pathing buggy?

Talk about the new mobile version of Transport Tycoon (for iOS and Android) released in 2013.
grandpixel
Engineer
Engineer

pathing buggy?

Post by grandpixel »

Hi all. Old time TTDLX fan and iOS fan, was excited to see it come to iPhone :).

I recently started playing a bit more, and I typically start my games with simple bus routes. As the number of people waiting grows, I build more buses. Every time I start to get 20 or so buses between 5-10 cities, they seem to get lost or stuck. I've been using bus stops, but just realized there is a bus terminus as well. I don't know what the difference is, but the terminus does not seem to help my problem.

To try and simplify the issue, I started a new game and just put 2 bus stops in the same city. It works fine with 2-4 buses, but the more I have, the more they get lost/stuck. They drive on both sides of the road, and when one runs into another one, it turns around and wanders for a while. When the station already has a bus, other buses turn around and wander or get lost/stuck. It seems like they should wait till the bus leaves the terminal, and form a line.

Anyway, I must be doing something wrong, because the game seems to have very good ratings. For me it is unplayable.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: pathing buggy?

Post by wallyweb »

This goes back a bit in time, but if I recall properly, Transport Tycoon Deluxe had a similar issue which was corrected via TTDPatch.
grandpixel
Engineer
Engineer

Post by grandpixel »

wallyweb wrote:This goes back a bit in time, but if I recall properly, Transport Tycoon Deluxe had a similar issue which was corrected via TTDPatch.

Just wanted to make sure you know I am talking about iPhone version, yes?
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

Does the turning around issue happen with both stops and termini? If only stops then it could be a bug but I remember locomotion having the same problem. Also have you looked at the official Transport Tycoon Mobile forum?
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

grandpixel wrote:Just wanted to make sure you know I am talking about iPhone version, yes?
No question. It is interesting though to find that something old was carried over into something new. Might be worth posting over in the iOS version's forum.
roboboy wrote:... I remember locomotion having the same problem.
Perhaps CS has an aversion to standing in line in a queue and he considers this to be a feature :lol:
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

Unfortunately, that's an issue that's (as stated above) prevalent in Locomotion and TTM.

Road pathfinding is never perfect, and when a particular section of road is frequented by too many vehicles, some of them will stray away. I think that's actually in the code as a realistic way to prevent jams; it causes buses and trucks to go in circles if there is no other way to go, however.

Waypoints will help, but when the street is too busy then they become useless as well.
ThomasTheTruck
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ThomasTheTruck »

The pathfinder is archaic, so, have you tried setting the vehicle instructions to

Code: Select all

go to station
Go to waypoint
Go to station
Go to waypoint 
But other times the road layout is too complex for the pathfinder

Return to “Transport Tycoon (2013)”