Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 3:16 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:32 am 
Administrator
Administrator

According to EuroGamer, "Classic management sim Transport Tycoon has been given a fresh MOT for release on iOS and Android devices this year."

Chris Sawyer is apparently overseeing a port of Transport Tycoon to mobile devices. Apparently, "a trailer and reveal website are due to go live on TransportTycoon.com later today - we'll keep an eye out for any new information."

Ironically, the screenshot EuroGamer have used is of OpenTTD, rather than classic TTD.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:46 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

EuroGamer wrote:
Transport Tycoon creator Chris Sawyer is back overseeing the project
Does this mean .... he's back to stay? Yay!

I really am curious to see how he will handle the menus ... just curious you know.
A little buddy of mine is on holidays and tried that android version of OpenTTD out there on his mobile phone ... needless to say that did not go to well.
My father tried on his tablet a few years back ... even I had trouble and his sight is way worse then mine.

As for the implications this may have on OpenTTD ... only good things I hope.

The screenshot being one of OpenTTD is unfortunate to say the least.

*Hawkeye me keeps on this (with a positive mindset).

--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:09 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

orudge wrote:
Ironically, the screenshot EuroGamer have used is of OpenTTD, rather than classic TTD.

I thought that was TTDPatch.

ChillCore wrote:
EuroGamer wrote:
Transport Tycoon creator Chris Sawyer is back overseeing the project
Does this mean .... he's back to stay? Yay!

When was the last time he released something or interact with the public anyway? 2005?

ChillCore wrote:
I really am curious to see how he will handle the menus ... just curious you know.
A little buddy of mine is on holidays and tried that android version of OpenTTD out there on his mobile phone ... needless to say that did not go to well.
My father tried on his tablet a few years back ... even I had trouble and his sight is way worse then mine.

It's almost impossible to play on touch-screen, even on the tablets. You can't use hotkeys, since there is no physical keyboard, so you can't do things like making shared-orders (which I rely on a lot).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:12 am 
Administrator
Administrator

UseYourIllusion wrote:
I thought that was TTDPatch.

Nope, it has a fast forward button. Indeed, it's also using NewShips and a bunch of other GRFs.

UseYourIllusion wrote:
When was the last time he released something or interact with the public anyway? 2005?

His web site was last updated in 2007, but there have been occasional news articles mentioning him over the years.

The transporttycoon.com web site is now up (with a new logo), along with a trailer. The trailer, however, doesn't actually show any gameplay!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:30 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

I really hope that it will not result in rabid lawyers running around OpenTTD.

EDIT: Linked website is now active.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:55 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Maybe it will have an ingame link to bananas in time Kogut, who knows ... :mrgreen:

--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:57 am 

ChillCore wrote:
Maybe it will have an ingame link to bananas in time Kogut, who knows ... :mrgreen:

Hehe
I wonder if it will be patchable :twisted: In all seriousness, I am looking forward to it, but the video on the website doesn't realy show much.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:07 am 
Director
Director

eep. Sorry, Owen, I did search but didn't think to look here.

My first thoughts is that someone had taken OpenTTD and was releasing it as their own product but after seeing the website it looks like an actual Sawyer-backed game.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:10 am 

Will we get a new forum in this group for it :?:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:36 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I'm in contact with a representative of the company developing this game - it is indeed (as the press releases have stated) being supervised by Chris Saweyer. Obviously, Transport Tycoon was written in assembly language, so I guess this must be a complete rewrite. It'll be interesting to see how much of the original game is ported across, or if it's basically a different game with the same name.

A forum may be created here in time, when more information about the game is released.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:41 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

I vaguely remember the playstation version having 3D ? :shock: ?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:44 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

orudge wrote:
Obviously, Transport Tycoon was written in assembly language, so I guess this must be a complete rewrite.

Whereas OpenTTD is open source. Any chance Chris Sawyer will use some bits of OpenTTD? :P

GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:47 am 
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Purno wrote:
orudge wrote:
Obviously, Transport Tycoon was written in assembly language, so I guess this must be a complete rewrite.

Whereas OpenTTD is open source. Any chance Chris Sawyer will use some bits of OpenTTD? :P

That will mean he has to go open-source, has to apply the GPL v2 to his code and project. That is very unlikely.

DevZone - home of the free NewGRFs: OpenSFX | OpenMSX | OpenGFX | Swedish Rails | OpenGFX+ Trains|RV|Industries|Airports|Landscape | NML

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:52 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

True.

Well, even though I don't have a phone to play this kind of games, I'm curious to see what the game will be like. I hope it's closer to TT than to Locomotion :P

GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:59 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

My guess (and it's purely a guess) is that if this is legitimate, the game has all-new code and new graphics, the interface and controls will be more simple and touch screen friendly, and a simpler gameplay.

Base Music Sets: OpenMSX | Scott Joplin Anthology | Traditional Winter Holiday Music | Modern Motion Music
Other Projects: 2CC Trams | Sprite Sandbox & NewGRF Releases | Ideabox | Town Names | Isle of Sodor Scenario | Random Sprite Repository
Misc Topics: My Screenshots | Forgotten NewGRFs | Unfinished Graphics Sets | Stats Shack | RoadTypes?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:49 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

planetmaker wrote:
Purno wrote:
orudge wrote:

That will mean he has to go open-source, has to apply the GPL v2 to his code and project. That is very unlikely.

There is still (tiny) possibility of using some ideas and improvements - without reusing any code and going open source.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:21 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

The full press release has a bit more information on 31X Ltd, Chris Sawyer's new company:

Quote:
About 31X 31X Ltd was formed by Chris Sawyer in 2010 to develop TRANSPORT TYCOON for the new generation of social and mobile platforms. Chris also developed ROLLERCOASTER TYCOON, released through Hasbro Interactive early in 1999, followed by two add-on packs Added Attractions and Corkscrew Follies in late 1999 and Loopy Landscapes in September 2000. ROLLERCOASTER TYCOON 2 soon followed and was released through Infogrames Interactive in 2002. The ROLLERCOASTER TYCOON series remains the largest selling PC only game.

Chris Sawyer is 31X's CEO, Creator and Executive Producer. He is joined by Jacqui Lyons, Executive Producer, John Hurlbut, Executive Producer, Hetal Bhuva, Producer and Guy Herbert, Legal Consultant. Chris Sawyer entered the games industry in 1983, writing games in Z80 machine code on the Memotech MTX home computer, and then the Amstrad CPC series home computer. From 1988 to 1993, Chris worked on PC conversions of Amiga games and was involved in many well-known projects, including Virus (1989), Campaign (1992), Birds of Prey (1992), Dino Dini's Goal (1993), and Frontier Elite 2 (1993).

Since 1993, Chris has been developing his own original games on the PC. In 2010, Chris had the opportunity of reverting the MicroProse license and decided that this would be the perfect time to re-design and master his classic game for mobiles and tablets so that it could be enjoyed both by its huge number of fans and a new generation of players. Chris wants TYCOON lovers across the world to enjoy the experience of playing the game on an iPhone, iPad, and Android.

Also, some information from Origin8's blog.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:18 pm 
Director
Director

Does Chris Sawyer know about OpenTTD?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:24 pm 
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

thphwh wrote:
Does Chris Sawyer know about OpenTTD?

Unless you think that he's either stupid or blind [edit]unable to search for "Transport Tycoon"[/edit], you can bet on that.

DevZone - home of the free NewGRFs: OpenSFX | OpenMSX | OpenGFX | Swedish Rails | OpenGFX+ Trains|RV|Industries|Airports|Landscape | NML

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:28 pm 
Director
Director

How do you think he feels about it?