OpenGFX+ Trains development thread

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

V453000 :)
President
President

Re: OpenGFX+ Trains development and translations thread

Post by V453000 :) »

lawton27 wrote:For maglev why not have some kind of magnetic coupler? Perhaps it could look like a cylinder, implying you have a superconducting coil / electromagnet within?
I like that idea. :idea:
ImageImageImage
Michi_cc
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Michi_cc »

V453000 :) wrote:
lawton27 wrote:For maglev why not have some kind of magnetic coupler? Perhaps it could look like a cylinder, implying you have a superconducting coil / electromagnet within?
I like that idea. :idea:
If you strive for something realistic :twisted: , the coupler doesn't matter at all, because you wouldn't see it anyway. For maglev speeds (600+ km/h), even small gaps between wagons would kill aerodynamics. Cargo graphics are just as easy, everything is covered (The coal in an open wagon at 600 km/h will do many things, but "staying in place" is not included in them 8) ).

-- Michael Lutz
Xotic750
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Xotic750 »

As the nightly build failed due to lack of space on the server last night, I have uploaded a manual nightly on the backup server.

OpenGFX+ Trains Nightly Build 572
ZxBiohazardZx
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ZxBiohazardZx »

with that much magnetic force to maintain the trains "floating" you cannot use it for coupling as well, you will have to use either a mechanical interlock system or leave it completely (accelleration & decelleration are based on activation/deactivation of the magnets, so if you have a smart computer, both units can slow/accellerate simultaniously making it a seamless non-connected train?
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

ZxBiohazardZx wrote:with that much magnetic force to maintain the trains "floating" you cannot use it for coupling as well
Yes you can, 2 magnetic fields simply add together giving a combined effect (ref superposition principle).
ZxBiohazardZx wrote: so if you have a smart computer, both units can slow/accellerate simultaniously making it a seamless non-connected train?
This however I also agree with, perhaps it would be best to have to coaches hug together so tightly that either this is implied or that the coupler cannot be seen ..
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

I rather like the idea of having coupler-less maglevs with computers controlling the speed to keep them together, though the cars would still probably need some kind of cowl around the ends to keep them aero dynamic. Also, for irregular shaped cargos like tanks, why not make them more square-ish, kinda like how they have tanks inside a container sized frame (aka Tanktainers)
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
MAG101
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MAG101 »

Nice 32bmp for NewGFX+

1.Spinter got a Center doors in middle the middle passenger car than mk1 dmu 101 trailer car
Real 150 got center door in middle carriage prototypes Class 150 and Class 150 with 150/2 driving carriage
since first class 150s were built as 3 cars

2. is All 32bmp trains going be in 32BMP baseset?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

MAG101 wrote:2. is All 32bmp trains going be in 32BMP baseset?
As far as that's feasible: yes, they'll be integrated in OpenGFX. A NewGRF has far more freedom and possibilities though; thus this set will contain many more sprites (e.g. wrt extended cargo support or dedicated looks of wagsons for MU).
Xotic750
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Xotic750 »

We have had many updates to existing graphics, improved and added details. The monorail wagons were updated with the changed coupling for a visual difference. Maglev wagons are currently using the monorail wagon sprites until I get around to drawing something visually different. Options were added to enable and disable steamer tenders. Now we have the first look at the new Kirby-Paul steamer.
Attachments
kirby_paul.png
kirby_paul.png (105.18 KiB) Viewed 3831 times
Xotic750
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Xotic750 »

And here we have the SH8P hot off the render :)
Attachments
sh8p.png
sh8p.png (118.51 KiB) Viewed 3754 times
Xotic750
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Xotic750 »

As the automatic nightly build has not happened for a few days, I have made a manual build of Revision 646 which is located on the backup repository server.
Fanda666
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Fanda666 »

Excellent graphics! Do you will only make the graphics of trains or your plans for something else? (sorry for my bad english :oops: )
Xotic750
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Xotic750 »

Fanda666 wrote:Excellent graphics! Do you will only make the graphics of trains or your plans for something else? (sorry for my bad english :oops: )
Thanks.

I haven't made any plans other than to finish this set.
Xotic750
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Xotic750 »

New for tonight's build (all going well) we have the Chaney "Jubilee" and the Willis "2-8-0". If the automatic build fails then I will perform a manual build and load it to the backup repository as before. :)
Attachments
Chaney &quot;Jubilee&quot;
Chaney "Jubilee"
chaney.png (115.68 KiB) Viewed 3627 times
Willis &quot;2-8-0&quot;
Willis "2-8-0"
willis.png (117.85 KiB) Viewed 3627 times
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

Since the "Arctic" represents Canada or the US, and the "Subtropic" areas also used similar engines, I think the 2-8-0 should look more American. Example:
Of course, full black wouldn't be the best idea, but that's up to you. I do like your work so far.
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
Xotic750
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Xotic750 »

oberhümer wrote:Since the "Arctic" represents Canada or the US, and the "Subtropic" areas also used similar engines, I think the 2-8-0 should look more American. Example:
Of course, full black wouldn't be the best idea, but that's up to you. I do like your work so far.
I think that looks more like one of the trains for Toyland. :)

Image Ploddyphut Choo-Choo

This is the list of original trains

You can see that the original graphics does not look Canadian or US.

So I choose to use The Stanier O6 (8F) 2-8-0s that were linked to from the wiki page.
Xotic750
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Xotic750 »

To give you an idea of how the steamers look in game here is a cropped shot of the 4 temperate trains.
Attachments
Suningpool Transport, 26th Jul 1961.png
Suningpool Transport, 26th Jul 1961.png (51.4 KiB) Viewed 3592 times
Xotic750
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Xotic750 »

Seems the automated nightly failed to build again, so I have uploaded a manual Build 656 to the backup repository server.
Xotic750
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Xotic750 »

For those of you that like Toyland, I have done a little work on tank and bulk wagon products; you should now have Candy Floss, Raw Sugar and Cola available in 32bpp.

Here is a sample of the cola sprites ;)
Attachments
Empty cola tanks
Empty cola tanks
cola_empty.png (103.66 KiB) Viewed 3513 times
Full cola tanks
Full cola tanks
cola.png (115.99 KiB) Viewed 3513 times

Return to “Graphics Development”