The thing is ...
- They have to first try and recreate the original code in an easier to manage language; they are more then 1 person now.
- They are but a small team while (Open)TTD(Patch) has had many many contributors during the last couple of years while MR. Sawyer has been dead in the water for many years. This is not the place to go into details about that IHMO.
- I am not so sure if it was an AI that produced the screenshots; eg. a bridge going up an then down on the next tile without actually going over something.
- Glitchy graphics ... I think the man has more pride than that but the code is not finalised; it was not when those first pictures were posted and maybe it is still not.
- They did state that more extension to the code may be comming after the initial release of Transport Tycoon 2013.
- They can not blatantly copy code from OpenTTD without getting into trouble, they can use ideas and make their own versions of it.
Considering all of the above the comparison with OpenTTD (and TTDPatch) is rather unfair and puts a lot of expectations on their shoulders; expectations they will not be able to fullfill any time soon. Last time I looked OpenTTD carries more then 60 years of development time and that was years ago.
I do not want to sound like a fanboy but this is how I feel about him being back in busseniss:
Even if he produces a smiling turd (figure of speech) I will be happy and I am more then delighted to see him back into producing games after all this time.
I will buy his new game (at least once), only to show him that I would like him to continue after this adventure.
A MR. Sawyer's productions fan.
When looking back at my almost 35 years of gaming career ... there are very few games that stood out of the masses like RCT (1 & 2 ) and TT(D) did and do to date.
Some have tried to make his games and ideas better and even more failed to do so.