Transport Tycoon to be "revitalised" for iOS and Android

Talk about the new mobile version of Transport Tycoon (for iOS and Android) released in 2013.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Transport Tycoon to be "revitalised" for iOS and Android

Post by orudge »

According to EuroGamer, "Classic management sim Transport Tycoon has been given a fresh MOT for release on iOS and Android devices this year."

Chris Sawyer is apparently overseeing a port of Transport Tycoon to mobile devices. Apparently, "a trailer and reveal website are due to go live on TransportTycoon.com later today - we'll keep an eye out for any new information."

Ironically, the screenshot EuroGamer have used is of OpenTTD, rather than classic TTD.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Transport Tycoon to be "revitalised" for iOS and Android

Post by ChillCore »

EuroGamer wrote: Transport Tycoon creator Chris Sawyer is back overseeing the project
Does this mean .... he's back to stay? Yay!

I really am curious to see how he will handle the menus ... just curious you know.
A little buddy of mine is on holidays and tried that android version of OpenTTD out there on his mobile phone ... needless to say that did not go to well.
My father tried on his tablet a few years back ... even I had trouble and his sight is way worse then mine.

As for the implications this may have on OpenTTD ... only good things I hope.

The screenshot being one of OpenTTD is unfortunate to say the least.

*Hawkeye me keeps on this (with a positive mindset).
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
TinyMusic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TinyMusic »

orudge wrote:Ironically, the screenshot EuroGamer have used is of OpenTTD, rather than classic TTD.
I thought that was TTDPatch.
ChillCore wrote:
EuroGamer wrote: Transport Tycoon creator Chris Sawyer is back overseeing the project
Does this mean .... he's back to stay? Yay!
When was the last time he released something or interact with the public anyway? 2005?
ChillCore wrote:I really am curious to see how he will handle the menus ... just curious you know.
A little buddy of mine is on holidays and tried that android version of OpenTTD out there on his mobile phone ... needless to say that did not go to well.
My father tried on his tablet a few years back ... even I had trouble and his sight is way worse then mine.
It's almost impossible to play on touch-screen, even on the tablets. You can't use hotkeys, since there is no physical keyboard, so you can't do things like making shared-orders (which I rely on a lot).
Formerly known as UseYourIllusion.
Java Scenario Found Here - Version 2 out
[tweɪ̂ pû tɕʰì wɔ̀ mǐlɤ lû tɕʰìŋ nì pɑ́ŋmɑ̌ŋ]
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

UseYourIllusion wrote:I thought that was TTDPatch.
Nope, it has a fast forward button. Indeed, it's also using NewShips and a bunch of other GRFs.
UseYourIllusion wrote:When was the last time he released something or interact with the public anyway? 2005?
His web site was last updated in 2007, but there have been occasional news articles mentioning him over the years.

The transporttycoon.com web site is now up (with a new logo), along with a trailer. The trailer, however, doesn't actually show any gameplay!
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

I really hope that it will not result in rabid lawyers running around OpenTTD.

EDIT: Linked website is now active.
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

Maybe it will have an ingame link to bananas in time Kogut, who knows ... :mrgreen:
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

ChillCore wrote:Maybe it will have an ingame link to bananas in time Kogut, who knows ... :mrgreen:
Hehe
I wonder if it will be patchable :twisted: In all seriousness, I am looking forward to it, but the video on the website doesn't realy show much.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
tb2571989
Director
Director

Post by tb2571989 »

eep. Sorry, Owen, I did search but didn't think to look here.

My first thoughts is that someone had taken OpenTTD and was releasing it as their own product but after seeing the website it looks like an actual Sawyer-backed game.
What about you? Will you join me when the time comes to be a hero?
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

Will we get a new forum in this group for it :?:
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

I'm in contact with a representative of the company developing this game - it is indeed (as the press releases have stated) being supervised by Chris Saweyer. Obviously, Transport Tycoon was written in assembly language, so I guess this must be a complete rewrite. It'll be interesting to see how much of the original game is ported across, or if it's basically a different game with the same name.

A forum may be created here in time, when more information about the game is released.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

I vaguely remember the playstation version having 3D ? :shock: ?

Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

orudge wrote:Obviously, Transport Tycoon was written in assembly language, so I guess this must be a complete rewrite.
Whereas OpenTTD is open source. Any chance Chris Sawyer will use some bits of OpenTTD? :P
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Purno wrote:
orudge wrote:Obviously, Transport Tycoon was written in assembly language, so I guess this must be a complete rewrite.
Whereas OpenTTD is open source. Any chance Chris Sawyer will use some bits of OpenTTD? :P
That will mean he has to go open-source, has to apply the GPL v2 to his code and project. That is very unlikely.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

True.

Well, even though I don't have a phone to play this kind of games, I'm curious to see what the game will be like. I hope it's closer to TT than to Locomotion :P
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

My guess (and it's purely a guess) is that if this is legitimate, the game has all-new code and new graphics, the interface and controls will be more simple and touch screen friendly, and a simpler gameplay.
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

planetmaker wrote:
Purno wrote:
That will mean he has to go open-source, has to apply the GPL v2 to his code and project. That is very unlikely.
There is still (tiny) possibility of using some ideas and improvements - without reusing any code and going open source.
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

The full press release has a bit more information on 31X Ltd, Chris Sawyer's new company:
About 31X 31X Ltd was formed by Chris Sawyer in 2010 to develop TRANSPORT TYCOON for the new generation of social and mobile platforms. Chris also developed ROLLERCOASTER TYCOON, released through Hasbro Interactive early in 1999, followed by two add-on packs Added Attractions and Corkscrew Follies in late 1999 and Loopy Landscapes in September 2000. ROLLERCOASTER TYCOON 2 soon followed and was released through Infogrames Interactive in 2002. The ROLLERCOASTER TYCOON series remains the largest selling PC only game.

Chris Sawyer is 31X's CEO, Creator and Executive Producer. He is joined by Jacqui Lyons, Executive Producer, John Hurlbut, Executive Producer, Hetal Bhuva, Producer and Guy Herbert, Legal Consultant. Chris Sawyer entered the games industry in 1983, writing games in Z80 machine code on the Memotech MTX home computer, and then the Amstrad CPC series home computer. From 1988 to 1993, Chris worked on PC conversions of Amiga games and was involved in many well-known projects, including Virus (1989), Campaign (1992), Birds of Prey (1992), Dino Dini's Goal (1993), and Frontier Elite 2 (1993).

Since 1993, Chris has been developing his own original games on the PC. In 2010, Chris had the opportunity of reverting the MicroProse license and decided that this would be the perfect time to re-design and master his classic game for mobiles and tablets so that it could be enjoyed both by its huge number of fans and a new generation of players. Chris wants TYCOON lovers across the world to enjoy the experience of playing the game on an iPhone, iPad, and Android.
Also, some information from Origin8's blog.
thphwh
Director
Director

Post by thphwh »

Does Chris Sawyer know about OpenTTD?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

thphwh wrote:Does Chris Sawyer know about OpenTTD?
Unless you think that he's either stupid or blind [edit]unable to search for "Transport Tycoon"[/edit], you can bet on that.
thphwh
Director
Director

Post by thphwh »

How do you think he feels about it?

Return to “Transport Tycoon (2013)”