Kamnet's Sprite Sandbox

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Kamnet's Sprite Sandbox

Post by oberhümer »

Definitely... only that there's a bit too much black on the pillars again (I'd keep the light concrete gray until almost the bottom).
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

better?
Attachments
deltawerken03.png
deltawerken03.png (19.25 KiB) Viewed 5810 times
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Yoshi
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Yoshi »

I think he means a combination of those types:
and
then it looks like this:
Damm.png
Damm.png (3.98 KiB) Viewed 5801 times
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

Quast65 wrote:better?
Great. Keep it that way.
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

kamnet wrote:Seems like Quast should make his own sprite sandbox ;-)

You are absolutely right :D

see here: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 41#p978641

All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
ZxBiohazardZx
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ZxBiohazardZx »

since we are on water, dams etc, how about a low-level tile for dike or land -> water transition (i imagine it like the VAST path, but on 1 side you have water, and on the other side you have land (and the path is raised to form a dike

(my drawskills are horrible so yeah)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

OK, trying to take back control of my own sandbox here... ;-)

For the last few years I've wanted to see a mobile home park develop. So far the closest thing has been a few UK-style "caravan parks" which are nowhere near the same type or scale as American-style mobile home parks. So, here's a REALLY CRUDE start, this isn't in TTD palette either (I am not fully set back up for that yet), but if this is inspiration enough for somebody else to take off and use, be my guest. As always, sprite is in the public domain.
mobile-home.png
mobile-home.png (714 Bytes) Viewed 5451 times
kamnet

Mobile Homes

Post by kamnet »

OK so I finally re-installed gimp, re-installed TTD palette, and worked on the graphics a little more, made it two mobile homes on the same tile. I think it looks a little better. Not very colorful, I might work on that next.
mobile-home-2a.png
mobile-home-2a.png (2.76 KiB) Viewed 5311 times
mobile-home-2b.png
mobile-home-2b.png (2.76 KiB) Viewed 5311 times
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Here's a rotated view and another color scheme.
mobile-home-2a1.png
mobile-home-2a1.png (513 Bytes) Viewed 5244 times
mobile-home-2a2.png
mobile-home-2a2.png (997 Bytes) Viewed 5244 times
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Nice idea!

Couple of comments:

- I think the windows on the long side are too big, 3 pix high looks better IMO. This will also give more room for texturing.
- Keep the windows on the long side the same shape (like the one on the left) and a bit further apart.
- Not sure how it is in the USA, but here in Holland mobile homes are required that they can be moved (whats in a name, hey), so there are still wheels under them. So the living quarters are not on groundlevel. Maybe lifting the windows and door 1 pix up and draw a ramp or stairs to the door will give that effect. No need to draw wheels or lift the entire structure, when the homes are placed, most people will put sideboards around it. To make it look better and no-one can crawl under them.

This is just my opinion ofcourse, this is a quick drawing I made with my suggestions implemented (the ramp doesnt look good, but it was a quicky):
Attachments
mobilehome01.png
mobilehome01.png (896 Bytes) Viewed 5146 times

kamnet

Post by kamnet »

That actually looks quite nice. Most mobile homes do have a small porch or steps up to the door, I just couldn't find a way to make it look good/right, but you seem to have accomplished that.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

I don't think that the porch is ok, I've seen better steps than that one I drew quickly, for example look closely at the way Purno has drawn the stairs in the dutch station set.

By the way feel free to use any of my tips and drawings I have made as you seem fit. :D

And with these buildings I also get a 50's style diner feel, so maybe you could add some advertising/neonletters. I'm getting tired of Mcdonalds having the monopoly in fastfood in OTTD-world ;-)

kamnet

Post by kamnet »

On a mobile home there are only going to be 4-6 short, shallow steps anyhow. You're not going to see that kinda detail in 8bpp, so 1-pixel porch or step is going to be fine IMO.

Yep, this would be fine for a 40s or 50s-style diner. Could probably also adapt it to a modern-day Waffle House or Huddle House, possibly as a basis for a Sonic, Rally's, Checkers or In-and-Out restaurant (for those familiar with those chains). Perhaps a restaurnt pack does need to be created. And, TBH, the design of that McDonalds is 30 years old, at least. They've revamped their styles a few times since then.
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

As depressing as it sounds to type this, a fast food set would indeed have a lot of interesting graphic potential. It could be based on real brands, or generic interpretations.

Back to trailers, what would be great would be the provision for houses greater than 2x2, that locate only in the outer most zone of non-city towns.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Why not code it as industries, like that apartment complex concept that I made?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I was considering contacting you about possibly adding these to such as set, Emperor Jake! There's been a couple of prior attempts at doing something but have failed. I think this could succeed. :-)

Although, if we're really going to do trailer parks, we probably need some "trailer park trash" too. Cars up on cinder blocks, lazy dogs underneath porches, various yard kitch like pink flamingos and raised flower beds made out of tractor tires... (yes, quite stereotypical. I live near Appalachia, though, it's true!!).
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Bring it on!

Captain Rand
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Captain Rand »

You absolutely must do a Waffle House! It's the only place in the USA where you can get a decent cup of tea!

Essential for an Englishman like myself. Other Brits who have visited the States will know what I mean!

Pete.
There's nothing like a deadline to hone the concentration.

Good manners cost nothing, but earn respect.

" 'Impossible' is not in our vocabulary." Jack Chrichton, Farscape
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

I would be happy to include a trailer park in the Housing as Industries set. Just one thing: The mobile home looks a little wide, is that intended?

The NewGRF would also somehow have to differentiate between trailer parks and apartment complexes. Trailer parks should appear in small towns, while apartments in larger towns. I think that can be done, I just have to figure out how to code it. Should they also be allowed to be built far away from towns?

Return to “Graphics Development”