Simutrans

Discuss the free TT-like game Simutrans.
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Simutrans

Post by Wasila »

Hey,

I've noticed this for a while, but I comment made in the dev section about Simutrans being the 'dark side' finally motivated me to ask this. What's with all the Simutrans hate? I've never tried it, so I have no idea :).

Thanks,
Wasila
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Simutrans

Post by Rubidium »

What hate? Where? I only see one person, who's new on this forum say it this year. That doesn't seem like massive hatred or something.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

"Come to the Dark Side! We have Cookies!! "

That comment was not meant as something negative.
The poster meant that he misses cargodist (or something alike) in OpenTTD.

I do not recall seeing negative comments about Simutrans anywhere. ;)
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

Simutrans is perfectly fine. I personally prefer OTTD because it is far closer to Transport Tycoon, the game I know, love, and have logged more hours playing than any other video game by a massive margin (combining original, TTDPatch, and OTTD forms, anyway). But Simutrans is grand, especially now that it's open source, and has an active community and several graphics-makers. :)
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

Huh, I though I recalled people dismissing comparisons with Simutrans. Must've imagined it.

I better go check it out now :).

EDIT: How about Locomotion? Maybe that's what I meant :?
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Perhaps you are confused with IRC last week where some guy asked about simutrans, and expected us to be very negative, but we weren't?
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Simutrans isn't bad, it's just far behind OpenTTD. That's how I see it.

Locomotion, well... It's completely different from Simutrans and OpenTTD - especially graphics wise. You can get a whole lot more realistic there, with all those details and actual rail curves (plus Plastikman has made like 10000% more train mods than all OpenTTD grf's combined). OpenTTD is more about gameplay and freedom. There are certainly way more ways to play OpenTTD than Locomotion.

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
cmoiromain
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by cmoiromain »

I don't recall any hate between the two. Maybe there have been a couple of discussions about which one is better than the other ("we have better gameplay !", "we have rail above roads !", "we have multiplayer !"...) etc, which never end up anywhere because the fact is, the games are totally different. To be honest, I think there has been more hatred between openttd and ttd patch communities (at some point in the past, when ttd patch still had many more features than openttd) than between simutrans and any other.
I am little, ugly, and nasty. How do you do?
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

cmoiromain wrote: which never end up anywhere because the fact is, the games are totally different.
^^^ This.

One two three words ... :mrgreen:
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
prissi
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by prissi »

Actually, even in my time as simutrans head coder (and before my children were born ;) ), I developed the first destination patch (which in principle was the same approach TTDpatch now uses, imho). There are user of both here. (However, the simutrans activities go on at another forum, thus each activites are well hidden from each other.)

About "lagging behind": Simutrans way older, first releases are from 1999. But the direction is very different, with fixed routing of vehicles, destinations, powerline, and a more balanced gameplay with more than 13 different (size) graphic sets with more house than all grfs together ... But forget about this: both games have nice feature, both have different foci, and both communities are motivated in part from features of the other games. Sometimes, like the comic graphics, things are ported either way.

(Open)TTD is way more famous, since it was the first as a commercial game. Thus (Open)TTD fame to Simutrans fame is about 10:1 according to google ranking. However, in certain countries (Brazil, Japan, Czech) Simutrans is 100:1 versus (Open)TTD, while OpenTTD is strongest in britain and germany is a tie. This was maybe due to localisation or active communities there.
I like to look at great maps and see how things flow. A little like a finished model railway, but it is evolving and actually never finished. http://www.simutrans.com
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Well, from my personal experience OpenTTD is more popular than Simutrans in mid eu - actually, I've never met a single person with previous knowledge of Simutrans, while when I mention OpenTTD, some people cheer up (hey, it's that train game!), though finding fans of either game is pretty hard.

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
Varkaleas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Varkaleas »

TTD was quite a big selling and famous game, so (Open)TTD is a well known name among many, even if they didn't play themselves. Also Simutrans came later, TTD and its predecessors had been around since years, and therefore the oldtimers of the genre all started playing with TTD. So I think it's just natural that TTD is far better and more widely known than Simutrans.

I suspect that another name but "Simutrans" also could help to advertise it. I think it doesn't really speak "Transport Simulation" to many people, but I might be wrong there.
Working on a Simutrans fork with a nicer UI: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ironsimu/
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

Varkaleas wrote: I suspect that another name but "Simutrans" also could help to advertise it. I think it doesn't really speak "Transport Simulation" to many people, but I might be wrong there.
"Simu" - short for 'simulation'
"Trans" - short for 'transportation'

How does this not indicate it is a transportation simulator? :|
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
Varkaleas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Varkaleas »

I don't know. But I saw comments on the internet where people didn't get it. But maybe they were just trolling.
Working on a Simutrans fork with a nicer UI: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ironsimu/
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Likely the problem is that each paksets doesn't developed in the same speed... some are lagging behind, The only compatible Paksets for latest release is the Pak 64 normal....

Just a suggestion, how about that each stable version is only released when all paksets are ready for ? (backward with OTTD - Newer NewGRF needs newer version)
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Dwachs
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Dwachs »

Yoursnotmine wrote:Likely the problem is that each paksets doesn't developed in the same speed... some are lagging behind, The only compatible Paksets for latest release is the Pak 64 normal....

Just a suggestion, how about that each stable version is only released when all paksets are ready for ? (backward with OTTD - Newer NewGRF needs newer version)
Usually there is no need to update the pakset, everything is backward compatible. An update is only necessary if the pakset in question wants to make use of new features.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

But why does in most Paksets (Apart from Pak64) the installer say that they are old pak, and saved in file old pak, also they can't be used (The .exe says no pak loaded)
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。

Return to “Simutrans”