Switch to 3d graphics

P1SIM is a commercial game under development featuring traffic, logistics, city building and more.
smallfly
Chairman
Chairman

Switch to 3d graphics

Post by smallfly »

I switch to 3d graphics with P1SIM. Please find a conceptual screenshot attached.
P1SIM_001.png
(1.43 MiB) Not downloaded yet
www.p1sim.org - P1SIM - Traffic, Logistics, City-Building & more
Join the discussions here on tt-forums.net!

rsdworker
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Switch to 3d graphics

Post by rsdworker »

looks great so allowing to see inside buildings? and such?

smallfly
Chairman
Chairman

Post by smallfly »

P1SIM_002.jpg
(649.54 KiB) Not downloaded yet

SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

Yes please! Looks like good progress changing the engine over!
Last known as: Weirdy

Chrill

Post by Chrill »

This looks similar to what you envisaged all those years ago! I like it! :)
Newest screenshots published January 9, 2019
Chrill's scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso
(Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)

robo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by robo »

There have been a few games which combine 2D graphics with 3D-animated vehicles like simcity4 or rise of nations.
If I look at the building on the screenshot, it's made of blocks, which reminds me the game block'hood, which is a good looking, creative game, but would probably perform much better in 2D like RCT2 than in 3D.

smallfly
Chairman
Chairman

Post by smallfly »

Playing around with simple train graphics ...
20200614_p1sim.jpg
(77.97 KiB) Not downloaded yet

glenjimen
Engineer
Engineer

Post by glenjimen »

Oh wow, I'm glad to see you are still making progress on this project.

I like the concentric curves, they are very clean. You can see the track is one grid square wide, how "tall" is it? That is, how much vertical clearance is reserved? I guess that's not important now, I'm just curious.

I will say, I don't like the slopes. It's a constant limitation in Locomotion, where you can have a slope OR a curve. Just like real railroads, you'd want the option to have both in the same location. The entire network of track, switches and sometimes stations may be on a constant grade / slope. I'd like to see much longer shallower slopes which function the same as flat track (with curves and switches), except of course the trains themselves would struggle up hill and roll easier down. It that case you would not need new 3D models for slopes, the track slope is mild enough you can just display flat track at a slight angle. The joints between the flat and slope would be unnoticed and it would eliminate the vertical curves seen in your image at the beginning/end of each slope.
Anyway, for P1SIM long more mild slopes may be impractical. You can choose to make it more like a game with exaggerated slopes, or more like a simulation with much flatter track. I guess the real consideration is how far you want the train to need to travel horizontally before it gets high/low enough to pass over/under other track, roads, buildings, etc. The farther the distance, the more difficult the game. Lighter trains can overcome steeper slopes, heavy freight trains need long mild slopes and broad curves. Oh man, this goes on and on... :mrgreen:

... I guess I'm more passionate about slopes than I thought. :?
... but what do I know? I play with trains.

smallfly
Chairman
Chairman

Post by smallfly »

Yeah steep slope angles are really a problem ... But as you already said they quickly get impractical if I set them too long. I will play around a bit with different settings. In parallel to Unity3d engine I am currently learning Ruby for Sketchup so that I can build up big show cases for P1SIM and perhaps animate some trains for a video. Then it is easier to discuss that stuff with better and dynamic visualization. By the way the vertical grid is 10 Meters, same like horizontal grid. My current approach is doing all the road and citizen stuff on the ground (level 0) and doing all the train stuff on level 1/2/3/4. Vertical distance between two train levels is 10 meters.

Return to “P1SIM”