Transport Tycoon to be "revitalised" for iOS and Android

Talk about the new mobile version of Transport Tycoon (for iOS and Android) released in 2013.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Transport Tycoon to be "revitalised" for iOS and Android

Post by Pyoro »

With Kickstarter and digital distribution around and all that it actually should be a really favorable environment for CS. Hopefully he uses this opportunity for something beyond that mobile thing (I'm not entirely convinced he does that much more than giving his name and consent ^^)
TinyMusic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TinyMusic »

orudge wrote:
UseYourIllusion wrote:Someone can always pirate them :mrgreen:
Mobile games tend not to be expensive, I would rather not see any talk of pirating them on here please.
To be honest, I've never downloaded an app that is not free
Formerly known as UseYourIllusion.
Java Scenario Found Here - Version 2 out
[tweɪ̂ pû tɕʰì wɔ̀ mǐlɤ lû tɕʰìŋ nì pɑ́ŋmɑ̌ŋ]
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

My next game purchase will be TTD ... it will come with an android tablet. :mrgreen:
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

... Guy Herbert, Legal Consultant.
/me grabs a bucket of popcorn and joins MB in the theatre. :mrgreen:
timfrombriz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by timfrombriz »

Looks like we now know where Chris Sawyer now actually lives (he is 31x's founding director registered on company records)...

Google Maps shows 31x 's registered address as some little laneway in Dublane.

http://www.companiesintheuk.co.uk/ltd/31x

This street has one side of little cottages, the other side of the road has some monster mansions. Many of the fences have names on them, I could not see one on Google Streetview of one that said Sawyer, but I'll keep looking.

Perhaps we should now consider a list of questions to confront him with, and get someone local to Dublane from here to go with a friend filming the moment of finding him and chatting with him and telling him he should actually interact with his fans a widdle bit more than never.
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

Because world needs more creepy stalking.
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

Are you trying to say we should stalk him ... in group?
That sounds like a great idea [/sarcasm]

Edit:
I get ninja'd a lot today ... hehe
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

timfrombriz wrote:Looks like we now know where Chris Sawyer now actually lives (he is 31x's founding director registered on company records)...

This street has one side of little cottages, the other side of the road has some monster mansions. Many of the fences have names on them, I could not see one on Google Streetview of one that said Sawyer, but I'll keep looking.

Perhaps we should now consider a list of questions to confront him with, and get someone local to Dublane from here to go with a friend filming the moment of finding him and chatting with him and telling him he should actually interact with his fans a widdle bit more than never.
Some members of this forum have known his address for many years as one of them sent a letter to him and got a reply.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
timfrombriz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by timfrombriz »

ChillCore wrote:Are you trying to say we should stalk him ... in group?
That sounds like a great idea [/sarcasm]

Edit:
I get ninja'd a lot today ... hehe

Why not? I think he owes the community of fans some degree of recognition, he has been entirely silent on that front for the life of his games. Excluding public announcments on his website and a few interviews with gaming magazines.

The closest thing that was community orientated was a reply to the Church of Transport Tycoon a decade ago;
http://nylon.net/ttd/bible/bible.htm

I really would like to know why he never interacts with his fans, is he socially inept (he did code his games almost entirely in assembler, so maybe he only speaks in machine code?), or does he think his fans are just dollar signs and nothing more, or does he have another reason?

Most actors, musicians and other forms of creative artists appreciate their fans and interact to some degree with them.

roboboy wrote:
Some members of this forum have known his address for many years as one of them sent a letter to him and got a reply.
Really? I've searched "Chris Sawyer" on this forum a few times over the years to see any news/developments and have never found anything about people successfully making contact with him. Got a link(s)?

Also, anyone willing to share his known postal address, drop me a private message as Id love to send him a snail mail letter. I have an original boxed TT unopened (from 1994) sealed in plastic along with a few opened copies, along with RCT, so I consider myself a dedicated fan of his game design.
Last edited by timfrombriz on 17 Jul 2013 15:05, edited 1 time in total.
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

timfrombriz wrote:I think he owes the community of fans some degree of recognition, he has been entirely silent on that front for the life of his games. Excluding public announcments on his website and a few interviews with gaming magazines.
He owes exactly nothing. There is extremely low danger that this will happen, but I would infuriated by people demanding that I will do something with them just because they liked my game/book/whatever.

It is on the level of telemarketers, but with dangerous self-entitlement instead of justifications like "it is my job". And following somebody in person is creepy and may end badly.
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

We want pictures! Getting really excited :o
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator
Transport Empire Moderator

Post by uzurpator »

Now this is kind of news that got my attention.

I am ambivalent to this. From one side, I think it is great that something about TT will get done, but I am afraid that vanilla TTD is kind of a poor game these days, after all the mods and patches by the community i consider TTD barely playable.

Also, note that Locomotion was a complete disaster.

On the other hand, I hope this TT is an attempt to test the waters before TT2 is announced.
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

timfrombriz wrote: Really? I've searched "Chris Sawyer" on this forum a few times over the years to see any news/developments and have never found anything about people successfully making contact with him. Got a link(s)?
If he never seemed to have replied, which he did btw, then that means perhaps that he does not really apreciate that.
I would like to find you going though my bins neither to find out what kind of cereals I like.
Also we recognize him and he owns us nothing at all.

Tablet ... thinking about a 22inch including a stand one and using it as secondary screen and OS when needed.
Too big for the couch?
Thoughts?
Last edited by ChillCore on 17 Jul 2013 15:11, edited 1 time in total.

TinyMusic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TinyMusic »

timfrombriz wrote:Looks like we now know where Chris Sawyer now actually lives (he is 31x's founding director registered on company records)...

More information on the company here: https://www.duedil.com/company/SC374055/31x-ltd
Formerly known as UseYourIllusion.
Java Scenario Found Here - Version 2 out
[tweɪ̂ pû tɕʰì wɔ̀ mǐlɤ lû tɕʰìŋ nì pɑ́ŋmɑ̌ŋ]
timfrombriz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by timfrombriz »

Kogut wrote:
timfrombriz wrote:I think he owes the community of fans some degree of recognition, he has been entirely silent on that front for the life of his games. Excluding public announcments on his website and a few interviews with gaming magazines.
He owes exactly nothing. There is extremely low danger that this will happen, but I would infuriated by people demanding that I will do something with them just because they liked my game/book/whatever.

It is on the level of telemarketers, but with dangerous self-entitlement instead of justifications like "it is my job". And following somebody in person is creepy and may end badly.
extremely low danger?! fans wanting to know what their favourite artists are doing, the same ballpark as telemarketers?

I think its rude to consider that he has never made himself known on these forums, or "publicly" acknowledged the existance of dedicated projects like OpenTTD. I think *correction* I know any artist gets satisfaction out of knowing their work is enjoyed by others; why not come and say hello once a year and tell his fans whats in the pipeline; if anything but for the fans, it'd be good marketing for him and his future releases.
Last edited by timfrombriz on 17 Jul 2013 15:17, edited 1 time in total.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

Here is a link to the thread that discussed the letter http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5340.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
timfrombriz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by timfrombriz »

roboboy wrote:Here is a link to the thread that discussed the letter http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5340.
Thanks for finding that! Appreciate it.

Anything more recent? This was from 2003.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

This is not exactly news. I wrote a letter to Chris Sawyer ten years ago.

I see after posting this that others have already pointed that out. Anyway, Chris Sawyer has been known to appreciate his privacy, and is obviously not one to interact with fans. That's his decision to make, and there is nothing that suggests he has to communicate with fans about trivial matters if he doesn't want to.
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

timfrombriz wrote:fans wanting to know what their favourite artists are doing, the same ballpark as telemarketers?
I am really happy to receive feedback about my AIAI.

But in (purely hypothetical situation) of people attempting to meet me, after clear information that I am not interested? This would result in me calling police/running away/hiring bodyguards/hurting stalkers (depending on availability, legality and effectiveness of mentioned solutions).
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
JacobD88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by JacobD88 »

Kogut wrote:He owes exactly nothing. There is extremely low danger that this will happen, but I would infuriated by people demanding that I will do something with them just because they liked my game/book/whatever.
Couldn't agree more!
timfrombriz wrote:extremely low danger?! fans wanting to know what their favourite artists are doing, the same ballpark as telemarketers?
I think its rude to consider that he has never made himself known on these forums, or "publicly" acknowledged the existance of dedicated projects like OpenTTD. I think *correction* I know any artist gets satisfaction out of knowing their work is enjoyed by others; why not come and say hello once a year and tell his fans whats in the pipeline; if anything but for the fans, it'd be good marketing for him and his future releases.
Timfrombriz, to you it may be rude, but it's still CS's choice, he has always been a private person, and if you read up on him the whole RCT3 payment fiasco caused him to retreat even more from the community following the end of legal proceedings.

To paraphrase what Kogut said, just because someone likes what you create, doesn't mean that you have an obligation to keep a dialogue with that fan, or even communicate with them.

Not everyone is obsessed with finding the next way to make money, and if any of the figures floating around the web are true, CS doesn't actually *need* any more money after the success of RCT. So i find it most likely a case that he is not really focussed on marketing or selling his next product to us beyond simply announcing it!

CS was one of the last great bedroom-programmers before the indie and open source movements came around; i have always held the impression that he codes games for as much his own interest as for any financial gain. You only have to see how TT2 development turned into RCT when he became more interested in roller-coasters than trains to more or less confirm this impression.

He codes what he enjoys, and if he's lucky and successful enough to do that, then i have nothing but respect for him.

I don't need to know what he is working on 24-7, i don't really need to know how is next project is coming along, all i am happy about is that he is still alive, and he still wants to make games. When they arrive i do not really care, because i am still enjoying his works, and the community successors to his work, some ~20 years on from when TTO (W/O World Editor) first arrived on my PC...

Return to “Transport Tycoon (2013)”