OpenTTD Auto Update - 2.0.6

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: OpenTTD Auto Update - 2.0.5

Post by Transportman »

MinchinWeb wrote:I love the idea. I downloaded it last night, and set up several installations that it installed just fine. However, today, it won't update. So I have a bug to report. I'm using version 2.0.5 on Windows 7 (64 bit). The program starts up fine, but when I click "Update and Play" on the Nightly edition (to which it says an update is available), the updater takes a moment and then stops responding, but uses lots of CPU power (70-95% of my CPU). It never does start OpenTTD.
And if you wait for a bit longer? When it can't find the mirror, or the mirror takes a long time, it looks like the updater stops working, but after some time it finally pops up the error message. Noticed that when the nearest mirror for my place was down a while ago, but I was still being send to that mirror.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

MinchinWeb wrote:I love the idea. I downloaded it last night, and set up several installations that it installed just fine. However, today, it won't update. So I have a bug to report. I'm using version 2.0.5 on Windows 7 (64 bit). The program starts up fine, but when I click "Update and Play" on the Nightly edition (to which it says an update is available), the updater takes a moment and then stops responding, but uses lots of CPU power (70-95% of my CPU). It never does start OpenTTD.
Hello, I can confirm this issue using my own client. I'll debug this problem later when I have time.
Transportman wrote:And if you wait for a bit longer? When it can't find the mirror, or the mirror takes a long time, it looks like the updater stops working, but after some time it finally pops up the error message. Noticed that when the nearest mirror for my place was down a while ago, but I was still being send to that mirror.
If I look at http://ottdau.junctioneer.net/UpdateServer/StatusPage/ and then on the suggested URL for the changelog, that file is available. So it is a bit strange. (It is the changelog that it first downloads before displaying it along with a question to update)

Edit: What seems to be a possible workaround is to set "Last NoGo" or "Last YAIM" and rely on it downloading nightlies now that those has been merged with trunk.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Zuu wrote:
Transportman wrote:And if you wait for a bit longer? When it can't find the mirror, or the mirror takes a long time, it looks like the updater stops working, but after some time it finally pops up the error message. Noticed that when the nearest mirror for my place was down a while ago, but I was still being send to that mirror.
If I look at http://ottdau.junctioneer.net/UpdateServer/StatusPage/ and then on the suggested URL for the changelog, that file is available. So it is a bit strange. (It is the changelog that it first downloads before displaying it along with a question to update)
But the changelog is already on the mirrors, so when the mirror is down, your Status Page will give an OK, but the Updater will not be able to retrieve the changelog or any gamefiles. And I have the Updater set to Download and Play, without displaying the Changelog or the question to update, maybe that makes a difference.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Transportman wrote:But the changelog is already on the mirrors, so when the mirror is down, your Status Page will give an OK, but the Updater will not be able to retrieve the changelog or any gamefiles. And I have the Updater set to Download and Play, without displaying the Changelog or the question to update, maybe that makes a difference.
I don't fully follow what you say. Maybe I was unclear about that I visited the changelog/download URLs in my browser to test that they work.

From my tests with and without debugger I have concluded this:
  • If I change the options so that it doesn't display the changelog, there is no problem. (Not sure if that is what you tried to say Transportman or if you tried to say the opposite)
  • There is also no problem to get releases that uses the raw changelog viewer. (stable + all hg branches etc)
  • The reason for the problems with the changelog has nothing to do with downloading it. The problem is that there is a commit message with unbalanced square brackets.
    r23649 by TrueBrain wrote:-Fix [FS#4905) (r23634): loading a savegame with an empty GSTR chunk caused assert
The fix is fairly simple, but there is some manual work to get it out, so expect the update to come within 1-3 days. Until then, turning off the display of the change log will fix the hang up. If you are interested to follow what is happening in trunk until the bug is fixed you can for example use vcs.openttd.org/svn/.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Update - Version 2.0.6

Change log:
  • Fix: Don't hang up if there are unbalanced square brackets in a commit message in the OpenTTD change log.
  • Fix: disable check box for dates in change log if display of change log has been disabled in the options

For those of you who have the program already, close it and open again and it will self update.
Attachments
OpenTTDAutoUpdate2.0.6.zip
(497.81 KiB) Downloaded 4547 times
MinchinWeb
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by MinchinWeb »

Zuu wrote:Update - Version 2.0.6
Sucess! Thanks for the quick update Zuu!
Alberta Town Names - 1500+ real names from 'Acme' to 'Zama City'
MinchinWeb's Random Town Name Generator - providing 2 million plus names...
WmDOT v13 - An AI that doubles as your highway department
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Zuu wrote:
Transportman wrote:But the changelog is already on the mirrors, so when the mirror is down, your Status Page will give an OK, but the Updater will not be able to retrieve the changelog or any gamefiles. And I have the Updater set to Download and Play, without displaying the Changelog or the question to update, maybe that makes a difference.
I don't fully follow what you say. Maybe I was unclear about that I visited the changelog/download URLs in my browser to test that they work.
Ah, you did it recently, I was talking about a while back (several weeks/months), when one of the mirrors was actually down but I was still routed to it (both through the Updater as through the website).
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: OpenTTD Auto Update - 2.0.6

Post by Transportman »

Maybe a bit late after 4 months, but I have a suggestion (might not be entirely into the scope of this program):
When using the Auto Update to get the latest nightly, there are sometimes changes in OpenTTD that require an update to OpenGFX because of new graphics. Is it possible to also let the program update OpenGFX?

[Edit]I mean the OpenGFX nightlies[/edit]
Last edited by Transportman on 29 Apr 2012 11:49, edited 1 time in total.
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Terkhen »

OpenTTD can do that by itself. Just select "Online content", choose "Select upgrades" and then "Download".
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

That only works for stable versions of OpenGFX, not for nightlies. I should have mentioned that in my previous post (thought I had, but apparently changed it before posting)
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Transportman wrote:Is it possible to also let the program update OpenGFX?

[Edit]I mean the OpenGFX nightlies[/edit]
Certainly possible. However, not very likely that I will prioritize it. If you got a legal copy of Delphi 2005-2007, you are welcome to help out. Another option is that I add the ability to chain an external program at some points to allow others to implement additional features without paying 1000 Euro to get the compiler.
Michi_cc
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Michi_cc »

Zuu wrote:If you got a legal copy of Delphi 2005-2007, you are welcome to help out.
Out of interest, every tried using Lazarus? My last Delphi time is long, long ago though, so no idea how compatible Lazarus is nowadays :)

-- Michael Lutz
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Michi_cc wrote:
Zuu wrote:If you got a legal copy of Delphi 2005-2007, you are welcome to help out.
Out of interest, every tried using Lazarus? My last Delphi time is long, long ago though, so no idea how compatible Lazarus is nowadays :)

-- Michael Lutz
Yes, I tried it but it is not really compatible. You can write new stuff with it, but to compile existing projects you have to re-write it a bit. I don't know how much re-writing that is necessary, as I decided to give up on it.
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

I wonder why "Last Stable (including pre-stable)" fails with "no openttd.exe".
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Can you describe what you did?

Did you just install OpenTTD Auto update, added a new target and then hit play (without update)?

Or did you do something else?
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

Installations, new, Last Stable (including pre-stable), save

I clicked box, it turned yellow. Than I used "Update & play". As this was first run, folder was empty. I got "Do you wish to install (unzip) in (...) folder?"

I clicked OK

I got changelog, I confirmed update

Error: Unzip process failed!

Error: Unzip process failed!
Error: Installation of OpenTTD failed because "unzip process failed"!

I got trunk and stable without any problems.
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Hmm, so the actual problem is that there is a failure to unzip the install.

This is the URL that it fetches the zip from. But from your error message I don't think there is a download error.
http://binaries.openttd.org/releases/1. ... -win32.zip

Though you could go to the installation folder of OTTD AU and check the "AutoUpdateCache" folder. It should contain a zip file with the 1.2.3-RC1 zip file. You could just take a look into that zip file and verify that it looks ok.

Another thing that may cause problems is if you create a new OpenTTD installation at a path where OTTDAU doesn't have sufficient rights in order to write files there.
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

"You could just take a look into that zip file and verify that it looks ok."

Zip is broken.
Attachments
OpenTTD_win32_stable_1.2.3-RC1-stable.zip
(3.28 MiB) Downloaded 75 times
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

So there was probably a download error when it used http to get this file:
http://binaries.openttd.org/releases/1. ... -win32.zip

To force it to re-download the zip, you can remove it from the cache directory and try again to perform "Update & Play" (or just "Update" from the action menu).
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

Thanks, problem fixed (I assumed that AU redownloads it after previous failure)!
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD

Return to “General OpenTTD”