OpenGFX+ Landscape

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Ogre
Engineer
Engineer

Re: OpenGFX+ Landscape

Post by Ogre »

Thanks very much for your GRF-Set. With these tiny grids disabled, the game looks A LOT better in my eyes. *thumbs up*

One thing I have in mind since I downloaded and tested this set: Is there any way to make the fence-tiles block the construction of bridges over them, just as the rock/signal tower does? My intention is to protect a special area of the map from being accessed/crossed by roads/rails/canals, but placing these rocks/signal towers around this area does not look as half as good as with your fences.
The pessimist sees the darkness in the tunnel.
The optimist sees the light at the end of the tunnel.
The realist sees the light coming closer...
The engineer sees three fools in front of his train on the track in the tunnel.
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

Just tried version 0.2.3 and I'm getting a strange rail effect...see picture.

Ordinary rail is slightly darker than normal, but rail with crosslinks is lighter (the normal brightness for rail). It's also noticable that dark rail and light rail don't quite line up. It may be due to another newgrf but I'm just wondering if anyone else is getting the effect.

Reverting back to 0.2.1 shows all rail as the lighter colour and rail seems to line up fine (other newgrfs from the 0.2.3 test unchanged).
Attachments
Unnamed, 1st Jan 1950.png
Unnamed, 1st Jan 1950.png (55.22 KiB) Viewed 5741 times
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

I bet OpenGFX+ doesn't provide the rail overlays, but takes those from the base set. So the situation you have now is OpenGFX rails with TTD overlays. What happens if you switch your base set to OpenGFX?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

FooBar wrote:I bet OpenGFX+ doesn't provide the rail overlays, but takes those from the base set. So the situation you have now is OpenGFX rails with TTD overlays. What happens if you switch your base set to OpenGFX?
He, exactly. Very good point and observation.
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

Yes, if I use the opengfx+ base set then everything is ok...

It's just that I'm used to the original base set gui icons and learning to appreciate the new ones will be a bit of a nuisance. I suppose I can learn to live with it...

Thanks for the quick response.
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

You won't get this problem if you use a rail set :wink: I'd recommend the UK Railway Tracks set simply because they don't do anything fancy and look very similar to the standard TTD rails only a slightly finer scale. I think Swedish Rails uses railtypes also so they should work too :wink:
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

lawton27 wrote:You won't get this problem if you use a rail set :wink: I'd recommend the UK Railway Tracks set simply because they don't do anything fancy and look very similar to the standard TTD rails only a slightly finer scale. I think Swedish Rails uses railtypes also so they should work too :wink:
Yes indeed. But I'll also take 3biff's report as motivation to just replace the overlay sprites by fitting sprites within this NewGRF :-)
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

Appreciated...but don't go out of your way to do that...(not that you intend to rush this anyway).
Asidonhopo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Asidonhopo »

Hi!

I’ve noticed a regression between 0.2.3 and 1.0.0. In the old version (and in ‘vanilla’ OpenTTD without OpenGFX+Landscape enabled), if I’d bulldoze an area, it would gradually grow back. The dirt patches would slowly grow grass, then a little more, and finally there’d be no sign of the original bulldozing. This screenshot shows an intermediate stage:

With 1.0.0 onward, the dirt tiles stay ‘pure’ dirt for a few months, then pop back to pure grass tiles, with no in-between. It’s difficult to capture the absence of something in a screenshot, but I’ve tried nonetheless. :‌o)

The regression was introduced with 1.0.0 and is present in 1.0.1 as well. To reproduce: Install 0.2.3, create a new map, bulldoze something and wait. You will notice the grass growing back. Now do the same thing with 1.0.0, and you get that chunky popping. All this was tested with OpenTTD 1.4.3

It seems like high-level nitpickery to report something like this, but the grass-slowly-regrowing-back-effect is one of those miniscule details that so much enhance the game for me that it being gone breaks immersion.

All this out of the way: A big thank you for making this set! It’s one of my staples ever since I found this game.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Asidonhopo wrote:Hi!

I’ve noticed a regression between 0.2.3 and 1.0.0. In the old version (and in ‘vanilla’ OpenTTD without OpenGFX+Landscape enabled), if I’d bulldoze an area, it would gradually grow back. The dirt patches would slowly grow grass, then a little more, and finally there’d be no sign of the original bulldozing. This screenshot shows an intermediate stage:
I'm glad you like the set :) And thanks for this report. It's indeed a regression and it's a bug and not a nit pick at all. It shall be fixed in the next release.
Eddy Arfik
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Eddy Arfik »

Any chance the functionality of the "Snow Aware Arctic Buildings" GRF could be built into the next release? Variable snowline breaks the default buildings snow-awareness.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Eddy Arfik wrote:Any chance the functionality of the "Snow Aware Arctic Buildings" GRF could be built into the next release? Variable snowline breaks the default buildings snow-awareness.
This set is a landscape set, thus its scope is limited to ground and water tiles, rivers, roads, trees, default rail sprites. It may gain replacement for default bridge sprites for the sake of uniform road surfaces. But it's stretching already its limits with the NewObjects it contains. It will not implement any change to houses, industries, stations, airports, rail types or vehicles.
Eddy Arfik
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Eddy Arfik »

I wasn't asking for extra buildings, just pointing out what looks to me like a bug. When using this landscape set no buildings ever show snow, even when above the snowline, it took me ages to work out that I needed to load another grf on top of this one to get the snowy buildings back.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Default houses only show snow when they're permanently above the snow line - as seen on the attached screenshot. But that's an issue with the houses, and should be fixed by a house set.
Attachments
Snowy houses
Snowy houses
Unnamed, 23rd Jun 1987.png (296.54 KiB) Viewed 4938 times
Gankenstein
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gankenstein »

At maximal zoom out (using OpenTTD default zoom settings), water surfaces are blinking/flashing. Especially with large water surfaces it's more like a strobe light than like animated water.

This is with OpenTTD 1.5.1, OpenGFX+ Landscape 1.1.2.

Removing OpenGFX+ Landscape from the newGRF List makes the blinking go away (I am working in the scenario editor), so this behaviour must be caused by OpenGFX+ Landscape.

Now, I know to make this blinking go away by turning "Full Animation" off but don't know if this also turns off other animations so I'd like to hear if this is working as intended.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Gankenstein wrote:At maximal zoom out (using OpenTTD default zoom settings), water surfaces are blinking/flashing. Especially with large water surfaces it's more like a strobe light than like animated water.

This is with OpenTTD 1.5.1, OpenGFX+ Landscape 1.1.2.

Removing OpenGFX+ Landscape from the newGRF List makes the blinking go away (I am working in the scenario editor), so this behaviour must be caused by OpenGFX+ Landscape.

Now, I know to make this blinking go away by turning "Full Animation" off but don't know if this also turns off other animations so I'd like to hear if this is working as intended.
Your observation is correct and known. Indeed the behaviour at large zoom-out levels is a bit awkward. A solution would be to design sprites dedicated for the zoom-out levels so that the blinking (caused by the animation of the waves) being reduced or removed then). The same should happen with the OpenGFX baseset alone, too.
Gankenstein
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gankenstein »

Thanks for replying. Even using search-fu it is not always I discover if an issue or a topic has been raised earlier.
planetmaker wrote:The same should happen with the OpenGFX baseset alone, too.
I did not check that, as I use zBase.

Return to “Graphics Releases”