Transport Tycoon to be "revitalised" for iOS and Android

Talk about the new mobile version of Transport Tycoon (for iOS and Android) released in 2013.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Transport Tycoon to be "revitalised" for iOS and Android

Post by wallyweb »

kamnet wrote:I got a feeling that many people who have been spoiled by the hacking and patching of OpenTTD and Locomotion are going to be very frustrated and disappointed in the new mobile Transport Tycoon.
Not to forget the "hacking and patching" of TTDPatch.
As with the original CD, this mobile edition will probably be very basic (extremely few settings) so that the newbie buying it will be able to understand the gameplay right out of the box.
What will happen is that a lot of new people will be attracted to the genre and will search high and low for mods etc. Look for a rush of new forum members. Be sure to put your "be nice to newbies" hats on. :D
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

kamnet wrote:It's Chris Sawyer's Transport Tycoon. Which both he and the developer announced will retain the SAME gameplay from the old PC version, but based on ENTIRELY NEW CODE.
I'd call it "officially reverse-engineered TTD".
EDIT : Or officially reverse-engineered Locomotion / RCT.
wallyweb wrote:What will happen is that a lot of new people will be attracted to the genre and will search high and low for mods etc. Look for a rush of new forum members. Be sure to put your "be nice to newbies" hats on. :D
Or we could implement an enforced version of this. Would help the mods by so much maybe.
Last edited by YNM on 17 Aug 2013 14:48, edited 1 time in total.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

YNM wrote:
kamnet wrote:It's Chris Sawyer's Transport Tycoon. Which both he and the developer announced will retain the SAME gameplay from the old PC version, but based on ENTIRELY NEW CODE.
I'd call it "officially reverse-engineered TTD". :mrgreen:
So, you're a beta tester and you've already been able to decompile the code?
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

No I'm not
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

kamnet wrote:
*bangs head against wall*

This isn't Locomotion ported to mobile.
This isn't OpenTTD.
This isn't TTDPatch.

It's Chris Sawyer's Transport Tycoon. Which both he and the developer announced will retain the SAME gameplay from the old PC version, but based on ENTIRELY NEW CODE. You're not going to be able to throw NARS or any other NewGRF on it, because he NEVER developed TTD to have those capabilities to begin with. They've also announced that there is NOT going to be any upgrade/add-ons, and why would you for a mobile app anyhow? Package management is already messy enough on Android, at the very least. I dunno if it's even possible on iOS. This is going to be a "one and done" deal, outside of upgrades to the game as a whole.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
It's locomotion, with new code.
kamnet wrote:I got a feeling that many people who have been spoiled by the hacking and patching of OpenTTD and Locomotion are going to be very frustrated and disappointed in the new mobile Transport Tycoon.
If the game doesn't allow mods, I will not be interested.

Mods are the most interesting part for me.

PS: Locomotion allows the usage of your own DAT files, they aren't "hacks" or patches.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

I did ask if there would be any possibility of custom content, and while it won't be in the initial version, it's not been ruled out entirely.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

If there's a mod system developed for games natively developed in Android & iOS, that's be a huge improvement. I'm not sure anyway how the iOS ones would work.
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

I'm glad I get an iPad through school, though I'm sure this isn't what they had in mind :P
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

LocoRoller wrote:I'm glad I get an iPad through school, though I'm sure this isn't what they had in mind :P
Are you kidding? TTD is ideal for modeling the economy for your Economic studies. Use lots of screenshots in your term papers. 8)
Twyster
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Twyster »

YNM wrote:
wallyweb wrote:What will happen is that a lot of new people will be attracted to the genre and will search high and low for mods etc. Look for a rush of new forum members. Be sure to put your "be nice to newbies" hats on. :D
Or we could implement an enforced version of this. Would help the mods by so much maybe.
Remember THIS, YNM? I get the feeling you think you're so superior to everyone else because you know everything about the community already. Don't. That XDA-developers site is, to put it in as clean a term as I can, a bunch of jerks.

"Noob" does not mean "new". Noob means you have been around for weeks, months or even years and refuse to conform to the etiquette of the site and the internet in general, and thus deserve bad treatment. A "newbie", someone who is genuinely new to the community, should not be told they are worthless until they have "proven" themselves. They can be told that they are on probation and that if they really screw up they'll be kicked out, but only because some sites have trouble with spambots and trolls. They can be told that they must not make the same mistake twice after being warned, and that effort should be made to discover what is and isn't okay. They can most definitely be told that specifically demanding (not just politely asking and accepting no for an answer) that the developers do as they want is not cool.

But please do not tell people that they can't ask questions, or that they are worthless until proven worthy. That is not an order, obviously; I have no authority. But if I am correct in my assumption that you actually believe what you have preached, I feel I should make it clear that I do not want to see this kind of behavior in any community, and I will go to a mod if I have to. No matter how many newbies there are, you should not be lazy and say they must fend for themselves, or the community will eventually wither and die without new members.

If on the other hand you've been joking around, which I doubt but must admit is a possibility, then you may disregard this message. Just take note that not everyone considers it "funny".

Oh, and thanks for being reasonable, wallyweb.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Twyster wrote:
YNM wrote:
Remember THIS, YNM? I get the feeling you think you're so superior to everyone else because you know everything about the community already. Don't. That XDA-developers site is, to put it in as clean a term as I can, a bunch of jerks.

"Noob" does not mean "new". Noob means you have been around for weeks, months or even years and refuse to conform to the etiquette of the site and the internet in general, and thus deserve bad treatment. A "newbie", someone who is genuinely new to the community, should not be told they are worthless until they have "proven" themselves. They can be told that they are on probation and that if they really screw up they'll be kicked out, but only because some sites have trouble with spambots and trolls. They can be told that they must not make the same mistake twice after being warned, and that effort should be made to discover what is and isn't okay. They can most definitely be told that specifically demanding (not just politely asking and accepting no for an answer) that the developers do as they want is not cool.

But please do not tell people that they can't ask questions, or that they are worthless until proven worthy. That is not an order, obviously; I have no authority. But if I am correct in my assumption that you actually believe what you have preached, I feel I should make it clear that I do not want to see this kind of behavior in any community, and I will go to a mod if I have to. No matter how many newbies there are, you should not be lazy and say they must fend for themselves, or the community will eventually wither and die without new members.

If on the other hand you've been joking around, which I doubt but must admit is a possibility, then you may disregard this message. Just take note that not everyone considers it "funny".

Oh, and thanks for being reasonable, wallyweb.
Fine.

Mmhm, could still be a good countermeasure for spammers, counting that our forums isn't as popular as that, for the worth of each ad !
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

YNM wrote: counting that our forums isn't as popular as that
The hundreds an hundreds of spammers that register here seem to disagree with you.
Please tell me, how many page hits were there exactly yesterday between say 4 am and 10 am, just curious?
could still be a good countermeasure for spammers
what would be? Telling someone he is a noob, which is an insult in my dictionary, even before he gets the chance to post something?

Last thing ... while reading back some of the topics here ... please for the love of The LORD ... stop asking for cracked versions and stop encouraging people to go there.
Nothing against you but just think before you post maybe?

Must ... get ... tablet.
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Please, can we bring this back on-topic?
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

orudge wrote:Please, can we bring this back on-topic?
I see ChillCore's last line was cryptically on topic.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

I've been looking around, but I can't seem to find any sort of release date listed.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

The link that orudge provided in the first post sais "late 2013"

That could be as well oktober as december, but they are in beta now and depending on what kind of bugs the testers find it might be early or late late 2013.
I assume that if they find a bug that is serious enough that could be also early 2014?

Is anyone of the betatesters allowed to comment on actual gameplay?
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
Twyster
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Twyster »

roboboy wrote:
orudge wrote:Please, can we bring this back on-topic?
I see ChillCore's last line was cryptically on topic.
Mine wasn't though. I apologize. I only spoke up because I disliked the implications of that link.

In relevant news... Frankly, it looks like they simply reverse-engineered Locomotion and put the resultant clone on the mobile platforms. I didn't care for Locomotion much due to map size.

Picture this: To make a curve on TTD (such as the patch) it takes 1 square. To make a curve without slowing down in TTDPatch or OpenTTD, you need 2x2 squares. That's using the grid and 45-degree angle "curves" common to that system. In Locomotion, curves must be 3x3 to not slow trains down IIRC, and the smallest curve is 2x2.

Now look at map sizes. TTD and TTDPatch is 256x256, OpenTTD is 2048x2048 at maximum, and I find is better than 1024x1024 in the late game. Locomotion is back down to 256x256, but for the purposes of building railroads it is half as efficient. That means that Locomotion might as well be a graphically-improved 128x128 map with unpatched TTD rules.

Unless they increase the map size to 4096x4096, I won't give this game a second look.
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

Twyster wrote:Picture this: To make a curve on TTD (such as the patch) it takes 1 square. To make a curve without slowing down in TTDPatch or OpenTTD, you need 2x2 squares. That's using the grid and 45-degree angle "curves" common to that system. In Locomotion, curves must be 3x3 to not slow trains down IIRC, and the smallest curve is 2x2.
Even the widest curve will not prevent slowing down. The 2x2 will bring it down to 41mph, the 3x3 to 60mph (as well as the S-bend), and the 4x4 to 101mph.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

I'm glad that the topic goes back to normal. :o
Twyster wrote:Picture this: To make a curve on TTD (such as the patch) it takes 1 square. To make a curve without slowing down in TTDPatch or OpenTTD, you need 2x2 squares. That's using the grid and 45-degree angle "curves" common to that system. In Locomotion, curves must be 3x3 to not slow trains down IIRC, and the smallest curve is 2x2.
Not really. Unless you edited the .dat in Locomotion to raise this limit. There're also speed limits for larger "curves" in OpenTTD, counted by the number of bends in a consist.
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Twyster
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Twyster »

YNM wrote:I'm glad that the topic goes back to normal. :o
Not really. Unless you edited the .dat in Locomotion to raise this limit. There're also speed limits for larger "curves" in OpenTTD, counted by the number of bends in a consist.
I'll take your word for it. My memory is a little fuzzy: I own a copy of locomotion, but it won't run on my current x64 computer so I haven't played it in years.

Regardless, the curves are large enough that the map should be a minimum of 512x512 if it hopes to emulate the map size of it's predecessors/competitors.

Return to “Transport Tycoon (2013)”