Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:21 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Construction
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:30 am 
Offline
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:14 pm
Posts: 393
smallfly wrote:
robo wrote:
Something you should avoid in my opinion is automated computercontrolled towngrowth, because it's always unsatisfying.

Let me correct that: It is unsatisfying in many (all) games till now ;) But yeah. Of course there is a big chance that it will be unsatisfying in P1SIM too. So I will provide an option "disable town growth".


You could simplify the citybuilding aspect. For example, I liked the simplified citybuilding of the strategy game "rise of nations", which has only a visual representation of a town which can grow/update with time, but has still a lot of different buildings (industry and infrastructure) you can build around it.
http://www.terranovaart.com/galleries/r ... ockup.html


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Construction
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:48 am 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:10 am
Posts: 3493
Location: West Java
robo wrote:
You could simplify the citybuilding aspect. For example, I liked the simplified citybuilding of the strategy game "rise of nations", which has only a visual representation of a town which can grow/update with time, but has still a lot of different buildings (industry and infrastructure) you can build around it.
http://www.terranovaart.com/galleries/r ... ockup.html

It won't be like OpenTTD anymore... also inside the towns there can't be roads. Even if towns are just a huuge industry-like thing, it'd make the game heavy I guess.

_________________
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Construction
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:56 am 
Offline
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:14 pm
Posts: 393
YNM wrote:
robo wrote:
You could simplify the citybuilding aspect. For example, I liked the simplified citybuilding of the strategy game "rise of nations", which has only a visual representation of a town which can grow/update with time, but has still a lot of different buildings (industry and infrastructure) you can build around it.
http://www.terranovaart.com/galleries/r ... ockup.html

It won't be like OpenTTD anymore... also inside the towns there can't be roads. Even if towns are just a huuge industry-like thing, it'd make the game heavy I guess.

There could be two entrypoints for in- or outgoing traffic (public transport or individual traffic going to working places or shopping centers outside of the town). This idea would simplify a lot of things, and if you make a game about trains, you are forced to keep the towns quite small in my opinion.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Construction
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:57 pm 
Offline
Chairman
Chairman
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:29 pm
Posts: 858
Location: Germany
robo wrote:
There could be two entrypoints for in- or outgoing traffic (public transport or individual traffic going to working places or shopping centers outside of the town). This idea would simplify a lot of things, and if you make a game about trains, you are forced to keep the towns quite small in my opinion.

In general it sounds like a good idea to me. But this idea won't be realized in P1SIM. In P1SIM you are able to manage the inner city traffic. The management aspect would get totally lost, when there would be only intercity roads.

_________________
www.p1sim.org - P1SIM - Traffic, Logistics, City-Building & more
Join the discussions here on tt-forums.net!


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Construction
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:31 am 
Offline
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:14 pm
Posts: 393
smallfly wrote:
robo wrote:
There could be two entrypoints for in- or outgoing traffic (public transport or individual traffic going to working places or shopping centers outside of the town). This idea would simplify a lot of things, and if you make a game about trains, you are forced to keep the towns quite small in my opinion.

In general it sounds like a good idea to me. But this idea won't be realized in P1SIM. In P1SIM you are able to manage the inner city traffic. The management aspect would get totally lost, when there would be only intercity roads.

It may be worth to spent one or two hours in playing the RON-Demo, because the rts-genre seem to be closer to the genre of transportgames than the citybuilding genre. And if you look at simcity5, this game seem to have a lot of problems, although many people you never hear may enjoy it ;-)


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Construction
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:45 am 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:10 am
Posts: 3493
Location: West Java
robo wrote:
There could be two entrypoints for in- or outgoing traffic (public transport or individual traffic going to working places or shopping centers outside of the town). This idea would simplify a lot of things, and if you make a game about trains, you are forced to keep the towns quite small in my opinion.

I'm not sure, but I don't really like to have it that way. There're local commutes, tourist, even students (as in the scheme), so I don't think that way it'll fits in. Unless it's really huge, but I don't want things to go slower. (hint : look at the large ploppable mod lots of SC4. The larger, the slower.)

robo wrote:
It may be worth to spent one or two hours in playing the RON-Demo, because the rts-genre seem to be closer to the genre of transportgames than the citybuilding genre. And if you look at simcity5, this game seem to have a lot of problems, although many people you never hear may enjoy it ;-)

SC 5 (or SC 2013 to differ it from the community-initiated one) just suffered from the main problems at start of an MMO game : everybody tried to rush in, the server crash. Wait for several months and look, now it's stable. There are several community-made mods even now.

I guess I just not willing to play a transport game with loads of premade ploppable objects like in your example, not sure why.

_________________
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Construction
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:02 am 
Offline
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:14 pm
Posts: 393
YNM wrote:
SC 5 (or SC 2013 to differ it from the community-initiated one) just suffered from the main problems at start of an MMO game : everybody tried to rush in, the server crash. Wait for several months and look, now it's stable. There are several community-made mods even now.

I guess I just not willing to play a transport game with loads of premade ploppable objects like in your example, not sure why.

There seem to be some others problems too, for example citizens changing there working or living places everyday :-) and the large population of a city, which can't be simulated in an agent-based model. I personally prefer a ron-like system to huge lifeless ghost-towns, as you see them in many other games, but I agree that you are loosing some creativity with this ploppable towns.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Construction
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:15 pm 
Offline
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:45 pm
Posts: 655
Location: FRANCE
Another possibility could be to separate the scales of the "normal" game, where you build intercity roads and tracks between cities and industries, and the inner city management part.
Basically the city could be like an industry, using the RON way of evolving graphics, but clicking on it would enable you to access a city map, basically a smalle map with a different scale, with entry points on the side representing the intercity roads you built on the other scale. There you could manage your town roads and buildings etc.

_________________
I am little, ugly, and nasty. How do you do?


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Construction
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:25 am 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:10 am
Posts: 3493
Location: West Java
cmoiromain wrote:
Another possibility could be to separate the scales of the "normal" game, where you build intercity roads and tracks between cities and industries, and the inner city management part.
Basically the city could be like an industry, using the RON way of evolving graphics, but clicking on it would enable you to access a city map, basically a smaller map with a different scale, with entry points on the side representing the intercity roads you built on the other scale. There you could manage your town roads and buildings etc.

If this game is an MMO, you could assign different people to manage the cities and the intercity transport. :mrgreen:
Gah but that took away the reason to try making this !

_________________
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Construction
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:17 am 
Offline
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:14 pm
Posts: 393
If you have to switch between several maps, this takes away a part of the fun of modelrailroading in my opinion. This may sound paradox, but it would make sense to neclect the factors of scale for a better (transport-)game. For example, in Sid Meiers Railroads you are not payed for distance. This would not only simplify programming but also give you more freedom to build railway networks.
Another problem of many multiplayer games is that they are primarly fast (tech-)races and you practically have no time to enjoy the creative side of building or observing ;.)
One reason is, that they all have only very simplified demand models where you can simply sink endless goods in towns. A better demand model means on the other side more work and you often may need to adjust some things, which is only possible if you see all information on one map.
Due to the strong time compression you usually have in economic games, it would make sense to leave out payment for slow or fast delivery too, because it's making things worse. :)


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Construction
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:46 pm 
Offline
Chairman
Chairman
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:29 pm
Posts: 858
Location: Germany
Modules can be placed on the map now.

http://www.p1sim.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/2013-09-18T21-39-59.png

_________________
www.p1sim.org - P1SIM - Traffic, Logistics, City-Building & more
Join the discussions here on tt-forums.net!


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Construction
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:54 pm 
Offline
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:58 pm
Posts: 142
looks nice so modular parts can be changed anytime? example add some lights and stuff?


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Construction
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:15 pm 
Offline
Chairman
Chairman
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:29 pm
Posts: 858
Location: Germany
rsdworker wrote:
looks nice so modular parts can be changed anytime? example add some lights and stuff?

yes

_________________
www.p1sim.org - P1SIM - Traffic, Logistics, City-Building & more
Join the discussions here on tt-forums.net!


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Construction
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:15 am 
Offline
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:58 pm
Posts: 142
smallfly wrote:
rsdworker wrote:
looks nice so modular parts can be changed anytime? example add some lights and stuff?

yes


great :) that's sound cool


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000-2018 phpBB Limited

Copyright © Owen Rudge/The Transport Tycoon Forums 2001-2018.
Hosted by Zernebok Hosting.