Cities (growth, size, etc.)

P1SIM is a commercial game under development featuring traffic, logistics, city building and more.
LocoMH
Chairman
Chairman

Cities (growth, size, etc.)

Post by LocoMH »

Alright, so I have a few questions about cities (and I could imagine that you don't even know the answers to all those weird questions I have already :D ):

- Will cities be founded during the active game?

- Will cities grow during the active game?

- Will only the players be able to change something in the city or does the game actually change things in the city as well?

- In Locomotion or OTTD, cities were kind of limited in terms of size. In Loco, for example, a city had a size of, say, 30x30 tiles. Obviously, in P1SIM you're trying to follow more realistic approaches. Does that include the size of a city? If I imagine a huge metropolis as London, it has an area of many square km. It should be sufficient, to have cities of a size of (just to name a dimension) 2kmx2km, so like 400x400 tiles. However, I am aware of the many problems that come with cities that big - again, not seeing everything of the city when fully zoomed out. It would give inner city transport some spice, though. Building subways and urban rail networks could attract users, that wouldn't play the game if those elements were no part of it.

- Regarding the question above - the current maps seem to have a high amount of water, that is not connected (one could call it lakes, I guess :P ). I think this will tear cities apart. But I believe, the current maps are just for testing purposes, anyways.

- Will cities have a game-regulated politics section, that can deny you to build streets, stations, airports, whatever, kind of like OTTD?

Thank you, and if my questions keep you from developing the game further, don't bother to tell me or not to answer. But I hope, my questions will keep people interested, as they get to know the game a little better already (including myself, of course).
smallfly
Chairman
Chairman

Re: Cities (growth, size, etc.)

Post by smallfly »

The concept I currently have in mind works like that. All buildings/roads/tracks on a map are placed by one of the players. The type and size of buildings/roads/etc depends on the needs of the citizens. (At the very beginning of the game there are no citizens, thus no needs, but since you wanna earn some money you will place an appartment building to create some needs)

The citizens want a place to work, they want to buy different products at the supermarket. They wanna spend some time on the beach etc. All these needs force you to build up factories and a logistics network. And since you earn money with sold goods and passenger transports you will build new appartment buildings.

Since citizens want to visit other citizens from time to time and citizens want to visit other cities for sightseeing, you will found new cities and so on.
www.p1sim.org - P1SIM - Traffic, Logistics, City-Building & more
Join the discussions here on tt-forums.net!
LocoMH
Chairman
Chairman

Post by LocoMH »

Thanks for the explanation.
As maps are incredibly large, did you ever think about having only one map, in which everybody, who wants to play online, can join? And time also runs when you're not actually playing, so that it doesn't matter, how many people are playing at a certain time?
smallfly
Chairman
Chairman

Post by smallfly »

LocoMH wrote:Thanks for the explanation.
As maps are incredibly large, did you ever think about having only one map, in which everybody, who wants to play online, can join? And time also runs when you're not actually playing, so that it doesn't matter, how many people are playing at a certain time?
That would be nice in theory. But it doesnt work for real simulations like P1SIM.

Lets have a look on minecraft. There you could theoretically offer servers with thousands of players, because there is less data to be sent between them. But in P1SIM you have thousands of vehicles which need to be synchronized on all participating clients. Connecting two players will already be a coding challenge. And having 128 players as discussed a few years ago, will be very hard...

Next to that you would have additional problems like players destroying your networks by building stupid stuff etc.
LocoMH
Chairman
Chairman

Post by LocoMH »

I see your points. I wouldn't throw out the idea of having computer generated cities at all, though. It might not be exciting to build a whole city all by yourself - many times.
smallfly
Chairman
Chairman

Post by smallfly »

LocoMH wrote:I see your points. I wouldn't throw out the idea of having computer generated cities at all, though. It might not be exciting to build a whole city all by yourself - many times.
So lets hope Im brilliant enought to auto-generate cities ;-)
LocoMH
Chairman
Chairman

Post by LocoMH »

We'd sure love to help!
smallfly
Chairman
Chairman

Post by smallfly »

I will keep you posted, so that you have a chance to influence the process.
rsdworker
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by rsdworker »

smallfly
i have A LOT of ideas - currently i have some ideas also i am good at Testing Game - i have some pre alpha games and also one long term Alpha game - i would glad to help you

ideas

cities could request the buildings to player example if citzens need a more housing - then player can place houses blueprints or make new building and rent out or set for sale

to do this

example

city requests 10 houses to player - the message would be shown as email

player can use Modules (add Blueprints tab within it)

opens the tab - containing different layouts of buildings - example L shaped apartments or L shaped railway station etc

player selects Small house and places in world and Building team builds the house - once that is done player clicks on Building Menu and clicks on for sale and once its sold - the citizen moves in thus the menu is disabled on that building till citizen puts for sale

Apartments and offices and others like shops are different - player has to open inside to click the rooms inside of building to set the rooms for sale or rent out

Non rentable and non for sale buildings is fire station and police sttation and Hopstial and city owned buildings and factories owned by city etc
smallfly
Chairman
Chairman

Post by smallfly »

rsdworker wrote:i have A LOT of ideas
you better wait for the corresponding development phase. but for now let me tell you, the level of micro-management you suggested is a bit to high. have a look at this page
http://www.p1sim.org/?page_id=14 to get a feeling for how the game mechanics should work

again: lets get back to this point when the first buildings are visible on the screenshots.
rsdworker
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by rsdworker »

smallfly wrote:
rsdworker wrote:i have A LOT of ideas
you better wait for the corresponding development phase. but for now let me tell you, the level of micro-management you suggested is a bit to high. have a look at this page
http://www.p1sim.org/?page_id=14 to get a feeling for how the game mechanics should work

again: lets get back to this point when the first buildings are visible on the screenshots.
oh sorry i thought that's was too much but its ok
smallfly
Chairman
Chairman

Post by smallfly »

rsdworker wrote:oh sorry i thought that's was too much but its ok
just think of 1000 buildings. you wanna configure each individually?
rsdworker
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by rsdworker »

smallfly wrote:
rsdworker wrote:oh sorry i thought that's was too much but its ok
just think of 1000 buildings. you wanna configure each individually?

true that's would be paniful

Return to “P1SIM”