but likewise it also stalled out. Looks nice, though!
Coxx
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Forgotten NewGRFs - FEATURED 05/31/2015 - London Undergr

Post by Coxx »

Return to “Graphics Releases”