A series of technical questions

Talk about the new mobile version of Transport Tycoon (for iOS and Android) released in 2013.
Bedwyr
Engineer
Engineer

A series of technical questions

Post by Bedwyr »

Hi there! Long time lurker first time poster. I've played TTDX and OpenTTD before but not Locomotion which this appears to be. After spending some time with it, I do have a number of questions.

1. I've browsed through the Locomotion forum clues about how to properly design roll-on roll-off stations, and I think I mostly have it, but I'm still getting reversing behavior (see image 1). Two solutions occur to me. One, I feed the inbound line the other direction and point trains towards the destination to begin with. Two, I add one more set of one-way signals after the two way signals so that the train will not sense a valid path in that direction. Either correct? Any other corrections?

2. A competitor left a lot of yucky cruft as image 2 shows. Is there no way to remove extra roadways that I haven't built? (Which would be disappointing if true.)

3. There's an ad for a free companion app in the help file (image 3). It doesn't lead anywhere valid. Is this not real or not released?

4. I figured out how to take screenshots on the iDevice. Hurrah!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (504.43 KiB) Viewed 790 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (536.66 KiB) Viewed 790 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (190.13 KiB) Viewed 790 times
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: A series of technical questions

Post by YNM »

Hmm, your screenshots shows that the new TT2013 is nothing more than just Locomotion + improvements (where ?) port to mobile platforms...
Bedwyr wrote:1. I've browsed through the Locomotion forum clues about how to properly design roll-on roll-off stations, and I think I mostly have it, but I'm still getting reversing behavior (see image 1). Two solutions occur to me. One, I feed the inbound line the other direction and point trains towards the destination to begin with. Two, I add one more set of one-way signals after the two way signals so that the train will not sense a valid path in that direction. Either correct? Any other corrections?
Make all signal as one-way, including the ones in front of the station. Reversals are "normal" as the original Locomotion is.
Bedwyr wrote:2. A competitor left a lot of yucky cruft as image 2 shows. Is there no way to remove extra roadways that I haven't built? (Which would be disappointing if true.)
Not at all, which is also the problem with the original Locomotion on PC. You may prefer to play without any AI's (computer player, competitor in single-player) at all.
Bedwyr wrote:3. There's an ad for a free companion app in the help file (image 3). It doesn't lead anywhere valid. Is this not real or not released?
Probably not released yet... I'm not sure through !
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Bedwyr
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Bedwyr »

Thank you for the replies.
YNM wrote:Hmm, your screenshots shows that the new TT2013 is nothing more than just Locomotion + improvements (where ?) port to mobile platforms...
You're correct, I think people have pretty much established that it is.

Make all signal as one-way, including the ones in front of the station. Reversals are "normal" as the original Locomotion is.
Hmm. I needed to use two-way signals or else trains would never use other station sections(pathfinding quirk). And hearing that reversals are a behavior issue they *still* haven't figured out after all this time, well, that's just disappointing.

Not at all, which is also the problem with the original Locomotion on PC. You may prefer to play without any AI's (computer player, competitor in single-player) at all.
That's really too bad. Since the game is entirely scenario based, there's little sandbox opportunity. I think it all goes back to Chris Sawyer's weird fixations with scenario and ONLY scenarios based gameplay since Rollercoaster Tycoon.

I may simply say 'oh well' and uninstall this.
wanderer28
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wanderer28 »

Not sure if it will work, but here's a suggestion: have you tried putting both double- and single-way signals before the station? In theory that would first solve the platform-choosing requirement, and then the problem regarding the reversals.

Of course, the problem I envision here is it no longer treats the double-way signal as part of the block with the station included, which breaks the platform-choosing layout.
Roman
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Roman »

Have you tried setting a waypoint just after the station?
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

A waypoint would be my suggestion as well.

Keep in mind that not all of the Locomotion suggestions will apply here. The gameplay is almost exactly the same, but some little behavioral aspects are slightly different.
Bedwyr
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Bedwyr »

Thanks for the replies. @wanderer, yeah that's actually what I meant. Putting a one-way past the two way. It does appear to work pretty well. I vaguely remember TTDX having he same undesirable behavior and that's why we were counseled to place station entrances at the "back". That way the train would default to traveling towards its destination. Witchcraft.

It's too bad about competitor management and scenario play. I think Sawyer made some mistakes in bringing those feature decisions forward. At least give us some actual sandbox scenarios.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Bedwyr wrote:3. There's an ad for a free companion app in the help file (image 3). It doesn't lead anywhere valid. Is this not real or not released?
Oooooh! :shock:
Patch packs and GRFs? 8)
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

No Patches (Like TTDPatch or .patch/.diff) or GRFs as the game uses files in the .pl8 format. I and others have presumed that the .pl8s are similar to Locomotions .dats. Origin8 also haven't ruled out custom content in the future.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

roboboy wrote:Origin8 also haven't ruled out custom content in the future.
A developer kit for artists?
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

roboboy wrote:No Patches (Like TTDPatch or .patch/.diff) or GRFs as the game uses files in the .pl8 format. I and others have presumed that the .pl8s are similar to Locomotions .dats. Origin8 also haven't ruled out custom content in the future.
Source?
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

I can't find it again but Owen said they didn't rule it out in a future update/version.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Yes, it was stated informally at the TT Meet.

Return to “Transport Tycoon (2013)”