Tracks & Trains

P1SIM is a commercial game under development featuring traffic, logistics, city building and more.
smallfly
Chairman
Chairman

Tracks & Trains

Post by smallfly »

I would like to use this thread to discuss all railroad related topics. How to build up rail networks, how to do the signaling, set up timetables, pathfinding, shunting and so on.

At the moment there are following track modules available (also see following post showing the available switches). Do you miss any?

//edit: note to myself: add tunnels and bridges
tileset_trackcurves_v2_preview.png
tileset_trackcurves_v2_preview.png (45.19 KiB) Viewed 22417 times
Attachments
tileset_trackcurves_v2.png
(469.7 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Last edited by smallfly on 16 May 2012 20:47, edited 1 time in total.
www.p1sim.org - P1SIM - Traffic, Logistics, City-Building & more
Join the discussions here on tt-forums.net!
smallfly
Chairman
Chairman

Re: Tracks & Trains

Post by smallfly »

tileset_trackswitches_v2_preview.png
tileset_trackswitches_v2_preview.png (55.18 KiB) Viewed 22415 times
Attachments
tileset_trackswitches_v2.png
(682.61 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
LocoMH
Chairman
Chairman

Post by LocoMH »

I know you're actually thinking about that, but...larger radii. 10 tiles for tracks at least, as a maximum. And will it be possible, to have curves starting with the largest radius going down to a smaller radius?
Hazzard
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Hazzard »

Is there going to be diagonal track? Looks good so far
smallfly
Chairman
Chairman

Post by smallfly »

LocoMH wrote:I know you're actually thinking about that, but...larger radii. 10 tiles for tracks at least, as a maximum. And will it be possible, to have curves starting with the largest radius going down to a smaller radius?
Larger radii will be added later. But if I add 10 tiles radii I have to add 8 and 9 tile radii as well, since the user would expect to easily add more lanes to the curve, which only works if every possible radius is available (up to a certain minimum and maximum range).
Hazzard wrote:Is there going to be diagonal track?
At the moment I don't plan to implement diagonal tracks. At first I just didn't like the diagonal look. But now I just don't find a way to create the modules. I will try to find a solution but I think there is none (solution = one or multiple diagonal track modules must fit between 45 degrees curves of any radius).
diagonal2.png
diagonal2.png (60.3 KiB) Viewed 22392 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

I have done some thinking about diagonal track sections for freerct; the corner from orthogonal to diagonal can't be a simple arc of a circle if it is going to line up with the grid lines. I did some calculations on this at some point, and I was planning to dig them up, would you be interested in them?
smallfly
Chairman
Chairman

Post by smallfly »

Zephyris wrote:the corner from orthogonal to diagonal can't be a simple arc of a circle if it is going to line up with the grid lines.
which makes the game loosing its (planned) intuitive handling. intuitive would be to have half of a normal curve (=45 degrees curve), adding some diagonal elements and putting the other half of the curve to the end. i think that is not possible.

if i would do some "calculation" i would surely find a way to implement diagonal tracks but the 45 degree curves wouldnt fit to 90 degree curves then :(
Zephyris wrote: I did some calculations on this at some point, and I was planning to dig them up, would you be interested in them?
yeah, of course. im always interested in further thoughts on this topic.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

smallfly wrote:
Zephyris wrote: I did some calculations on this at some point, and I was planning to dig them up, would you be interested in them?
yeah, of course. im always interested in further thoughts on this topic.
Cool, I will have a look for it when I am back from work.

It may be worth looking at the corner handling in RCT/Locomotion; the method of nesting corners of different radii is quite elegant. There is a radius 1 90 degree corner, radius 2 90 degree corner, radius 3 90 degree corner, then a radius [almost] 4 45 degree corner (and two of these make a radius 4 90 degree corner). To make a radius 5 corner you can use two radius [almost] 4 45 degree corners and one diagonal track piece. To make a radius 6 corner you can use two radius [almost] 4 45 degree corners and two diagonal track piece. etc.
smallfly
Chairman
Chairman

Post by smallfly »

Zephyris wrote:It may be worth looking at the corner handling in RCT/Locomotion; the method of nesting corners of different radii is quite elegant.
I installed locomotion to test it. I think it looks quite ugly since the gaps between the tracks are different.
comparison_locomotion_preview.png
comparison_locomotion_preview.png (64.01 KiB) Viewed 22354 times
Attachments
comparison_locomotion.png
comparison_locomotion.png (86.02 KiB) Viewed 5545 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Ugly but flexible... It is your call of course though!
smallfly
Chairman
Chairman

Post by smallfly »

Zephyris wrote:Ugly but flexible... It is your call of course though!
I will try to find a more beautiful way to solve it (if there is one...)
robo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by robo »

There are probably ways to solve it for topdown, but not for isometric view. Locomotion curvs and diagonal tracks were satiesfying for me,(it's even possible to build diagonal stations), but it could be better. Take a look at the demo wwww.trainplayer.com. I did a quick search on the web and found this: http://theory.stanford.edu/~amitp/game- ... roads.html
Maybe useful, although there are no vehicles on the roads.
smallfly
Chairman
Chairman

Post by smallfly »

robo wrote:There are probably ways to solve it for topdown, but not for isometric view. Locomotion curvs and diagonal tracks were satiesfying for me,(it's even possible to build diagonal stations), but it could be better. Take a look at the demo wwww.trainplayer.com. I did a quick search on the web and found this: http://theory.stanford.edu/~amitp/game- ... roads.html
Maybe useful, although there are no vehicles on the roads.
As soon as the top-down version of P1SIM is finished I will start developing the isometric version and want to take over as much features as possible. Thus I will only implement stuff that also works after switching to iso view.
robo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by robo »

I have no idea how difficult this would be, but what about using a different, simcity-like perspective instead of the dimetric projection, because it looks better for diagonal tracks?
Attachments
simcity social.jpg
simcity social.jpg (182.02 KiB) Viewed 21601 times
smallfly
Chairman
Chairman

Post by smallfly »

robo wrote:I have no idea how difficult this would be, but what about using a different, simcity-like perspective instead of the dimetric projection, because it looks better for diagonal tracks?
your picture only shows streets and tracks parallel to the grid. can you please post a picture that shows 45 degree tracks/roads?
robo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by robo »

It's a browsergame (simcity social). As you can imagine browsercode isn't really efficient and the game is more about creative citybuilding than traffic. The perspective is the same as for simcity4.
http://community.simtropolis.com/topic/ ... railroads/
ClaudeS
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ClaudeS »

Will have third rail and catenary electrified tracks? How will it be? Different paths? Paths with compatibility among themselves? Will have graphics for represent the electrification or by your "clean visual" philosophy you don't want to put it into the game?
smallfly
Chairman
Chairman

Post by smallfly »

ClaudeS wrote:Will have third rail and catenary electrified tracks? How will it be? Different paths? Paths with compatibility among themselves? Will have graphics for represent the electrification or by your "clean visual" philosophy you don't want to put it into the game?
There will probably be three track types. As you already mentioned: Third rail, catenary, and standard rail. The track gauge will be the same. Thus diesel rail vehicles can use all three types.

For the (non final) look of catenary tracks see here.
Nerok
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nerok »

Have you thought about the possibility of laying multiple tracks at once? Double or maybe triple tracks? I know it sound kinda lazy with multiple tracks at once, but I have often had people building track right where I wanted them because of single track laying.
smallfly
Chairman
Chairman

Post by smallfly »

Nerok wrote:Have you thought about the possibility of laying multiple tracks at once? Double or maybe triple tracks? I know it sound kinda lazy with multiple tracks at once, but I have often had people building track right where I wanted them because of single track laying.
there will be plenty of comfort building options like that. so the answer is yes.

Return to “P1SIM”