Transport Tycoon to be "revitalised" for iOS and Android

Talk about the new mobile version of Transport Tycoon (for iOS and Android) released in 2013.
WWTBAM

Re: Transport Tycoon to be "revitalised" for iOS and Android

Post by WWTBAM »

I believe he doesn't like it or TTDPatch.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

planetmaker wrote:
Purno wrote: [...] Any chance Chris Sawyer will use some bits of OpenTTD? :P
That will mean he has to go open-source, has to apply the GPL v2 to his code and project. That is very unlikely.
Would be interesting to watch OpenTTD developers sueing CS over copyright issues. Might need a large order of popcorn.

regards
Michael
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

roboboy wrote:I believe he doesn't like it or TTDPatch.
Not sure about that. The Locomotion manual had a nice foreword that could only refer to the use of TTDPatch/OpenTTD but didn't mention them by name.
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonty-comp »

Unfortunately most iOS/Android ports of classic games like TTD are rubbish. I hope they don't dumb it down too much, or worse, add a "connect to your Facebook friends and get exclusive train models!".

I believe orudge invited Lord Sawyer to a meet once, but he declined. :P
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

jonty-comp wrote:I hope they don't dumb it down too much, or worse, add a "connect to your Facebook friends and get exclusive train models!".
Oh lord, I hope not. :roll:
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
Roman
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Roman »

The most interesting parts, in my opinion, are:
In 2010, Chris had the opportunity of reverting the MicroProse license
Transport Tycoon © 1994, 2013 31X Ltd. Created by Chris Sawyer. Transport Tycoon ® Chris Sawyer. All rights reserved.
I guess those statements put our long-yet-unsuccessful search for the legal owner of the "Transport Tycoon" trademark to an end. :)
Last edited by Roman on 15 Jul 2013 18:47, edited 1 time in total.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

Michael Blunck wrote:
planetmaker wrote:
Purno wrote: [...] Any chance Chris Sawyer will use some bits of OpenTTD? :P
That will mean he has to go open-source, has to apply the GPL v2 to his code and project. That is very unlikely.
Would be interesting to watch OpenTTD developers sueing CS over copyright issues. Might need a large order of popcorn.

regards
Michael
Buckets of popcorn.
Especially since I would be willing to dual license my ideas/code if ever he could use any of it ... :mrgreen:

Regards
ChillCore.
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

From what I've read on the forums over the years from a few people who have been in touch with him, or through associates, he's aware of TTDPatch and isn't happy that it exists, but hasn't taken any action to discourage it. He considers TTD to be exactly as it was intended, bugs, gameplay flaws and all. It's probably a good guess that he knows about OpenTTD.
TinyMusic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TinyMusic »

orudge wrote:A forum may be created here in time, when more information about the game is released.
No need, there is already a "Transport Tycoon" section in the forum :mrgreen:
Formerly known as UseYourIllusion.
Java Scenario Found Here - Version 2 out
[tweɪ̂ pû tɕʰì wɔ̀ mǐlɤ lû tɕʰìŋ nì pɑ́ŋmɑ̌ŋ]
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

Born Acorn wrote:
roboboy wrote:I believe he doesn't like it or TTDPatch.
Not sure about that. The Locomotion manual had a nice foreword that could only refer to the use of TTDPatch/OpenTTD but didn't mention them by name.
Well it talks about people still playing TT 10 years after it was released without mentioning (O)TTD(P), but clearly he would know one of them is being used on modern OSes. He also talks about not liking to create perfect games as he feels that they then do have any individuality and so on.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

Well TTD sure has spirit ... in the form of ghost mountains.

The firts time I saw one of them moving hills I was like "what the flying freckles is that hill doing?"
Then I found out it was the cheaty AI and I started talking to the mountain ... "Stay! I am going go build a line there!".
Good times when thinking about it.
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

ChillCore wrote:Well TTD sure has spirit ... in the form of ghost mountains.

The firts time I saw one of them moving hills I was like "what the flying freckles is that hill doing?"
Then I found out it was the cheaty AI and I started talking to the mountain ... "Stay! I am going go build a line there!".
Lol.

I wonder if the game will use GRFs for it's graphics, then we can go back to exes and grds.
TinyMusic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TinyMusic »

roboboy wrote:

Lol.

I wonder if the game will use GRFs for it's graphics, then we can go back to exes and grds.
Aren't GRFs copyrighted?
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

UseYourIllusion wrote:
roboboy wrote:

Lol.

Aren't GRFs copyrighted?
The format can be reused and we have the tools somewhere in the community for creating exes that patch the base TTD GRFs with new sprites as that's how it was done before TTDPatch gained the ability to load NewGRFs
JacobD88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by JacobD88 »

Well i hope they've put all the budget on the game if they are using a free mailing list provider that exceeds its limit...
MailingListError1.png
MailingListError1.png (17.45 KiB) Viewed 4635 times
Other than that, interesting news :))

Looking forward to how this all pans out
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

I read that it wioo come with 40 scenarios. I will post a link to the article in the morning.
Edit: Managed to copy it on the tablet http://www.rtsguru.com/article/6213/Cla ... obile.html
Killer 11
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Killer 11 »

That doesn't sound like Transport Tycoon at all actually, unless they have no idea what they're talking about.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

jonty-comp wrote:Unfortunately most iOS/Android ports of classic games like TTD are rubbish. I hope they don't dumb it down too much, or worse, add a "connect to your Facebook friends and get exclusive train models!".

Well on it's Facebook page, they have said it will be a premium game not a freemium game.
TinyMusic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TinyMusic »

roboboy wrote:
jonty-comp wrote:Unfortunately most iOS/Android ports of classic games like TTD are rubbish. I hope they don't dumb it down too much, or worse, add a "connect to your Facebook friends and get exclusive train models!".

Well on it's Facebook page, they have said it will be a premium game not a freemium game.
Someone can always pirate them :mrgreen:

Unless there's going to be those DRMs :|
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

UseYourIllusion wrote:Someone can always pirate them :mrgreen:
Mobile games tend not to be expensive, I would rather not see any talk of pirating them on here please.

If you want Chris Sawyer to develop more games in the future, then paying a couple of quid for his new game is surely not too much to ask!

If he'd been able to put up a patched version of Transport Tycoon (supporting modern versions of Windows) for digital download for, say, £5, he'd probably have made a few bob or two over the past decade or so. I guess he couldn't do any such thing until he got the rights back from MicroProse (or its successors) though.

Return to “Transport Tycoon (2013)”