Transport Tycoon to be "revitalised" for iOS and Android

Talk about the new mobile version of Transport Tycoon (for iOS and Android) released in 2013.
Phreeze
Director
Director

Re: Transport Tycoon to be "revitalised" for iOS and Android

Post by Phreeze »

imho the game will fail like i donno what....

- no precision at all: you dont want to zoom in with your finger to build tracks etc. i tried it with openttd on my nexus7, it's just stupid. it's slow and going on your nerves..with a bluetooth mouse, it feels nice, but IOS != mouse-support (i think).
- screens are much to small: no overview, no room for windows etc.
vinaximus
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by vinaximus »

IMO
Betas are only for testing and we cannot reach to conclusions now
Good day building rails
TinyMusic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TinyMusic »

Phreeze wrote:imho the game will fail like i donno what....

- no precision at all: you dont want to zoom in with your finger to build tracks etc. i tried it with openttd on my nexus7, it's just stupid. it's slow and going on your nerves..with a bluetooth mouse, it feels nice, but IOS != mouse-support (i think).
Then use an Android emulator for PC, been mentioned a few pages behind this one
Formerly known as UseYourIllusion.
Java Scenario Found Here - Version 2 out
[tweɪ̂ pû tɕʰì wɔ̀ mǐlɤ lû tɕʰìŋ nì pɑ́ŋmɑ̌ŋ]
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

As far as precision goes, I think it's just up to the user to adjust. Also consider that the iPad's 2048x1536 is the same 4:3 as the base resolution for Locomotion, not to mention 10.24 times more detailed. This will make up for the small screen size, in my opinion.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

I have played OpenTTD on 4.9 inch screen, screen and game resolution 1280x720 , it still does a good work for me.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
TinyMusic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TinyMusic »

YNM wrote:

I have played OpenTTD on 4.9 inch screen, screen and game resolution 1280x720 , it still does a good work for me.
Really? Even on a 10 inch Samsung Galaxy Tab, it is still very hard to play, because of the touch screen.
Formerly known as UseYourIllusion.
Java Scenario Found Here - Version 2 out
[tweɪ̂ pû tɕʰì wɔ̀ mǐlɤ lû tɕʰìŋ nì pɑ́ŋmɑ̌ŋ]
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

The new Transport Tycoon will have a much better mobile/tablet interface than OpenTTD, don't worry.
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

And OTTD can steal ideas from it! :twisted:
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

UseYourIllusion wrote:
YNM wrote:

Really? Even on a 10 inch Samsung Galaxy Tab, it is still very hard to play, because of the touch screen.
It's really easy once you're used to the touching response offset. :wink:

Also edit : it's actually 4.8 inch (this device)
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Illioplius
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Illioplius »

For some reason, official TT2013 Facebook page shares such screenshots of the new game that are rather unplesant – they show weird building attempts of AIs and even glitches (large road curve next to the slope). For example, this new screenshot:
Reduntant roads, unnecessary bridges, chaotic tram tracks... Quite a disappointment.
Roman
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Roman »

Illioplius wrote:For some reason, official TT2013 Facebook page shares such screenshots of the new game that are rather unplesant – they show weird building attempts of AIs and even glitches (large road curve next to the slope). [...] Reduntant roads, unnecessary bridges, chaotic tram tracks... Quite a disappointment.
Looks like Origin8 did a good job at "recreating and restoring" each and every detail of Sawyer's original code... :roll:
Last edited by Roman on 10 Sep 2013 09:50, edited 1 time in total.
Mainline421
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mainline421 »

Does this match what you saw at the meet?
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

Roman wrote: Looks like Origin8 did a job job at "recreating and restoring" each and every detail of Sawyer's original code... :roll:
That was the plan no? At least as a first release ...
The screenshot you are refering to is not the final product, it looks very much like something I would produce myself when I am testing object placement to check for possible problems while debugging.
Why so negative?

Mainline421 wrote: Does this match what you saw at the meet?
I was not there but judging from the reflections in someones glasses (in the few photos that were posted) ... I'd say that looks more like it yes. :mrgreen:
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
Roman
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Roman »

ChillCore wrote:
Roman wrote: Looks like Origin8 did a [good] job at "recreating and restoring" each and every detail of Sawyer's original code... :roll:
That was the plan no? [...] Why so negative?
Indeed, they said it was. But I must ask if this is the right/best thing to do. We've all seen better with TTDPatch and OpenTTD. It's open source, and it has been out there for quite a while. Why not learn from others? Let's face it: They are trying to sell a product here. A product of which a (perhaps) better variant is freely available. Admittedly, it's probably hard to create something that's better than what a whole bunch of dedicated fans can do. But honestly, if I were them, I would feel a bit embarassed to release a game with such poor AI in 2013 to a crowd that has seen so much better... :wink:

But you're right, I shouldn't judge before it's out, I give you that.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

The thing is ...

- They have to first try and recreate the original code in an easier to manage language; they are more then 1 person now.
- They are but a small team while (Open)TTD(Patch) has had many many contributors during the last couple of years while MR. Sawyer has been dead in the water for many years. This is not the place to go into details about that IHMO.
- I am not so sure if it was an AI that produced the screenshots; eg. a bridge going up an then down on the next tile without actually going over something.
- Glitchy graphics ... I think the man has more pride than that but the code is not finalised; it was not when those first pictures were posted and maybe it is still not.
- They did state that more extension to the code may be comming after the initial release of Transport Tycoon 2013.
- They can not blatantly copy code from OpenTTD without getting into trouble, they can use ideas and make their own versions of it.

Considering all of the above the comparison with OpenTTD (and TTDPatch) is rather unfair and puts a lot of expectations on their shoulders; expectations they will not be able to fullfill any time soon. Last time I looked OpenTTD carries more then 60 years of development time and that was years ago.

I do not want to sound like a fanboy but this is how I feel about him being back in busseniss:
Even if he produces a smiling turd (figure of speech) I will be happy and I am more then delighted to see him back into producing games after all this time.
I will buy his new game (at least once), only to show him that I would like him to continue after this adventure. ;)

Regards,
A MR. Sawyer's productions fan.

Ps:
When looking back at my almost 35 years of gaming career ... there are very few games that stood out of the masses like RCT (1 & 2 ) and TT(D) did and do to date.
Some have tried to make his games and ideas better and even more failed to do so.
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

ChillCore wrote:- I am not so sure if it was an AI that produced the screenshots; eg. a bridge going up an then down on the next tile without actually going over something.
I am. If it's anything like the Locomotion AI which it appears to mirror, then that little bump is the least of your problems. Once again, there had better be a scenario editor; I'm fed up with the AI.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

ChillCore wrote:The thing is ...

- They have to first try and recreate the original code in an easier to manage language; they are more then 1 person now.
- They are but a small team while (Open)TTD(Patch) has had many many contributors during the last couple of years while MR. Sawyer has been dead in the water for many years. This is not the place to go into details about that IHMO.
- I am not so sure if it was an AI that produced the screenshots; eg. a bridge going up an then down on the next tile without actually going over something.
- Glitchy graphics ... I think the man has more pride than that but the code is not finalised; it was not when those first pictures were posted and maybe it is still not.
- They did state that more extension to the code may be comming after the initial release of Transport Tycoon 2013.
Well, of course, it's a whole new work. Now the only question remains : is it developed natively on iOS and Android (which means full conversion into C# and/or Java, and so complete rewrite) ? Because if they wanted it in assembly, it may could've been a go on Android, depends on libs availability for linux/unix systems. (iOS is derived from OSX, which in turn derived from BSD, but none have tracked it as of now)
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Roman
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Roman »

They've already mentioned that it's a complete rewrite. Which makes me be even more surprised that they're apparently not at least attempting to improve on the obvious flaws of TT/Locomotion.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Mainline421 wrote:Image
Does this match what you saw at the meet?
I would say this has been improved since the meet - but essentially is the same.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

Is anyone involved in coding besides Chris himself?

Return to “Transport Tycoon (2013)”