Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:23 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:27 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

Just wondering, can you get mods on MTTD? because before I buy it, I want to make sure you can have mods, as the original trains and things are quite boring.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:49 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

It's theoretically possible as far as I know (although I haven't played it) but at this time none exist. Also as a minor aside the generally used shortening is TTM (Transport Tycoon mobile) as there is no Deluxe in the name.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:41 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

As far as I know, it's been established that they won't be allowed, or at least aren't at the moment. Any mods would most likely be released as updates.

Formerly known as LocoRoller

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:37 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

If you have an Android, try to root your phone and explore the game files yourself. Note that you might be the first people to do so, if you don't have enough knowledge around programming you won't really found anything (other than the possibility to damage the installation). Also, they might not work for iOS versions (as iOS are far more stricter).

YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:57 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Personally i think that the mods would work for both ios and android. They say, savegames would work in both versions too.

Btw.. The png's in the data-folder aren't palette-sprites. They are in true-color with a simple alpha-channel.

seelenquell.pytalhost.com has been reactivated from 16/07/28 till 18/05/31..
now it´s offline due to european security gedöns. DSVGO & GDPR

if you´re asking me per PN or mail, you could have all the files you want.

just playin` family in real life.. nice graphics..! nice sound..!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:12 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

The constraints over iOS would be "how to place the mod folder in order for it to work". Without rooting it also won't be able to be done over Android (all application core files are stored in a hidden folder, not a folder that can be seen directly)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:21 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Just looked back at this.

YNM wrote:
The constraints over iOS would be "how to place the mod folder in order for it to work". Without rooting it also won't be able to be done over Android (all application core files are stored in a hidden folder, not a folder that can be seen directly)

It may actually be possible with the aid of an iFile-type app.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:05 am 
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Possibly, but installing iFile requires prior jailbreaking. The question is... is there any actual interest in modding TTM? If I were to - let's say - donate a community project, I'd send money to bringing OpenTTD a proper Android/iOS port. This would get us a way more robust and promising mobile TT game.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:45 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

I don't think there's any real interest in modding TTM, that game is intended to be what it is.

It would be better to focus on making OpenTTD more playable on mobile. To t hat end, though, there's no interest in doing it for money, as currently nobody is asking for money when they could. Rather, donations of time in improving things like code, controls, interface and display is what is needed.

Base Music Sets: OpenMSX | Scott Joplin Anthology | Traditional Winter Holiday Music | Modern Motion Music
Other Projects: 2CC Trams | Modern Waypoints | Sprite Sandbox & NewGRF Releases | Ideabox | Town Names | Isle of Sodor Scenario | Random Sprite Repository
Misc Topics: My Screenshots | Forgotten NewGRFs | Unfinished Graphics Sets | Stats Shack | RoadTypes?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:24 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

vear wrote:
Possibly, but installing iFile requires prior jailbreaking. The question is... is there any actual interest in modding TTM? If I were to - let's say - donate a community project, I'd send money to bringing OpenTTD a proper Android/iOS port. This would get us a way more robust and promising mobile TT game.

Now that I think of it, that might pose another problem: each update would probably have to be uploaded again for the mobile port (though it wouldn't necessarily be too much of a burden).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:04 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

I thought the reason we stayed off from iOS was due to our license ? And the goddamit amount of money required ?

iOS is too strict, and I guess we should let that die away (as the key people is dead now)... Let's focus on Android. :wink:
Anybody to help him ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:36 pm 
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Open source licence does not prevent you from making an app for iOS. iTunes Store's TOS do however prevent you from putting a GPL'd application there. However, jailbroken phones can run whatever technically possible, most likely utilising Cydia as a replacement store. This way ScummVM has releases for iOS.

Of course, audience is greatly limited. It is also truth that iOS is a piece of limited crap that could've been a decent mobile OS had Apple not adopted Microsoft's ways of getting absolute scrutiny over market.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:22 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Aside from the license incompatibility for Apple Store, you have the expenses of paying for a developer license from Apple. There is no such cost with Android, and although you do have to pay to get into the various Android-based stores, there are no licensing restrictions and the store costs are much more affordable.

Base Music Sets: OpenMSX | Scott Joplin Anthology | Traditional Winter Holiday Music | Modern Motion Music
Other Projects: 2CC Trams | Modern Waypoints | Sprite Sandbox & NewGRF Releases | Ideabox | Town Names | Isle of Sodor Scenario | Random Sprite Repository
Misc Topics: My Screenshots | Forgotten NewGRFs | Unfinished Graphics Sets | Stats Shack | RoadTypes?