Construction

P1SIM is a commercial game under development featuring traffic, logistics, city building and more.
robo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: Construction

Post by robo »

smallfly wrote:
robo wrote:Something you should avoid in my opinion is automated computercontrolled towngrowth, because it's always unsatisfying.
Let me correct that: It is unsatisfying in many (all) games till now ;) But yeah. Of course there is a big chance that it will be unsatisfying in P1SIM too. So I will provide an option "disable town growth".
You could simplify the citybuilding aspect. For example, I liked the simplified citybuilding of the strategy game "rise of nations", which has only a visual representation of a town which can grow/update with time, but has still a lot of different buildings (industry and infrastructure) you can build around it.
http://www.terranovaart.com/galleries/r ... ockup.html
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

robo wrote:You could simplify the citybuilding aspect. For example, I liked the simplified citybuilding of the strategy game "rise of nations", which has only a visual representation of a town which can grow/update with time, but has still a lot of different buildings (industry and infrastructure) you can build around it.
It won't be like OpenTTD anymore... also inside the towns there can't be roads. Even if towns are just a huuge industry-like thing, it'd make the game heavy I guess.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
robo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by robo »

YNM wrote:
robo wrote:You could simplify the citybuilding aspect. For example, I liked the simplified citybuilding of the strategy game "rise of nations", which has only a visual representation of a town which can grow/update with time, but has still a lot of different buildings (industry and infrastructure) you can build around it.
It won't be like OpenTTD anymore... also inside the towns there can't be roads. Even if towns are just a huuge industry-like thing, it'd make the game heavy I guess.
There could be two entrypoints for in- or outgoing traffic (public transport or individual traffic going to working places or shopping centers outside of the town). This idea would simplify a lot of things, and if you make a game about trains, you are forced to keep the towns quite small in my opinion.
smallfly
Chairman
Chairman

Post by smallfly »

robo wrote:There could be two entrypoints for in- or outgoing traffic (public transport or individual traffic going to working places or shopping centers outside of the town). This idea would simplify a lot of things, and if you make a game about trains, you are forced to keep the towns quite small in my opinion.
In general it sounds like a good idea to me. But this idea won't be realized in P1SIM. In P1SIM you are able to manage the inner city traffic. The management aspect would get totally lost, when there would be only intercity roads.
www.p1sim.org - P1SIM - Traffic, Logistics, City-Building & more
Join the discussions here on tt-forums.net!
robo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by robo »

smallfly wrote:
robo wrote:There could be two entrypoints for in- or outgoing traffic (public transport or individual traffic going to working places or shopping centers outside of the town). This idea would simplify a lot of things, and if you make a game about trains, you are forced to keep the towns quite small in my opinion.
In general it sounds like a good idea to me. But this idea won't be realized in P1SIM. In P1SIM you are able to manage the inner city traffic. The management aspect would get totally lost, when there would be only intercity roads.
It may be worth to spent one or two hours in playing the RON-Demo, because the rts-genre seem to be closer to the genre of transportgames than the citybuilding genre. And if you look at simcity5, this game seem to have a lot of problems, although many people you never hear may enjoy it ;-)
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

I'm not sure, but I don't really like to have it that way. There're local commutes, tourist, even students (as in the scheme), so I don't think that way it'll fits in. Unless it's really huge, but I don't want things to go slower. (hint : look at the large ploppable mod lots of SC4. The larger, the slower.)
robo wrote:It may be worth to spent one or two hours in playing the RON-Demo, because the rts-genre seem to be closer to the genre of transportgames than the citybuilding genre. And if you look at simcity5, this game seem to have a lot of problems, although many people you never hear may enjoy it ;-)
SC 5 (or SC 2013 to differ it from the community-initiated one) just suffered from the main problems at start of an MMO game : everybody tried to rush in, the server crash. Wait for several months and look, now it's stable. There are several community-made mods even now.

I guess I just not willing to play a transport game with loads of premade ploppable objects like in your example, not sure why.
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
robo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by robo »

YNM wrote: SC 5 (or SC 2013 to differ it from the community-initiated one) just suffered from the main problems at start of an MMO game : everybody tried to rush in, the server crash. Wait for several months and look, now it's stable. There are several community-made mods even now.

I guess I just not willing to play a transport game with loads of premade ploppable objects like in your example, not sure why.
There seem to be some others problems too, for example citizens changing there working or living places everyday :-) and the large population of a city, which can't be simulated in an agent-based model. I personally prefer a ron-like system to huge lifeless ghost-towns, as you see them in many other games, but I agree that you are loosing some creativity with this ploppable towns.
cmoiromain
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by cmoiromain »

Another possibility could be to separate the scales of the "normal" game, where you build intercity roads and tracks between cities and industries, and the inner city management part.
Basically the city could be like an industry, using the RON way of evolving graphics, but clicking on it would enable you to access a city map, basically a smalle map with a different scale, with entry points on the side representing the intercity roads you built on the other scale. There you could manage your town roads and buildings etc.
I am little, ugly, and nasty. How do you do?
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

cmoiromain wrote:Another possibility could be to separate the scales of the "normal" game, where you build intercity roads and tracks between cities and industries, and the inner city management part.
Basically the city could be like an industry, using the RON way of evolving graphics, but clicking on it would enable you to access a city map, basically a smaller map with a different scale, with entry points on the side representing the intercity roads you built on the other scale. There you could manage your town roads and buildings etc.
If this game is an MMO, you could assign different people to manage the cities and the intercity transport. :mrgreen:
Gah but that took away the reason to try making this !
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
robo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by robo »

If you have to switch between several maps, this takes away a part of the fun of modelrailroading in my opinion. This may sound paradox, but it would make sense to neclect the factors of scale for a better (transport-)game. For example, in Sid Meiers Railroads you are not payed for distance. This would not only simplify programming but also give you more freedom to build railway networks.
Another problem of many multiplayer games is that they are primarly fast (tech-)races and you practically have no time to enjoy the creative side of building or observing ;.)
One reason is, that they all have only very simplified demand models where you can simply sink endless goods in towns. A better demand model means on the other side more work and you often may need to adjust some things, which is only possible if you see all information on one map.
Due to the strong time compression you usually have in economic games, it would make sense to leave out payment for slow or fast delivery too, because it's making things worse. :)
smallfly
Chairman
Chairman

Post by smallfly »

Modules can be placed on the map now.

http://www.p1sim.org/wp-content/uploads ... -39-59.png
rsdworker
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by rsdworker »

looks nice so modular parts can be changed anytime? example add some lights and stuff?
smallfly
Chairman
Chairman

Post by smallfly »

rsdworker wrote:looks nice so modular parts can be changed anytime? example add some lights and stuff?
yes
rsdworker
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by rsdworker »

smallfly wrote:
rsdworker wrote:looks nice so modular parts can be changed anytime? example add some lights and stuff?
yes
great :) that's sound cool

Return to “P1SIM”