Delivering Mail in Transport Tycoon

Talk about the new mobile version of Transport Tycoon (for iOS and Android) released in 2013.
Werebear
Engineer
Engineer

Delivering Mail in Transport Tycoon

Post by Werebear »

I have a few stations and depots that will have mail for my trains or trucks to pick up.

But when I pick it up, where do I deliver it to? I've seen individual houses and buildings that say they generate and receive mail, but how to I get the mail to them?

Do I set up a supply depot, and drop off mail there?

Do I buy a mail truck and have it pick up the mail, and then... what? Where does a mail truck take the mail?

Again, is there somewhere else I can look for this information? I've done lots of searches, to no avail. (In fact, I'm hoping someone else who is having the same problem will find my question, as answer to their own).

Is there somewhere I can RTFM and find this out for myself? Or is it simply trial and error?

Thanks!

Russell
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Delivering Mail in Transport Tycoon

Post by YNM »

They're basically the same as passengers - don't think that you become the postman !

For more questions regarding cargoes, I suggest you to look up the Locomotion forum - the game which largely become the base of TTM / TT2013 game. All Chris Sawyer's transportation simulation games are similiar in cargo scheme - just some improvement on newer versions. This also means that OpenTTD wiki's might help you aswell :)
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Werebear
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Werebear »

Okay, got it - I am not the postman...

But - I have stations that have mail, and I can pick it up.

I think I know what you mean about mail being like passengers.

Passengers just need to be picked up, and can be dropped at any station that accepts passengers. Right?

So, if I pick up mail, I can only drop it off at a station/stop/depot/what ever that receives mail.

Houses Produce passengers and mail, but they don't receive mail. They only receive passengers.

Large buildings, however, produce passengers and mail, and also receive/accepts mail (and goods, and food).

Is it the case that if I want to deliver mail to that large building, that it needs to be under a catchment (in this case, a cargo bay?)

That's how it works?

I looked all over in the Locomotion files to find this explicitly stated, but I must have just missed it - I still can't find it.

But experimenting in the game, sure enough, I can see that's what happens.

How do I move that mail? Let me check...

Built a cargo bay with large buildings in the catchment, and then built another.

Bought a mail truck, routed between the two.

Delivering mail, making money. Just like that. Wow.

Hopefully other newbies will find these posts a bit easier than I found this answer.

Thanks for your help, YNM!

Russell
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

Tap on a building and you will see a list of what it accepts, as Werebear has noticed. (1/2 Passengers, 3/8 Food, 1/4 Mail, 1/4 Goods, for instance.)
image.jpg
image.jpg (521.44 KiB) Viewed 2641 times
You need the fractions of all of the buildings in the catchment area to add up to 1 for a particular cargo to be accepted.
wanderer28
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wanderer28 »

LocoRoller wrote:You need the fractions of all of the buildings in the catchment area to add up to 1 for a particular cargo to be accepted.
That's new information. To me. Who has been playing Locomotion since 2004 all while not knowing about it. :oops:
Werebear
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Werebear »

wanderer28 wrote:
LocoRoller wrote:You need the fractions of all of the buildings in the catchment area to add up to 1 for a particular cargo to be accepted.
That's new information. To me. Who has been playing Locomotion since 2004 all while not knowing about it. :oops:
I think this falls under that category that a lot of players already know, but don't talk about it since they think everybody already knows it.

I dug around quite a bit before I started asking questions. I was trying to do spoke and hub transport networks, thinking passengers (and mail) wanted to go *somewhere*, when what they really want to do is *go*. Anywhere.

Learning that experienced players like you are still getting more info about the game helps a lot, actually... it makes me feel like I shouldn't feel so wonky about not finding the info as easily as I'd like.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

That method of acceptance calculation has been in place since TTO on DOS. I will try to be more open in regards to information on game mechanics that I think are common knowledge.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
whitehexagon
Engineer
Engineer

Post by whitehexagon »

LocoRoller wrote:Tap on a building and you will see a list of what it accepts, as Werebear has noticed. (1/2 Passengers, 3/8 Food, 1/4 Mail, 1/4 Goods, for instance.)
image.jpg
You need the fractions of all of the buildings in the catchment area to add up to 1 for a particular cargo to be accepted.
Wow, I always wondered what the fraction were about, thanks. It would be nice when placing a new depot, if you could see existing catchment areas highlighted, otherwise how do you know if they overlap? and are these fractions then shared between both catchment areas?

So 1 depot might be valid for mail, then you place another depot a bit too close, and the first deport drops below 1 for mail, and mail stops?
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

So long as the fractions add up to 1 (for that station) while you are delivering that cargo then it will be accepted.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
arno destang
Engineer
Engineer

Post by arno destang »

This is so useful - I've been having the exact same quandary, but with food deliveries. Had been wondering about the fractions. Thanks all.
metalangel
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by metalangel »

Does the new version say, as you're sweeping around looking where to place a new station, what that new station will accept if you do place it there?
"(Locomotion is) one of the best-playing games of its type." -Chris Sawyer

Northeast Corridor - South Wales & the Southwest

Return to “Transport Tycoon (2013)”