TaI - introducing the scrabble board

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: TaI - introducing the scrabble board

Post by DanMacK »

Sweet!

I love it! Can't wait to see these in my game ;)
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

i agree, that annoys me as well. the road configuration should only be read on construction time, and then stored somewhere (animation frame?) for future reference.
keoz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by keoz »

Pikka: thank you for this great and excellent work.

I have a question: could there be any problem in using this set together with another townGRF like TTRS ? I just tried and so far, seems to work.
Patch - Let's timetable depot waiting time with the Wait in depot patch.
GameScript - Searching a new way to make your cities growing ? Try the Renewed City Growth GameScript.
My screenshots thread.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

keoz wrote:Pikka: thank you for this great and excellent work.

I have a question: could there be any problem in using this set together with another townGRF like TTRS ? I just tried and so far, seems to work.
TaI attempts to limit the growth of towns by withholding buildings when the town reaches a certain size. If you use another set, the town will just use the other set's buildings once it reaches TaI's limit.

This set could really do with an updated release, eh? :)
keoz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by keoz »

TaI attempts to limit the growth of towns by withholding buildings when the town reaches a certain size. If you use another set, the town will just use the other set's buildings once it reaches TaI's limit.
Ok. Thank you for the answer. That's not an issue for me, I use your set together with TTRS mostly to decrease the density of the cities/introduce more diversity.
PikkaBird wrote:This set could really do with an updated release, eh? :)
Well, considering the great quality of all your works, I'll obviously not say "no" :D
GameScript - Searching a new way to make your cities growing ? Try the Renewed City Growth GameScript.
My screenshots thread.
bokkie
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by bokkie »

PikkaBird wrote:This set could really do with an updated release, eh? :)
Hear, hear!
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

A little progress, but still plenty to do - victorian slums, country estates, modern/futuristic houses...
Attachments
170 years of animated progress (1850-2020), with a single train used to promote growth.
170 years of animated progress (1850-2020), with a single train used to promote growth.
TaI_170.gif (1.36 MiB) Viewed 4968 times
TaI_170.png
A wider view of the city in 2020. Note all the big buildings are in the middle, where they belong. ;)
(475.93 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
The town at the other end of the line.  This is not a city and has not grown anywhere near as big, although it has its own little business district with office buildings.
The town at the other end of the line. This is not a city and has not grown anywhere near as big, although it has its own little business district with office buildings.
TaI_1702.png (167.72 KiB) Viewed 748 times
keoz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by keoz »

Interesting.

Let me understand: the only way you can control town "growth" (and size), is not by limiting the amount of houses (tiles with houses), but only by defining the style of house that can be built in a tile ?
My screenshots thread.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

keoz wrote:Interesting.

Let me understand: the only way you can control town "growth" (and size), is not by limiting the amount of houses (tiles with houses), but only by defining the style of house that can be built in a tile ?
You can prevent the town building any houses, but - as discussed previously in this thread - the town will end up building big empty road networks instead. So instead, when the town reaches its limit, I have it build a fake "house" which looks like a rough ground tile, and which removes itself as soon as it is built.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Now with Pub-be-gone®, a new calculation to stop the outskirts of large towns being overrun with light commercial buildings (currently, country pubs and petrol stations).
Attachments
pub-be-gone.png
pub-be-gone.png (11.58 KiB) Viewed 4915 times
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

i m really glad to see things move on this set ! I m really excited to see the outcome of your work mr Pikka ! The screenies are tasty :D

Can we expect the city hall bulding you were planning initially ?

also would it be anyhow possible to see what kind of towns we are building in the scenario editor ? i remember creating a scenario with your newgrf were i had to label cities name with their max pop possible at a certain date, this was made so i can know what kind of town is coming next(by counting down with the pattern you gave earlier in the thread)... and also to let player know from the begining and plan their network accordingly.

and a small suggestion, what about a parameter to disallow all the tall and urban building to be built to make for example a totally rural looking scenario? or to allow them only after cities reached a certain size (like in the japan set). This should/would not break your feature of limiting city size, but could give more flexibility to players on the kind of scenario they want to play ;)

thanks for all your work, and looking forward your next release ;)
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

A new version of the set has hit Bananas, along with a beta of TaI Industries (which is little more than PBI renamed, for the moment). :)
romazoon wrote:also would it be anyhow possible to see what kind of towns we are building in the scenario editor?
TaI now reads and respects the OpenTTD "city" flag; only and all OpenTTD "cities" will also be TaI "cities". :) As for the city/town/village halls... well, eventually (tm).
ziond
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ziond »

PikkaBird wrote:A new version of the set has hit Bananas, along with a beta of TaI Industries (which is little more than PBI renamed, for the moment). :)
Thanks for those awesome sets :)
PBI (and brick chain ofcourse) is still one of the most used industry set by me mostly because of stockpile and secondary_industries_built_near_town features :wink:
By the way is there any chance in future to fix the bug mentioned here?
Dave

Post by Dave »

Request: I trust you will be removing the football stadium before 1863... and maybe even some stepped versions through history!? :shock:

In Pikka we trust... I know you'll get this right. UKRS has been screaming for era-specific scenery for years. A combination of that and no reserved tracks and my screens might actually be come half-way respectable dear ;)
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Dave W wrote:Request: I trust you will be removing the football stadium before 1863... and maybe even some stepped versions through history!? :shock:
Oh, that's definitely on the to-do list. You may have noticed that the football stadium is a "Park"; it's just that that's the only graphic that exists for the 2x2 park so far.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

For those who have mentioned a complementary GS, it might be worth to mention which role a GS can play:
  • increase/reduce growth rate
  • put restrictions on growth based on eg. cargo delivery
However, the GS can only read the city flag. It cannot read the type of which of the 6 TAI town types a town belongs to. Unless some property that is exposed both via NewGRF spec and GS API is abused to communicate this fact.

If GRFs can affect the noise limit, that might be a candidate to have a relation between population and noise limit that is different for each of the 6 town types in a way that the GS can use noise limit + town size + city flag to decode the town type.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Here are the Town Index values that are associated with each town class, if they're helpful.

If the city flag is set: Lowest 2 bits of the Town Index (0-3):

0 = Metropolis
1 = Industrial City
2-3 = Small City

If the city flag is not set: Lowest 3 bits of the Town Index (0-7):

0-2 = Industrial Town
3 = Small/Planned Town
4-7 = Village
lugo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lugo »

I'm having problems with TaI 0.3 beta (not using other House Sets) and Vaulters Patch Pack. I posted in his thread thread.
aantono
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aantono »

Pikka, this is an amazing set, and I was hoping that there might be an update to it, to add the City/*/Hall to mark the kind of town, etc.
Any chance that might happen? :D

Return to “Graphics Development”