Transport Tycoon - first screenshots

Talk about the new mobile version of Transport Tycoon (for iOS and Android) released in 2013.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Transport Tycoon - first screenshots

Post by orudge »

I'm just reposting the newsletter mentioned in the main topic here:
Hello Transport Tycoon fans!

Firstly, I'd like to say thank you so very much for signing up to our newsletter. We know how much Transport Tycoon means to you, and we're so honoured to be able to show you info, screenshots and various other cool things... often before we show it to the press!
We thought it'd be nice to spice up your midweek by sending you a link to the great screenshots we unveiled last week - maybe you didn't see the news or maybe you just want the source images, but here they are!

You can view them on the Transport Tycoon Facebook page by clicking here.

We’ve decided to show a varied selection, showcasing all kinds of interesting and different terrain types & locales, with cities, deserts, mountains and fields – just a glimpse at the full scope that the game offers. Over the coming weeks we’ll be showing more and more of the game, and for now we’ve hidden the overlays so that you can study the environments in all their glory.

As you can see, Chris Sawyer and the team at Origin8 have elected to stick with a graphical style that harks back to the original games, but also looks glorious, detailed and intricate on modern screens – particularly so on retina iPads! We’re confident this shows you that the team is taking the game incredibly seriously, and making every decision based on how best to bring this classic back into our lives.

Of course we've seen a few people mentioning that it looks like Locomotion - rest assured that while some of the assets are shared the game itself takes all the best bits from Transport Tycoon and Locomotion (both Chris Sawyer games, don't forget!), and pulls them together to give you the greatest entry in this classic series so far.

It's also worth mentioning that these are taken from an in-development build so aren’t fully representative of the final quality of the game, but you knew that already.

Finally, keep an ear out for some news in the next few days regarding the game... we can't say much but we think the biggest fans out there will have reason to be excited!

Sincerely,

Andrew J Smith
Communications Manager
Chrill

Re: Transport Tycoon - first screenshots

Post by Chrill »

It's just Locomotion. It doesn't even look slightly different. Here's hoping the gameplay is better than what we remembered from Locomotion.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Dave

Post by Dave »

Biggest fans out there. I better get a free copy.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

For the people that do not wish to enable JavaScript to see comments on FB.

Transport Tycoon on FB wrote: We would like to address any comments comparing the new version of Transport Tycoon to Locomotion. Chris Sawyer designed and oversaw development, incorporating the best of both Transport Tycoon and Locomotion for PC. Transport Tycoon for iOS and Android was rewritten from the ground up, with no common code from earlier games!
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Dave wrote:Biggest fans out there. I better get a free copy.
I got a free copy of Locomotion back in the day. It was the US version, too - had quite a nice box, versus the plain old DVD case of the UK version (that I had already preordered).
TinyMusic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TinyMusic »

Transport Tycoon wrote:Of course we've seen a few people mentioning that it looks like Locomotion - rest assured that while some of the assets are shared the game itself takes all the best bits from Transport Tycoon and Locomotion (both Chris Sawyer games, don't forget!), and pulls them together to give you the greatest entry in this classic series so far.
What were the advantages of Locomotion over Transport Tycoon anyway? Was it curved bridges or something? And since the graphics and game play for the new game are definitely from Locomotion, what would be the original "Transport Tycoon" input into it?
Formerly known as UseYourIllusion.
Java Scenario Found Here - Version 2 out
[tweɪ̂ pû tɕʰì wɔ̀ mǐlɤ lû tɕʰìŋ nì pɑ́ŋmɑ̌ŋ]
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

UseYourIllusion wrote:
Transport Tycoon wrote:Of course we've seen a few people mentioning that it looks like Locomotion - rest assured that while some of the assets are shared the game itself takes all the best bits from Transport Tycoon and Locomotion (both Chris Sawyer games, don't forget!), and pulls them together to give you the greatest entry in this classic series so far.
What were the advantages of Locomotion over Transport Tycoon anyway? Was it curved bridges or something? And since the graphics and game play for the new game are definitely from Locomotion, what would be the original "Transport Tycoon" input into it?
On what basis do you judge gameplay? From the graphics shown on a handful of screenshots?
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

That and years of experience of listening to marketing guys talking about "the best of x and y" ^^
oboka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by oboka »

For you, hardcore TT players, Locomotion might not be a step forward, but for the average player it improved vastly in the user interface, laying tracks was easier than ever, depots and the confusion they caused the first time disapeared, the world and building posibilities were incredible, a definitely graphics and animations were far far better, I remember sitting there in front of the monitor watching trains go by...
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

oboka wrote:For you, hardcore TT players, Locomotion might not be a step forward, but for the average player it improved vastly in the user interface, laying tracks was easier than ever, depots and the confusion they caused the first time disapeared, the world and building posibilities were incredible, a definitely graphics and animations were far far better, I remember sitting there in front of the monitor watching trains go by...
I hated the track laying UI in Locomotion, it felt like it took way longer than in TT. and thought it odd that there was no servicing model at all.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

oboka wrote:For you, hardcore TT players, Locomotion might not be a step forward, but for the average player it improved vastly in the user interface, laying tracks was easier than ever, depots and the confusion they caused the first time disapeared, the world and building posibilities were incredible, a definitely graphics and animations were far far better, I remember sitting there in front of the monitor watching trains go by...
Yes, remember as well that by targetting this at tablets, the game will be trying to pick up a new audience that perhaps would not have considered playing a game like TT before. Us hardcore players have perhaps been spoiled by TTDPatch and OpenTTD (no doubt part of the reason Locomotion didn't go down as well with TTD players here is because we'd had years of TTDPatch enhancements that we'd got used to that weren't present in Locomotion).#
roboboy wrote:I hated the track laying UI in Locomotion, it felt like it took way longer than in TT. and thought it odd that there was no servicing model at all.
Given the unique nature of touch screen devices, it's likely the track laying UI will be different again in this new Transport Tycoon. We'll just have to wait and see how it turns out.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

roboboy wrote:I hated the track laying UI in Locomotion, it felt like it took way longer than in TT. and thought it odd that there was no servicing model at all.
Given the unique nature of touch screen devices, it's likely the track laying UI will be different again in this new Transport Tycoon. We'll just have to wait and see how it turns out.[/quote]
I look forward to seeing how it is dealt with whether it is the same way as LoMo/RCT or a brand new way as I can see the LoMo way "working" better than the TT way on a touch screen.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

roboboy wrote:
orudge wrote:
roboboy wrote:I hated the track laying UI in Locomotion, it felt like it took way longer than in TT.
Given the unique nature of touch screen devices, it's likely the track laying UI will be different again in this new Transport Tycoon. We'll just have to wait and see how it turns out.
I look forward to seeing how it is dealt with whether it is the same way as LoMo/RCT or a brand new way as I can see the LoMo way "working" better than the TT way on a touch screen.
The current LoMo way to remove/edit tracks would totally be a headache on tiny touchscreen devices.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

YNM wrote:The current LoMo way to remove/edit tracks would totally be a headache on tiny touchscreen devices.
I manage 5 things at a time on Locomotion, so I'll have a migraine as well. Not to mention the difficulty of selecting a moving train on a touchscreen.

Isn't this a thread for screenshots?
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

LocoRoller wrote:Isn't this a thread for screenshots?
More of "what impression do you get from the screenshot", perhaps, as the screenshot itself doesn't reveal things further away. Wait for a new one.

Anyway, continue on :mrgreen:
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Katve
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Katve »

I think this game should be named "Locomotion Mobile". I have never played Locomotion, but those screenshots just look so much like Locomotion and nothing like TT.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Katve wrote:I think this game should be named "Locomotion Mobile". I have never played Locomotion, but those screenshots just look so much like Locomotion and nothing like TT.
Chris Sawyer now owns the "Transport Tycoon" name. He doesn't own the "Locomotion" name.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

kamnet wrote: [...] He doesn't own the "Locomotion" name.
"Locomotion" might be still owned by the Stephenson family? :cool:

regards
Michael
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Chris Sawyer designed and oversaw development, incorporating the best of both Transport Tycoon and Locomotion for PC.
"How curious... That train traveled 5 tiles without breaking down? How often do 3 years old trains break down in this game anyway?"

"Breakdowns have been removed from the game in response to our commu-"

"NO BREAKDOWNS? Do you have ANY idea what you're doing- Oh and what is this?"

"That is a train track, built by an AI opponent, sir. I have programmed the pathfinding algorithm myself, I must add, it builds the-"

"STRAIGHTEST PATH POSSIBLE AND ON THE SURFACE? FIRE THIS MAN RIGHT NOW, I REFUSE TO WORK WITH HIM ANY FURTHER!"

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
TinyMusic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TinyMusic »

kamnet wrote:
Katve wrote:I think this game should be named "Locomotion Mobile". I have never played Locomotion, but those screenshots just look so much like Locomotion and nothing like TT.
Chris Sawyer now owns the "Transport Tycoon" name. He doesn't own the "Locomotion" name.
Oh, so that's why! But can't he just makes up another name instead of Transport Tycoon?
Formerly known as UseYourIllusion.
Java Scenario Found Here - Version 2 out
[tweɪ̂ pû tɕʰì wɔ̀ mǐlɤ lû tɕʰìŋ nì pɑ́ŋmɑ̌ŋ]

Return to “Transport Tycoon (2013)”