Transport Tycoon to be "revitalised" for iOS and Android

Talk about the new mobile version of Transport Tycoon (for iOS and Android) released in 2013.
timfrombriz
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Transport Tycoon to be "revitalised" for iOS and Android

Post by timfrombriz »

JacobD88 wrote: Timfrombriz, to you it may be rude, but it's still CS's choice, he has always been a private person, and if you read up on him the whole RCT3 payment fiasco caused him to retreat even more from the community following the end of legal proceedings.

To paraphrase what Kogut said, just because someone likes what you create, doesn't mean that you have an obligation to keep a dialogue with that fan, or even communicate with them.

Not everyone is obsessed with finding the next way to make money, and if any of the figures floating around the web are true, CS doesn't actually *need* any more money after the success of RCT. So i find it most likely a case that he is not really focussed on marketing or selling his next product to us beyond simply announcing it!

CS was one of the last great bedroom-programmers before the indie and open source movements came around; i have always held the impression that he codes games for as much his own interest as for any financial gain. You only have to see how TT2 development turned into RCT when he became more interested in roller-coasters than trains to more or less confirm this impression.

He codes what he enjoys, and if he's lucky and successful enough to do that, then i have nothing but respect for him.

I don't need to know what he is working on 24-7, i don't really need to know how is next project is coming along, all i am happy about is that he is still alive, and he still wants to make games. When they arrive i do not really care, because i am still enjoying his works, and the community successors to his work, some ~20 years on from when TTO (W/O World Editor) first arrived on my PC...

Fair argument. I just find it disappointing that he chooses to do so. He is a unique game developer, not just because he works solo as designer/coder, but because the game play is very open ended. His games are breathing worlds, and just watching what you've tinkered with for hours can be entertaining. Unique.
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

Here I agree - I would be really happy to see some new games from him. This one seems to be case of simply porting to the unused by me platform, but maybe we will see something in the future?
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I'm expecting an entirely new Transport Tycoon game to be developed for mobile. If you take the 1993 game and plop it on to iOS or Android, it's going to fail hard. OpenTTD is successful enough as it is simply because that's all we have. But taking an older, out-of-date, unconfigurable game and just drop it on a new platform... well, this ain't like porting games to Amiga, if you know what I'm saying. Things will have to be stepped up quite a bit.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

It sounds like this project may have been under development for anything up to the last 3 years, so I'm guessing a lot of effort has been put into it. We'll just have to wait and see what the final results are like, of course.
thphwh
Director
Director

Post by thphwh »

Looking at the graphics on the website, I think there will be graphics like zBase and a dumbed interface. I hope the mechanics stay the same.
Edit:
*Ahem* The guy was hoping for a game that wasn't freemium.
Attachments
itworsens.png
itworsens.png (6.64 KiB) Viewed 4631 times
TinyMusic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TinyMusic »

Transport Tycoon wrote:we’re thrilled that you’re so excited! TRANSPORT TYCOON for iOS and Android will have over 150 unique vehicles, including steam trains, aircrafts, supersonic aircrafts and bullet trains. We KNOW you'll be happy with it.
I wonder what these vehicles are called. Are they going to be copies of real-life vehicles, or totally imaginary ones?

I'm also wondering, why has Chris Sawyer suddenly wants to restart a 15-year-old game? Especially since it's very buggy, lack a lot of feature, no updates since, and most importantly people would rather play improved versions of the game?

Maybe because the money he earned from RCT ran out? :lol:
Formerly known as UseYourIllusion.
Java Scenario Found Here - Version 2 out
[tweɪ̂ pû tɕʰì wɔ̀ mǐlɤ lû tɕʰìŋ nì pɑ́ŋmɑ̌ŋ]
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

UseYourIllusion,
Suddenly? He said ten years ago that he wanted to do this.

What if that screenshot was not a misstake and he actually has NewGRF support?
All he needs to to is implement the hooks and not distribute the ones he has no right to (or just not distribute any at all)?
Pure speculation ofcourse ...

I was going to say something in ralation to NewGRFs and popcorn but instead I shall just post the smiley. :twisted:
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

ChillCore wrote:I was going to say something in ralation to NewGRFs and popcorn but instead I shall just post the smiley. :twisted:
What have you got against popcorn? ... Oh! ... Wait! ... GMO!!! :evil: ... Who wants my popcorn? :P
Last edited by wallyweb on 18 Jul 2013 10:37, edited 1 time in total.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

thphwh wrote:Looking at the graphics on the website, I think there will be graphics like zBase and a dumbed interface. I hope the mechanics stay the same.
Edit:
*Ahem* The guy was hoping for a game that wasn't freemium.
They said elsewhere in that thread on FB that it will be premium.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

roboboy wrote: They said elsewhere in that thread on FB that it will be premium.
And in english that means?
You know what rock I have been hiding under and I am clueless really.

Edit:
@wallyweb,
Spare popcorn overhere ... I ordered for the public anyway. ;)
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
klaidez
Engineer
Engineer

Post by klaidez »

The graphics on that article from computerandvideogames.com are not from the game. They just grabbed a random printscreen from google images. Just try google image "transport tycoon". The first result: http://www.citizengame.co.uk/wp-content ... 01/tdd.png
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

ChillCore wrote:Spare popcorn overhere ... I ordered for the public anyway. ;)
I hope its not that genetically modified Monsanto stuff. :roll:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Do we know if this port will be TT, or more TTD, or perhaps (as i assume its a rewrite job) incorporating entirely new and updated features we've gotten used to in OpenTTD? Or are they yet to divulge this sort of info?

I hope they 'forget' to include Toyland too :roll:

Also, nice to know C. Sawyer is still around and out there!
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

Jolteon wrote:Do we know if this port will be TT, or more TTD, or perhaps (as i assume its a rewrite job) incorporating entirely new and updated features we've gotten used to in OpenTTD? Or are they yet to divulge this sort of info?

I hope they 'forget' to include Toyland too :roll:

Also, nice to know C. Sawyer is still around and out there!
They have yet to reveal any of that info. It most likely is a rewrite though as neither platform it is coming out supports X86 ASM code.

Edit:
Is http://www.chrissawyergames.com still his current website or is it considered that a website (which doesn't appear to exist) for 31X Ltd would be the current website?
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

orudge wrote:The full press release has a bit more information on 31X Ltd, Chris Sawyer's new company:
About 31X 31X Ltd was formed by Chris Sawyer in 2010 to develop TRANSPORT TYCOON for the new generation of social and mobile platforms. Chris also developed ROLLERCOASTER TYCOON, released through Hasbro Interactive early in 1999, followed by two add-on packs Added Attractions and Corkscrew Follies in late 1999 and Loopy Landscapes in September 2000. ROLLERCOASTER TYCOON 2 soon followed and was released through Infogrames Interactive in 2002. The ROLLERCOASTER TYCOON series remains the largest selling PC only game.

Chris Sawyer is 31X's CEO, Creator and Executive Producer. He is joined by Jacqui Lyons, Executive Producer, John Hurlbut, Executive Producer, Hetal Bhuva, Producer and Guy Herbert, Legal Consultant. Chris Sawyer entered the games industry in 1983, writing games in Z80 machine code on the Memotech MTX home computer, and then the Amstrad CPC series home computer. From 1988 to 1993, Chris worked on PC conversions of Amiga games and was involved in many well-known projects, including Virus (1989), Campaign (1992), Birds of Prey (1992), Dino Dini's Goal (1993), and Frontier Elite 2 (1993).

Since 1993, Chris has been developing his own original games on the PC. In 2010, Chris had the opportunity of reverting the MicroProse license and decided that this would be the perfect time to re-design and master his classic game for mobiles and tablets so that it could be enjoyed both by its huge number of fans and a new generation of players. Chris wants TYCOON lovers across the world to enjoy the experience of playing the game on an iPhone, iPad, and Android.
Also, some information from Origin8's blog.
Sorry for the double post, but I notice Jacqui Lyon's was involved with the original game. She is listed in the TTO Demo's credits.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Jacqui Lyons started Marjacq Micro, who have represented Chris Sawyer for many years, and still do - indeed, Chris Sawyer appears to be their only client now.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

Aha. Looking forward to seeing if the music is still Broomhall's and the graphics are in the style of Simon Foster.
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonty-comp »

Nope - looks like it's actually going to be Locomotion for mobile: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1965 ... _games.php
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

I suspect he wanted to release Locomotion as TT but couldn't. Still looking forward to it.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Really, Locomotion? What makes you think of that? Totally looks like TT ...

Disappointing. Mainly I feel this is somewhat dishonest - if something is labeled as TT I expect it to contain TT. Not Lomo or whatever else :|

btw:
That screen is really weird. Quite a few graphical glitches... and somehow looks cut together ^^;

Return to “Transport Tycoon (2013)”